Major Applewhite as HC offers new possibilities for our offense

Does this mean coaches or trainers?

3 Likes

David Barronā€™s article in the Chronicle today had an interview with Mack Brown saying he hoped Major got the job at Houston. Mack has more ties to Major than he does Herman; coached him and had him as his OC. Mack was also critical of how Herman left Houston in a different interview I saw; saying that it could come back to bite him if recruits think that he did lie. Reading a few other things from the non-pro-UT journalists; Herman isnā€™t the slam dunk hire with the fan base that they are trying to portray. Strong had a lot of support with the players and many others in the fan base and they are upset because Strong never really had a chance due to some boosters. Herman better win and better win quick; seeing some are expecting at least 9 wins his first season.

Offensively; we probably go away from the read option if we truly intend to start Allen. That offense would be a bad fit for him. Wonder if Major goes after Sterling Gilbert.

1 Like

I canā€™t say I watched Kyle Allen all that closely at A&M. Is he as good a runner as Trevor Knight? If so, we may be able to keep some of the read option. But Iā€™d like to see him using that big arm to chunk it down the field. On that note though, not sure how accurate of a deep ball thrower he is.

As for Sterlin Gilbert, whatā€™s his background? I just remember being shocked that UT was so desperate to hire him away from Tulsa. According to Wikipedia, all of his Texas ties (except for his one year under Charlie Strong) are from being a high school coach at various places, so that could be good. What about this Jeff Traylor guy that Herman immediately fired? From what Iā€™m reading, sounds like heā€™s got some serious recruiting credentials. And if heā€™s looking for a new jobā€¦

Tilman totally shot that one down, and we should quit repeating it. Major had no barriers on returning to UT. None whatsoever.

But heā€™s a Coog now. And now he can design and run his own offense. I saw what he did at Rice and it was a pretty wide open offense. And he has Casey with him at UH. Should be interesting.

1 Like

Kyle Allen has athleticism, but isnā€™t a runner. Heā€™s a more traditional QB with a great arm.

I think Traylor will be a target to put on the staff. Lot of UT folks were upset that Herman didnā€™t give him a chance.

Gilbert is a Brilesā€™ offense guy; learned under Dino Babers and then Phillip Montgomery. Not sure if Applewhite would want to go in that direction, but he is available right now.

2 Likes

So, to give us a comparison we can all appreciate, I considered Case Keenum to have athleticism, but wasnā€™t a runner. Is Allen about on that level as far as a runner? Of course, that may not be fair. While Keenum wasnā€™t necessarily a runner, he was elusive in the pocket.

Tough to say. I donā€™t think he has Caseā€™s athleticism; but he has Caseā€™s accuracy and a stronger arm. Reminds me of David Klingler more than any more recent Cougar QB.

Highlights from A&M:

Thatā€™ll do. He looked plenty athletic in that video. Heā€™ll do well here, especially with Applewhite coaching him up.

When I watched the video and also talking to my son when he played at A&M. Great athleticism but if you watch his footwork is bad in several of the throws and this is a highlight video. After watching what Applewhite has done with Ward, imagine the impact he has most likely had with Allen this past year and will going into next year.

Note: This is not taking anything away from Postma and King who I expect to make a strong effort to stake their claim to the starting QB position next year.

I expect the 2017 QB job to be Kyle Allenā€™s for the taking. But having Postma, King and Sells on the depth chart should certainly push him and keep him motivated. Iā€™d like to see Bryson Smith redshirt next year and learn everything he can about playing QB at the college level. I think that kid is going to be Greg Ward 2.0.

2 Likes

I beg to differ. Our pass first offenses destroyed average to poor defenses. Our run-n-shoot, air-raid and spread have been about 2-10 against the best defenses the last 25 years.

1 Like

Allen can run.

From the UT games I watched, I was not that impressed with Gilbert. Yes they did put up some points many times, but I also thought there were some really questionable personnel decisions (wildcat) and play calling in some key moments. I try not to criticize coaches much, but for you Gilbert fans, just curious as to why you are so impressed with him?

Hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Tell it to Klingler. Hell, tell it to Mike Leach. He closed the gap between Washington State and PAC 12 teams with 3 times the talent his team had.

Notice I didnā€™t even mention Andre Ware.

I was impressed with his offense at Bowling Green. He also did well in his one year at Tulsa. Youā€™re right though, last year at Texas wasnā€™t great. Could be the freshman QB, could be the chaos of the program, could be that he canā€™t handle the big stage. Donā€™t know.

Iā€™d be surprised if heā€™s brought in though; Major having no experience with that offense probably means he wonā€™t want to try it in his first year.

1 Like

What ā€œbest defensesā€ did any of them beat? A&M one out of four years for Ware and Klingler combined? Washington State got 28 on Boise State, 24 on Colorado and 17 on Washington. That would make them 1-3 against good defenses. Definitely not great.

Feel free to list out the great games our pass happy offenses had against great defenses instead of generically naming QBā€™s, coaches and schools.

1 Like

We can win the conference occasionally with a pass happy offense, but we arenā€™t putting up 30 plus points against the ā€œbest defensesā€ that you alluded to earlier.

1 Like

Sterlin and Mattox took UT from the 100 offense in the country in 2015 to number 19 in 2016. Now, Tyrone Swoopes is horrendous. But still pretty good. I think perhaps Strong is the one who wanted Swoopes in the gameā€¦I hope. I think UH would be doing very well to have Gilbert and Mattox if they are willing to merge their offense with Major/.Hermanā€™s. Additionally bring on Jeff Traylor!

3 Likes

I agree Brad, but I also think defense as a whole in the big 12 was garbage. The improvement was good, but I think a big part of that was talent maturing. But yes, he may be really good here.

I hope we bring Briles in and destroy everything.