Major Applewhite Rice Post game Presser

2 Likes

JD asking the questions about Peyton Turner. Guy reminded me of Cam Malveaux when he was in there.

2 Likes

I had trouble recognizing some guys without their nameplates. Was finally able to pull a roster up on my phone after Turner’s INT. I had no idea he was that big!

On another note, cell reception (Verizon) and free wifi in the stadium are both terrible. Not sure what to do to fix that, but my phone was useless for checking stats and other scores until about midway through the 3rd quarter when the crowd started thinning.

4 Likes

Turner was out lowest rated recruit last year. After all the grief the DC took from Miami fans and some of our fans, nobody is complaining now.

7 Likes

That’s amazing, the lowest rated guy has made the biggest play so far. So much for ratings and experts

2 Likes

Heart, desire and the way players are Coached make up for many stars.

1 Like

Hyperbole. Stuard, Small, and Young were all rated lower according to 247sports. Wow, Davion Ford was rated lower, too.

Turner worked hard and added a ton of weight. He was mostly a basketball player playing football in high school and, I think, was listed at 217 when he committed. He’s gotta be up around 250 or 260 now. Credit his work ethic and the strength staff.

Just another case of UH finding guys that can play and not worrying if they don’t fit the mold.

2 Likes

Which is the complete opposite of last year. I had perfect reception and interwebs the entire last season, then this year it’s as if someone in IT shotgunned a 12pack and puked all over the server room…

2 Likes

I don’t think our defense has truly been tested yet. I want to see how D’Onofrio reacts when we face an explosive offense like TT, SMU, Tulsa, USF or Memphis.

I also give a lot of credit to AJ Blum for the development of our d-line. In my opinion, he was our best assistant coach hire of this season so far.

The weird thing this year is Tulsa really isn’t racking up yards through the air like I expected them to. It has all been on the ground, which plays right into our strength. Against Okie State, they had 188 yards passing on 20-38 (4.9 avg). They had an offensive explosion against ULALA, but only 243 of their 667 yards were through the air (14-20 for 12.1 avg). Then against Toledo, only 125 of their 548 yards were in the air (12-20 for 6.4 avg). Tulsa has been a pretty good running team the last few years, but they are extremely unbalanced in favor of the run this year. That bodes very, very well for us.

3 Likes

Watch out for Willis-Dalton and Anenih. Those two are going to be real rush options for us going forward. Applewhite can really recruit gems.