Mark D’Onofrio Post Practice 10-16-18

Making one on one tackles is imperative. We cannot let Navy’s QB and RB break tackles for long gains.

3 Likes

Getting Owens back this game would be big time.

4 Likes

Yup. Wrap up and hang on. No need to go for a big hit and whiff.

1 Like

If we can’t learn to tackle better, when we play Memphis, Darrell Henderson may run for 300 on us.

3 Likes

Jimmy
I wouldn’t expect to see him much imo…not game want return a guy who just had meniscus surgery…lot cut blocks…but if he can play some downs great…he faced Georgia Tech while at Miami so he has experience

1 Like

If I was the reporter I would ask: “Coach, what specifically can you do as a coach to move us from
127th in pass defense to the top fifty?”

Not schedule Tech?

1 Like

Egbule is the most important player on defense this game IMO. He has to set the tone for the LBs in regards to run fits and eye discipline. If he’s off, then we can expect the whole LB corp to be off because he has the most experience regarding the triple option.

1 Like

I watched last years game first half last night.
Egbule and Hines both had issues…more Hines.
He made some plays…but he took chances.
Both our OLBs will be lined up over Navy A Backs off each tackle. When Navy goes outside, the A Back will often seal off the OLB. Hines often cheated and went under or inside that block instead of fighting across blockers face …so left the alley open. Egbule tried to do it text book and executed well at times. But he would become consumed with his A Back read…and lose track of ball at times. They ran B Gap dive and Egbule was trying fight across face A Back when ball already past him inside. It’s not easy…Navy switches how they block…once you think you have it figured out, they run same play but block it differently.

5 Likes

Yes, I noticed Hines was more of a knifer than a edge setter or a guy who can hold the point of contact. Egbule is a little better at the point of contact but I have yet to see him get off of blocks consistently(thoughts?). I guess it’s not the end of the world if we can at least hold the line of scrimmage. Ed and Carter will eventually get some TFLs and put Navy behind the chains. Allowing Navy outside the tackles is a no-no. We honestly need just 4 stops on defense to win this. In a perfect world all 4 come early in drives (3 and out) and our offense scores off of them. It’s college football though, what ever goes exactly as planned? haha

1 Like

Egbule got stronger I think. I’ve seen few plays this year where it jumped out at me. CMD asks him to do a lot…pass cover and rush.
He has been involved in few turnovers as well.
Other than goaline pass coverage it appears he blew vs Rice, he’s been pretty solid. Had a missed one on one tackle vs ECU on 3rd and long near sideline…should have been well short .
I watched his interview posted here…seems like a smart kid and team player.
I think he has played well overall and done his job 99% of time…last year seemed more like 80.

3 Likes

The Tech game skewed the numbers but when you’ve been leading in games the other team is going to throw the ball. They will also complete some of those passes.

1 Like

He has gotten better. I’ve notice that when tackles give him space and he tries to execute the hoop he’s gotten up feild. Last year they got hands on him a bunch, even if tackles gave him space. We’ll know if he’s arrived as a pass-rusher when he can get off of blocks consistently. He’s still really athletic.

2 Likes

Not only do our LB’s need to be in the right position the DE will need to be able to shed blockers and chase down the FB when they run plays to the outside. A few years ago we didn’t have an answer. Our starting DE was injured and the backup (can’t remember his name) didn’t have the quickness to keep up. I don’t think Turner has the speed so hopefully our LB’s play assignment football.

Well then why isn’t Alabama 128th? What does he need to do?

TT held about every play across the line so was hard to judge. Both hands out on shoulders with fist full of fabric

Godfrey did a good job last year. Navy likes block our Mike LB…last year was Adams vs Navy…with play side OT. Godfrey has to try and push OT down line inside and then slide back out to edge to play QB if no dive. He did a very good job. Thurman was good on other end as well. So would be Godfrey and Turner this year.

Their players are significantly better.