MEMORIAL DAY

Let’s not forget what today represents. Those of you who, like me, wore the khaki. whites or navy blue will never forget those who laid the ultimate sacrifice on the altar of freedom. Take a few minutes to listen to this song which captures it all.

4 Likes

My father came home with metal still in his buttocks from a mine that exploded behind him as he was ground guiding a group of trucks to the front at Anzio. He carry it to 1960 when it finally made it close enough to the surface to be removed. He never once mentioned the pain of it to my brother or I. He finished as a full colonel in the national guard. When my oldest graduated from camp for the national guard he wore his uniform with his ribbons and it was so cool to see so many younger man come up salute him and thank him for his service.

6 Likes

Great song (words, voice, music) but its always been difficult for me to listen to it. Very emotional.

Thank you very much for the song. It is very hard for me to listen to it because all of the memories that I have, but also feels good to remember about things that happened in my past. Thank you very much

If you’re not upset by #MAGA hashtags & you’re on Twitter, this heartbreaking 2017 video of a war-widow at her husband’s casket is what Memorial Day is all about. (click link after hashtags at the end)

https://twitter.com/i/status/832423493446819842

2 Likes

For those of you who enjoyed TA’s Arlington here’s another of my favorites which is a little different twist on today. Hope you enjoy it…it’s not well known.

5 Likes

Gut wrenching…my heart goes out to all our Gold Star Families and those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice.

4 Likes

Today I remember July 29, 1967 on Yankee Station in the Gulf of Tonkin. That morning I lost 134 shipmates aboard the USS Forrestal.

3 Likes

Very sad to watch his widow receive her husband. If you ever have the opportunity to be on a plane that is bringing one of our soldiers home, please be respectful and stay on board until the fallen soldier clears the plane. I listened to a military officer say yesterday one of his most disappointing moments in his life was to witness half a plane rush to disembark before a fallen soldier had been taken off the plane.

Red80, were you on the USS Forrestal?

https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/disasters-and-phenomena/forrestal-fire.html

1 Like

Yes. I served aboard the Forrestal for 2 years, including during the fire. Before the Forrestal, I went to FT “A” school in Bainbrdige, MD for 18 weeks. Before that I was aboard the USS Little Rock. When the Forrestal went back into the Norfolk Naval Shipyard after the 1968-69 Med cruise, I went to the Lexington for two months to disconnect all of the gunfire control equipment, and then to the Intrepid for my last 9 months.

The Little Rock is a museum in Bufflo, NY. The Intrepid is a museum in NY City. the Lexington is a museum in Corpus Christi. The Forrestal was scrapped. I feel like a museum piece waiting for the scrap heap.

4 Likes

Wow!

From the pictures, that was one hell of a fire and set of explosions.

Mike, thank you for your service…and your posts indicate that you are far from scrap heap material. You are a walking history book, which I appreciate.
It is always amazing to me to hear the different avenues by which we all became Cougars !