Memphis - I've been living under a rock apparently

ok I’m certain this has been covered already but, Memphis has the #1 recruiting class in the nation?!?!

(2) 5 stars and (5) 4 stars?

This doesn’t even come close to passing the sniff test. How is this possible?

2 Likes

Coach Penny Hardaway

2 Likes

There has GOT to be some “under-the-table” stuff here…

2 Likes

And major $$$upport from Fedex…

2 Likes

I think we will match up well to them, we have the better coach and players to match.

1 Like

Yes, it has been discussed here; and, yes, I agree that it doesn’t pass the sniff test. Only time will tell if all of this “out of nowhere” star recruiting just coincidentally hit Memphis simply because of Penny.

1 Like

And didn’t this happen before at Memphis when Calipari was their coach? Didn’t they end up vacating most of their wins leading up to a Final Four and Title Game appearance?

Remember that Memphis sits right in the middle of the SEC whose motto seems to be - if you ain’t cheatin’ you ain’t tryin’

2 Likes

it passes the sniff test for me…

half of the kids he coached in high school…half of the rest are from memphis

the last 2 super touted guys committed in like june after everyone else and momentum had already been created

3 Likes

If that is the case, then recruiting should drop off after this year …?

imo its a 50/50 chance…if he can prove he can win and put players in the draft theyll keep doing it every year…
if they flop then its likely done

they currently arent the favorite for a single 2020 top 100…but have made the “top 5 list” for a quiet a few 5stars

2 Likes

Also keep in mind Memphis has Mike Miller as an asst coach and he has deep AAU ties. I have a decent amount of family in Memphis and I can tell you Memphis kids want to play for Memphis. That is huge thing for the local kids to play for the home school.

They are also a traditional basketball school with some history so I’m not sure if they can replicate this class but they will always recruit well. Even Pastner recruited well he just couldn’t coach.

1 Like

Yes, Sir!

This should also be UH situation to our home grown kids…

2 Likes

This isn’t football, you can get hot and make a run in the dance out of the AAC. The
competition is good enough to get a high seed and a good draw. We are still building on the
Michigan loss.

2 Likes

Penny can win the sprint but Sampson will take the marathon and the trophy. Sampson’s run-in with the NCAA has made him a wise and thoughtful executive. He can see the future and its built on character and hard work.

1 Like

Doesn’t Memphis have great basketball facilities? Couldn’t Penny be just a great recruiter?

Remember basketball is not like football. There are no strategic metrics from keeping you out of the tournament. If you have a winning program, you have a chance to be in the NCAA championship.

2 Likes

We should be glad Memphis appears to have a very talented team. It makes the AAC stronger. If they are better than us, then so be it. In sports, only the strong survive. Our challenge is to keep up with the stronger teams. National championships are not awarded to the weak.

6 Likes