Memphis/UCF now cancelled due to Irma

This was from an article in the Hartford Courant in regards to the USF-UCONN cancellation:

The cancellation of this game could have an impact on the East Division race. For example, if either USF or UConn is 6-1 at season’s end, and another team is 7-1, the 7-1 team would earn the championship game bid because division champions are determined by winning percentage, an AAC spokesman said.

1 Like

Memphis is beat up and benefit by avoiding early conference game while they juggle roster. UCF was likely their toughest East division opponent. If Memphis can run the West they have weak East opponents and would be 7-0 which beats 7-1 for West title (or similarly 6-1 beats 6-2).

UCF, UConn and USF will all be at 7 conference games in the East. For UCF, Memphis was a more difficult matchup than most of their East division opponents and 1 of 2 tough West games (now they only have Navy) while USF has still has UH and Tulsa back to back before UCF-USF game.

In short, Memphis has to win as many games as all their division foes, in one less opportunity. Memphis would be better off playing UCF, even if UCF was the conference favorite, than not playing them at all. Sucks for the team that started their home opener by running UH’s flag across their field.

Yep, a loss to any of their division foes would hurt more than a normal loss as they’d not only not have the tiebreaker, but they’d lose a game to that team. There would be no chance for them to end in a 3 way tie either.

At least for USF/UCF/UCONN, there are 3 teams that are affected in their division.

Looking at ways to reschedule both games:

• Both UCF and Memphis could cancel their OOC games on Sep 30 (UCF vs. Maine and UCF at Georgia State). Memphis-UCF would be played on Sep 30th. Trying to make schedule changes without cancelling these games becomes a nightmare.
  • ECU/UCONN would move from Nov 4th to Sept 23rd (Both have an open date)
  • UH/USF would move from Nov 4th to Nov 11th (Both have an open date)
  • USF/UCONN would be played Nov 4th (Both now have an open date due to the two previous moves)

I think this would be the part USF would refuse. I’m sure they see UH as their toughest conference home game of the year already. They wouldn’t want to give UH two weeks to heal up and prepare for the game. They would give up being the favorite to us basically. I’m sure we are circled on the calendar seeing as most project that to be the game that will determine home field advantage in the championship. 7-0 > 7-1

Then again, if USF went 6-1, beat Houston and Houston went 7-1, that missing game against UConn did just cost them hosting Houston again.

1 Like

UCF loses another game, this time against Georgia Tech.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/11/ucf-georgia-tech-canceled-hurricane-irma?utm_campaign=si-ncaafb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Is it too late to trade rice for Georgia Tech or Indiana? haha.

And should I be concerned by what this means?

“The AAC is exploring scenarios for the league race and could have its athletic directors determine the tiebreakers to use.” I guess I can wait to see how the AAC West unfolds before I lose any sleep but the thought of ADs getting to choose sounds "interesting:.

All we need to do is win out. That’ll take care of itself.

1 Like

Very. I find it very disconcerting that the conference is willing to cancel conference games this early in the schedule and not make them up and then change the tiebreaker rules during the season.

There are options to cancel non-conference games or move a few games and make sure the games are played.