Montana and the Super Bowl Guinness beer commercial

The highlites in the back ground were the 1979 Cotton Bowl Classic showing the UH Cougars making a tackle.

1 Like

That one stings a little, but not as bad as the Jimmy Valvano one. Thank GOD the Jimmy V Foundation came from that.

2 Likes

Can you post a link with that ad with us in it?

Here it is:

That 2 point conversion was incomplete… too bad no instant replay

I introduced this topic over a month ago. The point after TD was a kick, not a 2 point conversion.

Does anyone here have the ability to zoom in on the ND catch out of bounds then we could go viral with it
For some justice.

1 Like

It does take a great comeback victory vs a great opponent to make history so we at least were considered a great opponent. Had Houston not been highly ranked and ahead then it wouldn’t have hit the charts as a the greatest comeback for ND. We at least get a ton of pub from this game over the decades. I do believe the ND wr was out of bounds bc so many here believe it. I wish someone had a camera shot but the ncaa prob has film to zoom in since it was on tv.

See the video entitled THE CHICKEN SOUP GAME (1979 COTTON BOWL CLASSIC)

Notice how on the winning TD, no UH player or UH bystander protested the call, which leads me to believe the call was good.

Our fans say he was out of bounds though.

Good point about nobody arguiing from a UH perspective. It is impossible from the picture to tell if he was in or out. But look at the play with 28 seconds left. We had a guy coming right at Montana and he got pushed in the back by the ND OL player. That missed penalty which was very obvious most likely cost UH the ball game.

I was there at the game. The wind was the major factor. Look at the scoring. If you had the wind at your back you scored. If you didn’t, you got scored on. There was only one score of anykind that was against the wind and UH did it in the 1st quarter.

Another play that could have had and impact on the final score was the blocked punt for the TD. There was no way he should have scored but the Coogs only have themselves for not tackling the ND player. It would have utilized valuable time late in the game with just making a tackled and making ND drive another 25 yards or so to score. Instead ND got a free TD they should have never received.

1 Like

I was at the game. Unfortunately I was sitting on the opposite side of the field with no view of the play. Needless to say it was the lowest I felt about UH athletics until the loss to NC State. Seems we have been close on numerous occasions but no NC in basketball.

1 Like

The Cotton Bowl loss & the Albuquerque loss totally captured Jim McKay’s “ the thrill of victory & the agony of defeat”. Cotton Bowl, Big lead & on our way to a defining win & then total agony. NCAA Finals, crush Louisville & then the last second crush. After both games a surreal “This did not happen” but it had! Still hurts & always will hurt!

1 Like

The good news is that 1 year later we scored on a play that could have gone either way with the tipped ball and beat NB in a come from behind win to win the Cotton Bowl trophy. But that game gets little play. Its all about ND and Montana although both teams were better in 1980 game.

1 Like