More displeasure in the PAC 12!

Wake me up when my Coogs get into a P5. Otherwise all this PAC stuff is wasted time. let’s concentrate on beating UConn Thursday night

13 Likes

Nothing will help until they expand. Maybe they are doing their due diligence before that becomes an option…

2 Likes

I think the more displeasure by those outside the SEC and B1G is a good thing. It may not lead to UH get a P5 invite, but it might lead to some sort of revenue cap for conferences or schools to maintain competitiveness (and push back towards amateur athletics - yes I know that will be taken out of context here)

1 Like

You think SEC, and Big 10 will agree to take less money so Big 12, Pac and ACC can earn more?

PAC 12 is becoming Big East. They are the next Giant to die!

5 Likes

Nothing? They could try and consolidate their regional networks into a single network similar to the Big 10 and SEC networks. That’s the single biggest reason the Big 10 and SEC networks get more distribution. Second, they could move their league offices from downtown San Francisco to somewhere else to save money on PAC 12 overhead costs. Every other P5 conference has their HQ in a suburb or smaller metro area to keep costs down.

1 Like

Exactly. That’s why I’ve never been a fan of our joining the PAC. Plus the 2- time zone difference for a lot of games would not be good. I need my beauty rest!

2 Likes

ddkately wrote: “PAC 12 is becoming Big East. They are the next Giant to die!”

I think not; the first to die will probably be the Little-12!

6 Likes

As long as UT and OU continue being in the top 10 in revenue, and the Big 12 regularly puts a team in the playoffs I think they will survive. Texas will only move if the Big 12 falls really far behind in revenue and if the Big 10 invited them.

I doubt very seriously Texas ever lands in the Big 10 for two main reasons (although there are probably more reasons I could name). First, Texas would have to give up the LHN and buy into the B10 network the same way Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers did. Second, Texas would become to the Big 10 what WVU is to the Big 12, the geographic outlier that’s not contiguous with the rest of the league’s footprint.

I’ve never understood why Coogfans consider PAC12 to be an option. Listen, it’s a logistical nightmare, and while Houston is a big market, UofH doesn’t move the needle. Pez scheduled OOC games against teams he already had their # on speed dial. Nothing to see her. It’s living in denial since PAC12 pretty much shot down those rumors.

As we all know, Fertitta knew we were in trouble when the BigXII-4+2 board didn’t even show up to the interview. Coogfans can poke fun of and mock the “Little 12” as a show of jealous affection, but it’s counter-productive. We still want what they have, which is access to bigger resources. Laugh all you want. I know, it hurts to be the bridesmaid left at the alter. At the end of the day, any P5 is a vehicle to legitimize our brand on the national stage. I still think BigXII-4+2 is our best shot.

The SEC is a pipe dream. Very unlikely we go there. It should be our #1 destination.

I like the ACC fit, but I have no indication they are crushing on UofH. It would be baller to play basketball in this conference. Other than Clemson, no school scares me in football.

Renu and the Big10 value academic research. We have that going for us. However, until UofH is a member of AAU it’s a non-starter.

AAC expansion is the best option we can hope for right now. Adding BYU and Boise St. would be a great look for our conference. We’ve seen this dog and pony show before, and we don’t need to fear that UofH won’t be prepared the next go around. We have stepped things up academically and aesthetically. We’re ready! No news is good news. I wouldn’t focus on rumors as it’s in UofH best interest to play this close to the vest. Only Presidents of the University vote on conference realignment. We need to be courting them so when the time comes UofH will be tabbed next up.

2 Likes

The Athletic is trying to get some rumors started.

Basically, the argument is the Big 12 should raid 6 teams from the Pac: USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and Arizona State

To be clear, I’m confident they’re blowing smoke (I don’t think UW or UO could leave without their less-attractive in-state partner) but let’s say that did happen – the leftovers would definitely be able to form the foundation of a much more attractive conference for UH, right? I’m thinking something like:

Boise State
BYU
Cal
Colorado
Colorado State
Houston
Oregon State
Stanford
Utah
Washington State

Looks like an AAC West

3 Likes

I think that idea of bringing over USC and Oregon to the Big 12 is probably ideal for them to get their 3rd tier TV deals like LHN. That way those schools can get that extra value they think they are worth and remain in the conference.

Well reasoned.

USC & UCLA would never let Texas rule over them ever!

Or UH & SMU (Houston/Dallas combo) to recruiting.

1 Like

USC is more likely to join The BIG rather than the b12

2 Likes

It’s sad when we have to resort to talking about fairy tale stuff when the Coogs are in the midst of spring training. In all my years as a Coog I have never seen Coog football as quiet as it is…it will be interesting to see how many season tickets we sell…hoping for the best…