More on Pac 12 Big 12 movement

Right now, OU is more of the unstable member, but otherwise the conference is not unstable.

There is a big opportunity for the Big 12 to do something, but based on the past, do many people really think they will. I don’t.

I think it would have been great for UH to have gotten into the SEC in 1970, but I wasn’t following college football at that time so know little about it.

Of course. But I personally would make it a last resort after the other P5’s.

I could see the Arizona’s schools leaving to the Big 12 . The pack then adds Houston and another school

Why would the Big 12 take two schools from a relatively low population state? Adds very few eyeballs on TV.

This is internet BS.

3 Likes

They also own the Big 14, Big 8 and SWC names too.

Why do you feel like OU is more unstable than texas?

“Why would the Big 12 take two schools from a relatively low population state? Adds very few eyeballs on TV.
This is internet BS.”

The same reason they took TCU and WVU. Whatever that is

They took them because they were immediately available. No waiting period. Their TV contract required a minimum of 10 football teams or they would take a cut in TV payout.

3 Likes

Population of the Houston metro is roughly 7 million that’s split between supporting multiple schools.

Population of Phoenix-Tempe region is 5.5 million, while total population of Az is 7.3 million, which overwhelmingly support the 2 Arizona schools.

Adding UA/ASU actually makes a lot of sense.

2 Likes

The arguement can be made that just because you have a large alumni base doesn’t mean they all, or a good number support the football team. Coogs know this all too well, and the Arizona schools don’t strike me as extremely supportive through rainy weather seasons either.

Nonetheless, last time I checked, we still had the largest alumni base in the city, have had really good conference ratings, and will get behind anything that proves exciting.

If UH is invited to a P5 (although ratings this year suggest we’re better than the ACC), then people will show up. We also need to remember that Forever Coogs are everywhere, so eyeballs are not limited to the Greater Houston area.

1 Like

That’s BS, people didn’t show up when we were in SWC with Texas, Texas A&M, TT, etc. they would show up at first cause it’s new , a P5, but if we start losing it will be empty again. We don’t have a strong fan base like Texas, Texas A&M, etc. I wish we did, we don’t and may never have now with our international flavor of students who don’t seem to care one way or the other

1 Like

Most UT fans and articles I come across seem to be about competition (always arrogant of course) money, etc…, but most seem happy with the income levels and division of money. The LHN ends and that could change, but I think they would push again for a conference network - UT was not the ones that blocked it in the first place, that was OU and A&M. I also come across more good natured ribbing from UT fans when playing the :lesser" schools, OU tends to do it with less of the good natured part.

OU power people, including AD and president, still seem upset with money and being in the Big 12 conference based on various articles, boards, and conversations I have had. Their boards are more often talking of wanting out than UT boards as a percentage of the school. OU feels they should be top dog in money it seems (they don’t realize they are in a state with less than 4 million total).

Of course this is just from all the reading and people I come across as a college football fan.

And Deloss said he could think if 20 teams over us, so they went with TCU.

will never happen

1 Like

Yeah probably won’t, but it’s not a senseless move if the Big 12 were to add ASU and UA.

My brother, sister and mother live in Norman. OU wants out of the Big 12.

80% of the Big 12 is stable because they’re scared to death that #1a or #1b will decide to leave and their house of cards will crumble. Additionally, outside of any particular school’s in-state rival, the ten programs in that conference do not care about the conference. Never have, never will. It’s a paycheck to all of them. The AAC, on the other hand, sees the benefit in all programs becoming stronger and appear to be buying into the “conference team” concept. We pull for each other and take pride when one of our partner schools succeed (all in the name of strengthening the AAC, of course).

The PAC may be in a rut…but in the end, the core of that conference is much stronger, much more stable and probably better aligned with the direction (athletically and academically) that UH wants to head. If the option were before me, PAC or Big12…I’d have to go PAC. The academic partnerships alone, that we would gain, would make it worth it.

1 Like

Not very likely, but I would love to see OU & UH move together to the PAC or the SEC or the BIG.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have seen many that feel that way. That is why I think they are the unstable factor more so than UT. Wouldn’t mind them going to the B1G and ending up like Nebraska. Don’t think the B1G would take them.

From a business standpoint why would OU or Texas leave? They are paid well and have very good shot at the playoffs each year. All the schools are same time zone except WV.

1 Like