Most Significant Event in Last 100 Years?

75 million people died in world war 2.

2,996 people died in 9/11

Historically speaking 9/11 is a footnote.

Let me clarify. The term “xenophobic” is such a broad definition. Sure, and naturally there was reaction towards Muslims due to Islamic terrorism. The French reaction was pretty short lived from my memory. Since 9/11, if I were to go look at the immigration to the US and all the visas that were given, we just went through 2 decades of very significant legal and illegal immigration to the USA. There hasn’t really been “xenophobic” towards legal immigration which has approached the percentages of the 1850s through 1920s. Far more in terms of % of population vs 1940s through 1990s. These high immigration numbers does not include all of the visas for kids going to universities and for visas for workers.

If you want to single focus on Muslims and for the short time French peoples which I beleive was pretty small. But using the very broad meaning of “xenophobic” I don’t agree applies.

I don’t either. In fact I’ve never heard of “xeonphobic.” Is that the fear of some ancient Greek or Persian figure? :wink: But the term “xenophobic“ in its most common meaning very much does. That’s not just a personal opinion. There’s lot of research on that particular topic.

1900’s - World War Two
2000’s - So far have to say COVID-19 then 9/11

I don’t remember much before '68 but the late 60’s seemed like crazy times…MLK/RFK and the moon landing seemed like the most incredible thing as a kid even though know that doesn’t rank up there in the grand scheme of all

Really Sam, I use the term 4 times, and you pick on 1 typo with the last term? Oh well!

The definition of the term has a broad meaning of “having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.” I referenced the tremendous uptick in legal immigration to the US over the past 20 years since 9/11, which percentage wise is as high of our tremendous immigration decades from Europe between 1850s - 1920s. I didn’t agree with the use of such a broad uptick of prejudice toward everyone foreign. I do agree with demonstrated uptick towards Muslims since that is where Islamist terrorist came from.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xenophobic&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS821US821&oq=xenophobic&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59j0l6.1446j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The democrats and republicans congress persons who voted for the stupid security act allowing the government to restrict our freedom under the guise of a war on terror made life for most us much worse. Our relation ship to China has been very naïve for decades. Thinking to aiding them would make them more democratic fail to see that they have been communist for decades and they did nothing to change who they were. I totally agree with sam regarding the two wars we fought in the middle east. On the first war only ultraman and I were against that one at the time It occurred on this board. Sam may have been as well. It was very uncomfortable for me in the circles in which my wife and I live to be against the war. She was for it and I wasn’t. My youngest joined the marines and was open to going to war over there. I just thank God he got a job that was important to the Marines stateside and which gave him the skills to take forward after his 4 years active and 4 years reservist.

Polio vaccine.

Really, your life was much worse after 911? How so, really?

As I said before, if you were either a) in the military, OR b) had an immediate family member in the military on either 9/11 or its aftermath, as delmarred did, then yeah, your life WAS affected by 9/11, and likely for the worse.

Likewise, if you lost a loved one on 9/11, were a first responder or family member of a first responder on 9/11, or lost your life on 9/11, then of course you were negatively “affected” by it.

That represents maybe 1-2% of the total US population.

About 98-99% of Americans were essentially unaffected by 9/11. Their lives didn’t change ONE BIT. They still went to the same jobs or schools, entertainment venues, houses of worship, and restaurants/bars within a day or two, and continued on with life more or less as usual. Who cares about “psychological” impacts? As a PRACTICAL matter, their lives weren’t impacted at all.

CONTRAST that with COVID19.

I’m guessing that at least 90% of the US population is being negatively impacted by it.

Jobs are being lost by the millions, businesses are shutting down, tens of thousands have either died or will die (many times more than 9/11), people can’t freely practice their religions (a far bigger roll back of civil liberties than 9/11), school semesters and sports seasons are cancelled, restaurants and bars are closed, just about everybody is on lockdown, and grocery stores are all out of toilet paper.

Something that negatively affects the lives of nearly all Americans (like COVID19) is obviously a bigger event than one that only negatively affects the lives of maybe 1-2% of Americans (like 9/11). No comparison. Not even close.

So please. Nobody be stupid and put 9/11 on the same level as this.

Were there hate crimes against Muslims and other people mistaken for being Muslims (like Sikhs) in the aftermath of 9/11? Of course there were, and they were horrible.

But the same types of hate crimes are happening now against Asian-Americans as the result of COViD19.

No difference there really.

But this virus is negatively impacting the lives of hundreds of millions in this country. FAR MORE than 9/11.

Not close.

I’m gonna go with the spread of motorized aviation. It allowed the massive bombings in WWII, dropping Atomic bombs, 9/11, even quickened the spread of Covid.
Sure we can take a 5 hour jaunt to Costa Rica, but wow look at the carnage.
Back to horse and buggy for me.

Don’t be so “sensitive!” I know that’s one of your favorite words :wink: I put the winking emoji I just used next to that comment. Xenophobia has always meant fear and rejection of foreigners. I’m unaware of any “broad” meaning for the word. But again there’s been research on this question. Obviously you’re free to disagree with it, but you might want to look into before making a categorical declaration.

OK Sam - not really a big deal.

But I’ll assume we’re struggling with communicating. I’ll try again. I agreed with almost all you stated about 9-11 except I was recommending a better term such as Islamophobia due to phobias or prejudices that evolved in the country due to Islamist terrorists killing 3K Americans on one day versus a term that is defined by a fear of foreigners with the use of the term xenophobia which I don’t believe grew out of 9-11. To me, xenophobia is a very broad term since it’s a fear of all foreigners versus a segment or even small segment of foreigners in American society.