Mount Vernon H.S. - Top 10

FYI - It should come as no big surprise that coach Art Briles has his Mount Vernon H.S. team football undefeated at 4-0 and currently ranked at #9 within Texas 3A Div 1.

And are all players eligible this year??

2 Likes

I forgot about Art Briles til this thread

1 Like

Are any of the players from his district :sunglasses:?

1 Like

Who?

1 Like

Hope he wins state!!

2 Likes

He is one of the greatest coaches this state has ever produced.

5 Likes

As well as a participant in one of the biggest athletic cover-ups this state has ever seen,

4 Likes

Spoken just like an aggy. When you get any direct evidence of that outrageous claim, please produce it for us, OK?

And when the NCAA punishes Baylor for some kind of wrongdoing in their athletic department, then please be sure to remind all of us of just what they were doing that was proven to be wrong.

1 Like

Art is a good coach. Happy for him.

By the way, what is Kendal up to these days?

1 Like

Kendall is OC at Arkansas.

1 Like

Aggie? UH Grad, BA 1985

1 Like

Totally agree!

1 Like

His biggest threat in conference is Pottsboro who were state finalists last year and were picked to return this year. However, Pottsboro lost a non-district game to Melissa by the score of 51-17, so maybe they aren’t as good as projected. Should be interesting for those who follow high school football. I just check and see how the Katy teams do each weekend, and schools that our committs play for.

2 Likes

I went through Pottsboro a couple weeks ago on the way to Lake Texoma. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a town that supports their high school more than them. They’ve got Mount Vernon circled on their calendar.

1 Like

I was able to see Art’s Mount Vernon Tigers play Friday night against Emory HS, the offense put up 53 points and they are good. Art is still teaching young men how to win at football and in life. Of course I wore my UH gear in a sea of purple.

3 Likes

Y’all can love him all you want, but the way he did UH on his way out was dead wrong. Zero excuses for the way he handled it and what he did

9 Likes

You mean the way he left, then taking most of the staff with him and having them recruit for Baylor while on the UH payroll? What’s not to love? Shows character.

4 Likes

Yes, he handled his departure wrong, but most of us would leave an employer for the kind of boost he got from BU. BU probably didn’t give him the option of staying to coach the bowl game; most head coaches don’t have that option when changing. We know the former SWC schools in the B12 would like to see UH drop dead.

I can believe he is teaching them how to win at football, it is the “life” part that I have trouble with.

6 Likes