My 3 Factors

Anyone know the extent of Davis’ injury?

Out for the year.

Huge loss.

Manster

Good observations. Seemed like Orlando coached up some “raw” talent that hadn’t been exposed before he got here. So that allowed him to become more aggressive as time passed. My question is: do we really lack the talent? No scheming can make up for a basic lack of talent, but I question whether we are maximizing the talent we do have. Frustrating to watch us make what seems like the same mistakes every week.

CTO is more aggressive for sure. I’m just seeing that CMD is doing both and results aren’t much different. In fact we are getting a lot of pass interference calls against us this year…why because we are playing more man and IJ keeps holding guys and Watkins has a couple too. The missed tackles have been in all 3 games.
If i was OC for one of our opponents, and I had a first down inside 10, would throw a fade at IJ…either TD or PI and 1st and goal at 2 …I’m serious

I don’t know what to do. You can’t hide your CBs. CMD did a pretty good job of it last year. Seems like he’s playing more man this year and I’d guess for couples reasons. First our offense uses no clock…so other team TOP is gonna be high to begin with. If can’t get off field on 3rd down it’s gonna be worse. Your defense gets tired. The offense failing on 4th downs hurts too as puts D back on field and short field for opponent.
It would be great if he was just playing more man because the CBs improved and he felt confident…I don’t think that’s the case. I think he’s trying to survive.
And CMA has put him in a tough spot imo. He has tied himself to this offense and looks like feels he has to go on 4th down and when you don’t make it, your D gets added pressure. I love the offense but if you go a few 3and outs in a row the D feels it. I would imagine we have seen the most plays per game in nation after yesterday. And all games have been in Texas heat.
I think we were #128 out 130 before yesterday and saw over 100 snaps vs TT…our 2nd string isn’t good enough for that imo. If my memory serves me right…Phil Bennett had some tough years at Baylor as DC with this offense

Agree with most of the points in this thread and I will add that Tech did a good job of exploiting their WRs size advantage over our DBs

Manster, I have defended CMD on this board over and over saying that he wasn’t as bad as many believe him to be, and I still say against run-based offenses, he is a good coordinator, but there is a pattern here. Last year, we could say it was a talent/experience issue, but at some point you have to be able to develop players and come up with a plan for pass heavy teams with accurate QBs.

Did the players screw up a lot yesterday? Yes. Do they deserve some blame? Yes! Why aren’t they getting better now in year 2 of this defensive system? Why aren’t players getting better when CMA stated personal development was the focus of Fall Camp? Coaching. Over and over again, we are seeing our DBs regress. We have had different coaches for the DBs and Safeties and we have the same results.

1 Like

Then you ad an offense that could kill clock and not expose depth issues and UH won many games against marquee teams…Bingo, you got it!

Early in the broadcast of the game it was mentioned that Gibbs had now achieved the depth on D that he had not had before. They went 3 deep in the DL and LB’s. UH had to go shopping for DB’s/S in the graduate/transfer market and once Davis was lost a JC recruit was starting. UH’s starting LB is a former QB and one DB is a former WR who could not adjust to the football and now as a DB has the same problem. This is to be expected at DB because this is only his 2 season as a CB.

Where is the depth? Herman won on Levine’s O and GIBBS D recruits. He was already recruiting for UT or LSU during his second year at UH, thus UH had no full recruiting class and it shows.

Texas Tech committed its D to Gibbs, allowing him (4 years?) to build dept. so that they could hold up under the quick scoring of the ARO.

Unfortunately, UH is not a P5 and it is difficult to get quality recruits. Anyone notice Tech’s true FR RB from Lamar who started because the 1st and 2nd team RB’s were injured. UH recruited him but it came down to playing in a P5 conference or at UH. He looked real good for a 175lb FR.

1 Like

I see your point. But practice and games are different things.
I hate to keep picking on IJ but will use as an example.
I’m sure they rep him over and over on man coverage.
Watch receiver eyes, turn for ball, get ball.
He might do it in practice. They might rep it 20 times a day. But coach is talking to you whole time and if you get beat it doesn’t count.
Now on Saturday on TV…you blank out. Keep grabbing the WR etc. lose focus on key to read…WR hips , head etc depending on route. And get beat on double move.
A lot of people are of the opinion that all players are coachsble and will all improve.
Why? What if player just isn’t good enough?
IJ was converted. Maybe they were wrong? The measurables are there…length, speed. He just keeps holding on and grabbing when it’s time to put up.
That’s not a matter of understanding a scheme.
At some point this game becomes a man on a man.
Either blocking, tackling, covering…those individual battles often determine play result.
If OC runs goaline fade…only 3 people are determining the outcome…QB WR and CB.
If CMD calls man coverage…gotta cover your guy…nothing to do with scheme.
Left OT gotta block RDE etc.
I’m not minimizing importance of scheme and coaching.
If you have coached anything…even your kids soccer team…you will realize that you can tell them the same thing repeatedly and they don’t do it.
If you are a boss…you have had workers that don’t follow instructions.
So why do assume that athletes that don’t do what they are supposed to weren’t taught?
Why do they have to get better?
There are plenty of guys that are great college players and don’t succeed in NFL…why? Shouldn’t coaches be able to get them right?
The cupboard was kind of bare at CB when CMD got here. And nobody has been able to get on field ahead of IJ and Myers…converted WR and former walk on…K Smith etc…
Re TAckling…form tackling and game tackling are different animals. Drills and real game are different worlds.
Personal example…have a child taking ACT college exam again. Does above average in math but not great. gets anxiety during testing. I’m paying a Stanford grad professional test tutor $100 hour to coach her. Her math score didn’t go up. She didn’t get better in 3 months. Doesn’t she have to get better?

2 Likes

I said this same exact thing in a couple of threads including one I started. I had multiple commenters argue with me that we have talent that matches Tech which we don’t. We will never be able to recruit depth like the Big 12 teams have out of the P5. This is a big part of why the Big 12 teams won’t let us in their conference. They don’t want us to start getting more of these Houston kids to stay home because they know with that kind of depth we would be a monster.

4 Likes

Perfectly said with great analogy/example.

Unfortunately we simply don’t have great talent at the CB position and it doesn’t appear that we will be there any time soon.

2 Likes

but to counter your point this schools best ever secondary core, had a worse resume…

yesterday my mindset was our secondary sucks,
today im of the midset that our secondary coachs/corrdinator are bad developers

the greatest secondary in UH history (note safeties under 6ft are extremely frowned upon)

• trevon stewart- 5’9 saftety that runs a 4.7 (couldnt even a Canadian tryout in the pros)… top 5 in houston in INTs, #1 in fumble recoveries
  • Adrian Mcdonald- 5’9 safety that runs a 4.7, who never played db before college (was a qb). hold houston INT record
  • Lee hightower- 2star boise transfer (nfl player)
  • William Jackson - 2star who who couldnt academically qualify and had to do juco for a year (1st round, hold pbu record)
  • Howard wilson - 2star who chose between us or la tech (3rd round, top db after 1st group left)
  • Brandon Wilson- a 3star RB recruit (draft pick)

if this db unit sucked we’d all say they lacked talent/depth…but this is the most accomplished uh secondary as a unit by a big margin in our schools history …you can hindesight say they went to the nfl they had talent…no, they were developed into talent…

remove their post UH stuff, our current roster should be better than that group with their resumes coming in, but none of them were developed by gibbs who drilled takeaway habbits into their game

the most telling stat, gibbs left 4 years ago, the player who has led the team in takeways has been a gibbs hold over till this very day (davis was redshirting under gibbs)

2 Likes

That '88 defensive backfield might be in the discussion…
Johnnie Jackson - 2nd team All American, 5th round draft pick, 4 seasons NFL
Alton Montgomery - HM All American, 2nd round draft pick next year, 6 seasins NFL
Cornelius Price - 2nd team All American next year

Dont think the secondary you listed had 2 all americans at the same time and another who would make all american the next year

i was talking numbers wise, in that 3 year span, the record for ints, forced fumbles, fumble recovery, pbus were all broken but multiple different dbs in the same group

the point of my post reflected that, i made sure to use the word accomplished…that im certain we probably had better raw talented dbs untis over the ages…that jackboy group was just developed well

For sure that game film will be watched and we will see it all again. Time to move Ed to LB?

I dont have a problem with your point or saying they were accomplished. Just don’t want our history forgotten or disrespected. Saying no other secondary corps comes close does that. That '88 team set conference records for INTs. They also have some records still intact.

Of course its easier to set any career or season record now. Playing 13-14 vs 11 games a season by itself does that.

Then throw in that there are 20-30 more passes per game and more plays per game, there are more opportunities for INTs although admittedly more of the passes are quick and short making them harder to break up.

1 Like