Nate Hinton

I liked Hinton and wish him well. But I will say I am very excited to think Mark can be our next great player. He, Mills, Grimes have greater potential to be NBA draft picks . All three can be big time scorers.

As far as our open ship Ssmpson is a HC that looks at his roster and builds a team. Minutes are tough to come but. You can’t keep 13 guys happy who all want to be the star. You need guys like Gresham, and Harris of last year who have roles. I think Sampson would love to add a guy like Zanna from A few years ago. A banger inside who can be physical and is happy playing backup big minutes and oerforming his role. That is a piece we are missing. IMHO.

Sure it would be nice to have his defense, rebounding, and bulldog mentality. BUT I could see Mills becoming big time scorer like he showed taking over many times in the second half his frosh year. And Mark is the best player we have signed in Decades. At 6; 5" he could be a stud. and that doesn’t even consider Grimes was a 5 star who showed in some games he could be great but seemed to lack consistency. IF he becomes consistent he’ll be great. And like I posted last season I expect Sasser to become a Davis type three point threat as a soph. And that doesn’t even take in IF Jarreau comes back. There are only so many minutes. And Cameron Tyson will be our best three point sniper we lacked last year.
Yes will miss Hinton but IF we lost a player at least Sampson has recruited the wings well.

3 Likes

Dammit. I was looking forward to watching him.

5 Likes

That does seem weird and I’m not sure I totally buy it but it doesn’t seem inconceivable they really were trying to clear a spot for one of these transfer bigs we were trying to get, though agreed that it would have made more sense with Deeky (with nothing against him at all).

Nate Hinton,

Good Luck on your future professional journey.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” {Philippians 4:13}

We are really going to miss your awesome rebounding skills, tenacity and passion on the court.

Wish you would have stayed another year!

GO COOGS!

4 Likes

My take on Nate’s decision: posted on Apple Podcasts.

5 Likes

Do you think they will go after a transfer or HS big with the open roster spot?

Great insight on the pod.

In a normal year I would say playing for the Coogs would be his smartest move. With the amount of uncertainty there is out there now, I can’t second guess this move. His ability to play lock down man-to-man defense will probably keep him on an NBA roster for a little while. If he continues to develop his offense/shooting, he might play for 10-15 years. He always plays very very hard and I really respect him for that. Good Luck to him.

I have the complete opposite opinion. With a lot uncertainty regarding summer league, the g-league, overseas leagues, travel, individual workouts, pre-draft camps, etc. this seems like a bad year for fringe guys like Nate.

What’s done is done, but I’d have less reservations about this move from his perspective if it was normal circumstances.

College hoops probably has some uncertainty too but his worst case would be spending another year working on his game, getting S&C work and nutrition, completing course work and getting his stipend.

4 Likes

I think CKS will push hard for his kids because he wants what is best for them, even if it means losing a star player. Were I Nate, I would sure welcome the pumping up by my coach.

1 Like

Disappointed to hear this because I wanted to see how dominant he could be next season.
The way he scraps for rebounds and a loose ball is unbelievable. Can’t teach that kinda hustle. A player has to make a personal decision to play like that. He had a few bad shooting games last season, just like the rest of the team, and at the same time sometimes, but when Nate is seeing the basket well, he’s pretty great.

1 Like

Obviously wish he would have stayed and continued to develop as a player and a leader but if he has word that this will work out in his favor I won’t argue it.

This is going to happen sooner rather than later but the more we see this the more I think they should just get rid of college sports for any with a pro sport. Total waste of everyone’s time and money and it will break the bank for most schools. Already is.

Just create minor minor league basketball/football leagues minus any school affiliation.

Then…then we would just have teams with players interested in getting an education and possibly prepare them for the future !!

How 1890’s would that be !

4 Likes

This is a pretty terrible take. Like if you are against the resources poured into sports that’s fine and a reasonable position, but the vast, vast majority of student athletes who play football, basketball and baseball at the college level aren’t going to play professionally. If you are tripped up and want to get rid of all sports that have a professional equivalent because you are tripped up on a few guys who go pro that’s like blowing up a house to exterminate a couple of mice.

5 Likes

Um… no dude

Maybe. Clearly, I’m not referring to these young men literally as such but metaphorically houses are often destroyed by termites.

And look, these young men are doing what they see adults do in other professions and in their lives all the time - only thinking short term and about themselves - not necessarily blaming them. Just think the school is not benefiting as the enabler or middle man in this setup.

Modest proposal possibly…convince me otherwise.

Needs to work on his shot. While the corner might’ve been a gimme, it was hit or miss from every other angle.

He is one of the best rebounding guards in the country. An elite-level rebounder for his position. He will be sorely missed. And that may be an understatement.

4 Likes

Since he was only a sophomore last year he will still go down as one of UH’s all time defenders.
IMO Don Chaney was the best defensive guard we ever had here and he has championship rings from his career to prove it.
Hinton was as good as Duck defensively if you compare them as sophomores.
Hinton will always be one of my all time favorites because of his hustle and leadership.
I think he will spend a couple of years in D league and will eventually make an NBA roster as a role player or better.
Btw Hinton is more of a scoring threat than Duck ever was.
Gonna really miss him. But we have a guy like Mark waiting in the wings, and with a little added polish we will probably all be moaning when he leaves early

1 Like

Loved Hinton but not ready to put him in Duck’s class defensively. Don was our GOAT Defensive Player.