Nate Hinton

Looks like Nate will be splitting time in G League Texas Legends snd the Mavs.

Being undrafted a two way deal is about as good as he was going to get so being able to play in the G-league lets him get better and gives him a better chance at sticking with the Mavs.

5 Likes

At some point there will be injuries, particularly this season, and he’ll get an opportunity.

1 Like

Through hard work and hustle he is carving out professional basketball career. If that isn’t the essence of the University of Houston I don’t know what is.

2 Likes

They changed the two way rules this year and the Legends are unlikely to even have a season. It will be more like he will be splitting time between active and inactive while practicing with the Mavs all season. Unless there is some big change to the proposed G-League season. More money this year for two way guys since they don’t have to rely on their team giving them NBA days to make the max.

Probably works out better for him since he will get to practice everyday with the Mavs and hopefully get some playing time.

Should have stayed in school one more year.

6 Likes

That’s the truth.

1 Like

If Nate wasn’t going to ever be a 1st rd pick are we sure it matters?

6 Likes

Thats a good point. If he was undrafted after this season then all he would have done was wait another year to start paying his dues. He certainly works hard enough. He just needs to gain some attention. I think he’s going to be OK.

Either way he works on his game. With a 2 way contract he is getting paid.

5 Likes

Maybe not, but in some respects this was the worst year for undrafted players since there’s no G-league season.

He actually has a chance to make more money because of that. Also he will spend more time practicing with the Mavs.

5 Likes

Any year is a good year to get paid

4 Likes

For non two way contract guys, yes. Not for Nate. $450k plus 100% of his time with the Mavs.

5 Likes

Nate has a great work ethic. He will eventually play his way into the league.

If Nate is making $450K, that right there said he made a wise choice. I have my degree, but never made $450 a year. I wonder how many of our graduates make that kind of money, not many % wise.

4 Likes

If I made that kind of money I would live like a pauper for a handful of years and put the rest in an investment account and let it start compounding. I would never work again after 30 unless it was something I loved.

3 Likes

Sure. But would you have that sense at 19/20 years old? When all your contemporaries makes millions and have a life style to match? Sounds like Hinton has a level head and good family support. Hopefully that extends to money management.

I gather that most agents provide some of that type of support (financial, tax, investment, etc.), either themselves or through affiliated providers.

I think the leagues and players associations also provide some support or counseling to keep the players out of the ditch.

But just because it’s available doesn’t means everyone will use it or follow the suggestions given.

Fort Worth Coog might know more about this.