NCAA Basketball Scandal

While feds get tough on recruiting scandal, NCAA forms a committee

The first: A federal grand jury has subpoenaed Oklahoma State, asking for documents and communications regarding “actual or potential NCAA rules violations” within the Cowboys basketball program. It is the next extension of the federal corruption investigation that resulted in the arrest of 10 individuals late last month. It is another indication that the FBI and U.S. Attorney’s Office are using the considerable powers at their disposal to put a full-court press on the sport.

The second: In response to the rippling scandal, the NCAA announced that it has done what it does best. It has formed a committee. That committee will start meeting in November and report back in April.

One group is doing work. Another is talking about eventually perhaps getting around to doing work, perpetuating the belief that inertia is the defining characteristic of the NCAA

http://newsok.com/article/5567594?utm_source=NewsOK.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=ShareBar-Twitter

The subpoena demands that OSU either gather the evidence and turn it over to a New York FBI agent by Oct. 17, or have a university representative prepared to travel to New York and appear in person before the grand jury to testify at that time.

"Failure to attend and produce any items hereby demanded will constitute contempt of court and will subject you to civil sanctions and criminal penalties, in addition to penalties of the law, " Joon H. Kim, acting United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, states in the grand jury subpoena.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/918252750986776577

The Colorado coach believes that would solve many of the problems laid bare by federal investigators. Boyle is just skeptical that NCAA president Mark Emmert or other high-profile college administrators are prepared to admit that the current system of amateurism isn’t working.

“I have zero confidence that will happen,” Boyle said. “There would have to be somebody in a leadership position that believes this would not damage the integrity of our sport or make these guys professional athletes but it would allow them to reap some benefits in a sport that is making literally billions and billions of dollars. It would have to come from the school presidents or the NCAA, but I just don’t think they’re going to go there.”

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/919996663682478080

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/ap-exclusive-probe-prompts-soul-searching-across-ncaa-hoops

The Associated Press asked 84 schools, including all the nation’s power programs, and six top conferences about their response to the arrests that upended college hoops mere days before practices for the 2017-18 season began around the country.

Of 63 schools that responded, 28 said the probe prompted their own internal reviews. So did the Pac-12 Conference, which formed a task force to dive into the culture and issues of recruiting.

https://twitter.com/redditcfb/status/920044172404408320

It appears we weren’t asked.

The only group that the FBI is not investigating is the Media. They also have a part in this but it is far more distant than the AAU/Snicker Mfgs. For some time now I have posted on this site about the P5+BE that the media created for marketing purposes. The old BE was destroyed with the FB teams cherry picked for the P5 FB conferences while the BB teams remained the BE.

Notice how the AP sent out a poll of the TOP6 conferences and not the mid majors. This confirms the BB side of the P5 FB side of the media marketing of college teams.

The Top6 BB conferences in BB polled by the AP are the BIG10, BIG12, PAC12, SEC, ACC, of the FBP5 plus the BE BB conference.

Also noticed that NIKE chose not to outbid Adidas so that they could keep the Baylor uniform contract. They had the money to win it but I believe that Mr. Knight had something to do with the removal of the swoosh from the Baylor uniforms. Phil Knight’s son died in an accident while filming a fund raiser for the Christian Children of the World, a Portland based nonprofit organization. Guess having NIKE money to support such a corrupt “Christian” school would anger him. Whether this is fact or not, the Swoosh is no longer on the Baylor uniforms.

Not sure how the media determining who the Power conferences are play into the current recruiting scandals. I get your point, and it is a valid point about the media and the P5 and the dismantling of the Big East, just not sure how it fits here.

As far as who was polled, based off the last few NCAA tournaments, and statistically, they aren’t wrong about those conferences being the top conferences. The American used to be included in that conversation, but hasn’t lived up to its end of the bargain since UCONN won the tourney. Hard to be considered a power when you have a hard time getting a team to the 2nd weekend and barely get 3 teams in. Hopefully, this year will change that.

As far as your last paragraph, first, Under Armour has the Baylor contract now. Second, I’m not trying to defend Nike, but would you want your brand associated with Baylor right now with everything that has gone on the last two decades? Do you really think that their athletic program exemplifies Christian values with covering up murder to repeated cheating to bringing in drug addicts and rapists and then looking the other way when they use drugs or rape?

Edit to add: Nike still sponsors TCU and SMU so I don’t think Baylor being “Christian” had anything to do with it.

Sorry, I was wrong about Adidas and it makes more since that Under Armour, the new kid in the uniform branding game would not care if Baylor has their logo.

When looking at college FB and BB you have the media creating Brands both by individual teams and conferences. These media companies have subdivided these brands in the market place by P5 in FB and P5+BE in BB as the superior and everyone else inferior whether it is true or not. So what if Troy defeats LSU and then LSU defeats Auburn. The media will tell you that there is no equality and the best players and coaches are in the P5.

The same is in BB and the P5+BE. This is what the media sells to the advertisers and especially the snicker mfg. companies. To make this work one must build up the product, which in this case is the players. In BB the players are recognized, developed and delivered to the marquee BB schools by way of the AAU/Snicker mfg. controlled system. State U. is not paying the players to go there, NIKE, Adidas or Under Armour is, so that when State U BB is on prime time their logo is advertised on the free throw line to the audience that is targeted by the media.

It is not whether a Duke is superior to Wichita St., but that Duke plays in the ACC and everyone in the media tells the casual sports fan that they are one of the best in BB. Of course when the snicker mfgs. direct the best players to these P5+BE teams that have always won the NCAA BB championship since being created by the media (except for one year where UCONN won it.) That UCONN team was a member of the P6 BB conferences the year before. Look at how they now have fallen since they have left the BE BB…

So the media creates the perception of superiority for the P5+BE conferences and creates a market by prime time showcasing these conferences in FB and in the best bowl games, In BB the media also creates the best preseason games for TV by having BB mini tournaments on Prime time with BE vs B1G or AAC vs SEC, etc. This perception is sold to the snicker mfgs who provide the talent to make these conferences superior. Sadly with the NCAA thinking about players being able to transfer freely at the end of a FB season with no penalty, this will lead to FB being more like BB with AAU pimps, agents, etc.

Hey it is a business and follow the money.

1 Like

I agree with you on this.

https://twitter.com/JayBilas/status/920393101956603904

I wonder how Pitino will explain to the jury that he got the lion’s share of the Adidas contract.

1 Like

Three orders filed Thursday in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York said attorneys for would-be sports agent Christian Dawkins, financial adviser Munish Sood and Florida AAU coach Jonathan Brad Augustine “have been engaged in, and are continuing, discussions concerning a possible disposition of these cases” with prosecutors.

The impetus for the creation of the First Team program was the NCAA’s desire to address some issues that will sound very familiar to today’s basketball fans.

Transfer rates in college basketball were too high and graduation rates were too low. Players often left for the NBA before they were ready. Street agents and shoe companies cozied up to elite high school players and their handlers in an effort to gain influence by the time they were ready to turn pro.

The year wasn’t 2017. It was 1998.

NCAA facing crisis of confidence while feds dig in on scandal: ‘I just don’t have any faith in this system’
_Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

As a collective, the NCAA membership has called for increasingly harsh penalties for rule breakers. But individually, the resistance to those penalties has been fierce.

“Every school says we need to improve enforcement,” Tranghese said. “But every school goes before the NCAA Committee on Infractions and cries bloody murder.”

What a mess.

Every year I read posts on Coogfans asking why UH could not get any of the top 1-3 5* BB players from the Houston area. Now finally what a lot of us have known for years is coming out, It is not about the UH HC and staff getting the player. It is about the snicker company, agent, AAU coach, and Mom and/or dad (how much for my son to play one year at the snicker company school). UH is not in the P5+BE who gets the lions share of these elite players because that is where the company money directs most of them.

As a FB fan who years ago was disgusted by the business of college BB recruitment. I’m now concerned by the growing influence of the snicker companies in the 7 on 7 FB and other FB camps. If nothing is seriously done in BB I expect college FB to follow this path in the years ahead.

What If the NCAA opens up the transfer rule to allow players to leave without having to wait a year? A snicker company who has a P5 FB team that is missing a couple other key players to make one of their marquee teams better can recruit players for that team. What would happen to Michigan if they were able to get some outstanding QB from a G5 to leave after last season and have them competing for starting at Michigan this year. It can happen in FB as well as BB.

A few games ago the Yates HS BB team collected the parking fee at Yates to support the BB team. One of their BB coaches was collecting the money and I asked him if he thinks this will lead to HS BB coaches once again having more control over developing and coaching the players instead of the AAU coaches in complete control. He hoped so and that those AAU guys are no longer dealing with the NCAA, this is the FBI and they could go to jail.

1 Like

I don’t think the snicker companies as you call them, really care about the outcome of the teams.