NCAA scandal update

The whole enterprise is eaten up with crooks. We’re damn lucky to have a coach that survived a few nights in the drunk tank. He learned to do things clean and he operates as if his every move is scrutinized.

These other guys are going to the Big House…and it’s backed by federal wiretaps and doesn’t deal with “unethical texting”…lol.

All the vermin on twatter that sully CKS over bull crap…when their schools are mired to the gills in corruption.

I’m starting to wonder if this is why CKS keeps his staff away from all these 5-stars.

6 Likes

Remember your economics courses. When ever you have for profit businesses competing and there are artificial price constraints (in this case on labor). Black markets always appear.

3 Likes

But, but amatueurism, student-athletes, free education. These aren’t for profit institutions.

In case we couldn’t tell, that’s sarcasm

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought of that but you make a very good point.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for what will happen with TCU. They had run a clean program for all these years, now this.

From the article:
" Assistant basketball coaches from USC (Tony Bland), Creighton (Preston Murphy) and Texas Christian (Corey Barker) – all donning team gear, all stealing time away from when they were supposed to be at tournament and recruiting, all unaware of what they were being caught doing – were shown accepting cash payments of $13,000, $6,000 and $6,000 respectively. The video was buttressed by testimony from Blazer, who was in the suite when the money swapped hands. Blazer also testified that Lamont Evans, who was at Oklahoma State at the time, was delivered $4,500 on his trip to Las Vegas.

“They’re all cheaters, his whole f—ing staff,” Dawkins says of Jamie Dixon’s TCUprogram on one of the videos."

2 Likes

Actually, I have never thought TCU, just like SMU, has run a “ clean” program in any sport… ever ! They both have just enough fat cat alumni will to do whatever to win !!!

History proves it.

Even though both schools hide behind a religious label and are small institutions, they are in many ways no different than ut and a$m.

6 Likes

I still remember when Jim Whacker lectured all the SWC coaches about running clean programs and Coach Yeoman saying he should start with his own program.

5 Likes

Who was the running back for Wacker that got caught taking payments? It was during the day when the Dallas Morning News was the investigative arm of Deloss Dodd.

Oh yea…Kenneth Davis…College Football News, Scores, Standings & Stats | FOX Sports

If you think about it Deloss and the DMN ran quite an intelligence racket. They took out SMU, TCU, Houston, and we’re going after Arkansas when they left and the DMN shuttered their investigative arm.

5 Likes

The NCAA and the NBA need to come together to make this a thing of the past. Parents/relatives of NBA caliber recruits will always be seeking money like they have a product to sell. Maybe those kids shouldn’t bother going to college for one year to begin with. So the NBA needs to have an amateur draft exclusively to high school players with basic contracts bigger than what they are getting in gifts but smaller than NBA level contracts. The NCAA on it’s part needs to come down harder on any coaches having inappropriate actions with AAU coaches, families of players and agents that not only has them banned from college campuses but also seeks federal indictment charges.

Penders openly warned about all of this gross activity going on. I think it also adds another reason why you see Sampson not sending out offers to some local talent that clearly fit his program but are also in big AAU programs and highly recruited by programs that are regularly getting players with higher ratings than the program’s recent results on the floor or history should be attracting. Chances are, money is involved and Sampson has no interest in having those conversations. Clean coaches are in a catch 22, if they hear rumors, they are stuck between having to know if it’s factual enough to report to the NCAA and not factual enough to be in trouble for defamation if speaking up and the claim is false.

1 Like

Every team that won the SWC instead of UT got on some kind of probation. If I recall correctly, UT only made the Cotton Bowl a couple of times because of the actual team that would have gone was on probation.

BTW, the president of the NCAA at that time was J. Neils Thompson of UT and one of the 5 members of the NCAA infractions committee wasUT law professor Dr. Charles Allen Wright. What a coincidence.

8 Likes

And to think some people on this very board want to be in a conference with those bastards !!!

No thanks !

13 Likes

He was not just ON the Infractions Committee; he was the chairman, if I remember right. And he was exactly the one who led the “investigation” of the whorns when some of their football players were being paid by the state printing office without ever showing up for work. He wrote the letter from the NCAA asking the whorns to do their own investigation of the matter. He then drafted the whorns answer to the NCAA; then, switching back to his NCAA hat, he closed the “investigation.” Cute!

Meanwhile, he voted with the NCAA infractions committee to impose penalties on UH for such terrible infractions as giving hats and T-shirts to prospects. He was a real “piece of work.”

7 Likes

Yes, some do, but not me! In fact, I never want to play them again in any sport! If I could, I would banish them to another planet - or move UH to another state!

I have long contended that the two most corrupt organizations in the state of Texas are both in Austin: the University of Texas and the state Legislature!

7 Likes

ONE OF MY GOOD FRIENDS PLAYED AT UT. HE TOLD
ME AFTER EVERY HOME WIN THERE WOULD BE 5 -100
DOLLAR BILLS IN HIS LOCKER. WHEN THEY DID NOT
GET DARREL SHEPPARD THEY SHOWED UP WITH A
BLANK PIECE OF PAPER. USUALLY THEY COME IN WITH
ALL THE ALLEGATIONS WRITTEN OUT. NORMALLY 6-8.
WE TURNED OURSELVES IN AS SHEPPARD BROUGHT
HIS GIRL FRIEND ON THE PLANE WHEN HE CAME FOR
HIS VISIT. THE PILOT DID NOT KNOW IT WAS AGAINST
THE RULES. YEAH I COULD TAKE THE DAY ABOUT UT
AND THERE RULES.

4 Likes

UT had their system of “recruiting”, but we had ours as well. We weren’t choir boys. It was just how things were done in Texas (and still are).

2 Likes

Let’s see…how many times has ut been on probation. Hand slaps don’t count.

4 Likes

The FBI goes after BBall Coaches because it is an interstate crime. Should not the ncaa be investigated too? Their actions or lack there off towards some Schools (uta, nc, penn state, baylor, msu to name a few) has impacted results at the highest level. This is clearly illustrated when nc took part of March Madness. Some point out that F.I.F.A. or the AOC are corrupt. The ncaa is at least on the same level.

2 Likes

Still remember the Jarrett Allen episode a few years ago where the UT insider guy openly admitted UT was going to pay him to go there and keep him from Houston. Otherwise, Allen was basically committed to us.

Man, if we had gotten him, we would have been in the NCAA tourney a year earlier.

3 Likes

Excellent observations. He’s been there and suffered the consequences. Burn me once… Easy to see how the biggies keep repeating, especially with one-and-done, nationally top-10 athletes year after year. Regrettably, they won’t get hurt – only investigated. Too big to fail.

1 Like