Netflix will be airing an original Sports Documentary about East Mississippi Community College

Looks like Netflix is trying to get in on the Sports Documentary Money:

NETFLIX JOINS THE SPORTS DOCUMENTARY GENRE

The streaming service has announced that it will premiere a new six-part documentary series titled “Last Chance U” beginning on July 29. We have the description of the series directly from Netflix:

Last Chance U follows a group of young men training to become the future stars of the NFL. The football players are the latest recruits to East Mississippi Community College (EMCC), an undefeated team with 3 National Championship wins over four years under their belt. The EMCC Lions have become a phenomenon in junior college sports, attracting elite athletes, some of whom have been held back by poor academic performance or behavioral issues. Under Coach Buddy Stephens, one of the most successful but least known athletic programs, EMCC graduates more than 20 players per year into football scholarships at four year universities, and nine of his former players currently play in the NFL.

Antowain Smith came to UH from East Mississippi JC.

Great program!

Trailer for the series:

Just watched the first episode . . . friggn brilliant.

Looks like a pretty well done show. Football, anger, love, potential tragedy, second chances, frustration, stress, etc. Players, the coaches, the academic advisor all draw you in.

The locker room scene at halftime on this first episode reminded me of my HS football playing days (with less cussing). Coaches in your grill, insulting you, challenging you, pumping you up - brought back a lot of memories. I can’t wait to watch the rest of the series.

Review of the documentary series:

NETFLIX’S LAST CHANCE U IS A ONCE IN A DECADE DOCUMENTARY

Very positive. I haven’t checked it out, but I’ve seen a number of people raving about it.