New grad transfer QB - Quinten Dormady from Tennessee

Watched the first drives in both games.
Didn’t look good against GT in the opening drive.
In the Florida game, he looked pretty good but…Florida sucked last season and they easily put pressure on Dormady which leads me to the conclusion that Tenn’s OL sucked. Take that wherever you want to go with that.

dont look too deep into the stats, a walk-on qb…he was throwing against the 4th string, his passes were to wide open receivers…his stats were more an indication we dont have depth at db

I’m not a big fan of King, don’t think he will improve… but time will tell. So a quality backup is very, very good.

why not? did you not watch the spring game???
he was also good in his first few games and that was with an injured offseason, and having few reps at qb becuase he was at WR…he has never seen an offseason at qb

common sense says he has to improve just from getting a ton more reps at qb…he isnt a 3rd year starter who produced the same results the first 3 years…
king also wasnt statistically bad last year, if he didnt improve and we ran the exact same offense as last year we’d still be projected a 9-3/8-4 team at worst

more reps at qb, the spring sample size, the fact the he has gained close to 15lbs of pure muscle just since spring started alone, and the fact we will be in a more qb friendly offense …makes me think king will be one of the biggest stars in college football next year…

devy sites (fantasy football for college) are all over thinking his stat production for next year will be crazy

3 Likes

I watched a bunch of Tenn last year. The offense was terrible with Dormady or his replacement Guarantano…highly recruited from New Jersey. I agree the line was big issue.

This is why you offer a QB every year. It can be assumed that King is the starter. The coaches need to convince Tune that if he redhshirts he can compete with Bryson for the starting job next year. One will transfer either way; the question is, who is behind them? How good is the redshirt freshman Ogbogu, and how will Levi Williams do? Either way, before Smith or Tune decide to transfer after next Spring, one has to get in-game reps a QB this year, that’s a must! We can’t have two QBs vying to be the starter with zero in-game experience. lol

Watched his Hudl clippings, he can move! Let’s home he can be added to long list of walk-ons that are developed into headaches for the AAC!

Intriguing, wonder why he did not get any offers from MWC or WAC Teams? PAC12 Teams like the bigger prototypes QBs. I like him and especially his timing & vision. He is also a track and field athlete.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand the basis of this. Like @pesik said, the dude missed the entirety of the offseason prior to last year, came back from a serious knee injury to play exclusively WR, then was thrown in as QB for the last 4 games. In those 4 games he was pretty darn impressive. He got off to an inaccurate start in the spring game then was money after that, especially taking into account that the rules took away one of his more dangerous weapons, his legs. And remember, this is the guy who threw for over 11,000 yards in Texas HS 6A in one of the toughest districts in the state. If King doesn’t get hurt this year, I fully expect him to put up insane numbers. Very much looking forward to witnessing it.

4 Likes

Maybe Bryson Smith wants to move to receiver to enhance his chances of making it to the NFL

1 Like

mbtex, ergo Julon Williams from San Antonio. He’s about the same size as Smith and his pro ball player brother (or cousin, I’m not sure) suggested he switch to WR since that’s the only way he’ll make the pros. 5-11 190 or 200 lb QBs are not going to go pro football, period.

1 Like

If Bryson is behind King and Dormady on the QB depth chart, he has two options - switch positions, or follow in Terrance Broadway’s footsteps and transfer to a Sun Belt/CUSA/FCS school.

I’ll bet he makes the move.

As for King, I saw a lot of things I liked, and a lot of things that need significant improvement. He will likely win the job in August - he throws a pretty deep ball, which CKB will like. But it wouldn’t shock me if one of Dormady/Smith/Tune earns the job this August.

or wait…he has 4 years eligibility…king has 2 and dormady has 1

1 Like

Didn’t love QD when I saw him at Tennessee, but I’m much more comfortable with him playing live snaps than 2 complete newbies (Smith/Tune).

Did everyone get this hot takey when we brought in Schultz in 2015?

What a bunch of Negative Nelly prognosticators. I guess that’s what a fan board is to be used for, for some folks.

Barring injury, I certainly expect to see both King and Dormady play at QB this year, with Bryson Smith and Julon Williams getting plenty of reps at WR. Unless there are multiple injuries, I expect to see Tune red-shirt.

I don’t know what to expect with Ogobogu or any other walk-on QB’s.

1 Like

it was worse when schulz came…
the hot takes were long debates about how herman doesnt want a 5’10 qb, he is bringing in his qb… a huge portion of the board thought ward wouldnt play qb for us

1 Like

Little off topic- but didnt Ward verbal his junior year with the idea he would play defensive back at UH?

I know he had a good year as a WR as a junior but I remember his verbal as a future DB.

He would have a solid senior year @QB- a nice run @WR at UH & history would be made @QB a Super Bowl ring won.

Still unsure where Ward fit in their plans, the Cougars labeled him as an athlete, capable of lining up at quarterback, wide receiver, defensive back or kick returner.

Ultimately, the Cougars told Ward he would play cornerback.

1 Like

5 Likes

Yeah, I guess so.

Either way Dormady just seems like an insurance policy if DK goes down and we’re not playing a freshman of some variety.

I remember quite a few people saying Shultz would start over Ward. What happened was Schultz became the back up and Postma moved to receiver, but then to back up after Schultz was injured.

1 Like