New grad transfer QB - Quinten Dormady from Tennessee

Drew Brees is listed at 6 foot and Russell Wilson 5-11. They are rare.

You really think Brees is actually 6 foot? They are anomalies but there is still a possibility.

https://giphy.com/gifs/seattle-seahawks-mariners-russell-wilson-eQXd8qIIL9aUw

2 Likes

Exceptions to the rule, but I’m in no position to say who the future exceptions will be. I do know players have to be very savvy about what position they work out for.

I have a friend who played for Brown ( no jokes please) and was a 4-year starter at MLB, graduated around 1994. He worked out for that position at a combine and got rejected. At 6’0" 230 he just was too small.

But, as the fastest MLB there, a scout told him if he had worked out as a SS, he might have been drafted or invited to a camp at least.

1 Like

He probably would have succeeded. Times have definitely changed because we had one being drafted out of conference at 6’1, 229-Tyler Matakevich. He was good. I understand the uphill climb when going against prototypical models, but when people speak in absolutes with nothing to back it up other than measurements, it’s hilarious. lol To take it step further, E-Rob is 6’0 and 235, and starter for the Patriots.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/060518aaa.html

Dormady arrives in Houston after three seasons with the Volunteers in which he saw 16 games of action with five starts. He started the first five games of the 2017 season before undergoing a season-ending surgery in October.

The Boerne, Texas, native threw for 925 yards and six touchdowns in 2017 while rushing for 13 yards. In his first career start, he led Tennessee to a 42-41, double-overtime win over Georgia Tech, throwing for 221 yards and two touchdowns in the 2017 season opener.

In Dormady’s sophomore season, the quarterback saw action in four games, finishing the year with 148 yards through the air on 11-of-17 passing. As a true freshman, Dormady saw action in six games, completing 13-of-22 passes for 209 yards and a touchdown.

Prior to Tennessee, Dormady graduated from Boerne High School where he played under his father, Mike Dormady. A four-star recruit, he was ranked the No. 5 pro-style quarterback in the nation and the No. 24 player in the state of Texas by 247 Sports. He totaled nearly 6,000 passing yards in two varsity seasons with 59 touchdown passes while adding 261 rushing yards and five touchdowns.

3 Likes

His dad left Boerne.
HC in Wylie now. The Wylie HC moved to New Braunfels.

1 Like

Competition breeds excellence…

3 Likes

For Dormandy, he gets back to Texas and gets to learn from Coach Applewhite and Coach Briles. If you can run this offense, your career can fast track. He also adds a veteran in the QB room and additional competition for all the QBs.

Coach Applewhite is probably more sensitive than most on managing QBs due to his experience with Chrissy Simms at UT.

As a team, we are loading up to have a good season. I see nothing wrong with adding another QB in the room to give us our best shot to win conference.

6 Likes

Considering our history with QBs this decade, having a capable backup isn’t a bad thing:

2010 - Keenum and Turner go down for the season
2012 - Piland gets banged up and we have to play Crawford Jones at times
2013 - Piland retires in season and O’Korn takes over
2014 - O’Korn craps the bed, Ward takes over
2015 - Schultz gets hurt, Ward gets hurt and Postma has to start against UCONN
2016 - Ward guts through an ankle injury all season and Postma gets some time
2017 - The Allen, Postma, King situation

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/davidubben/status/1016095255643545600

2 Likes

Tennessee was a dumpster fire and Quinten was put into a terrible situation for him. The coaching staff had no idea how to capitalize on his talents. Hopefully, the UH coaches will do a better job with him.

2 Likes