New Graphic: QB Mt. Rushmore

New Recruiting Graphic out from the Department

https://twitter.com/UHFBRecruiting/status/866648123602501633

2 Likes

A bit of a reach to put Greg Ward Jr. with the others. Our biggest wins during his tenure included some very good defense and special teams. Don’t get me wrong, he could probably be in the top 10 but just not grouped with those 4.

Ware and Klingler were Run & Shoot QB’s, Kolb and Keenum were Air Raid QB’s so their passing stats stand out vs Ward’s. Herman’s offense was a spread offense but heavily dependent on the run and that kept Ward’s passing stats from being insanely high like the other QB’s mentioned but Ward won games and help bring Houston into the National spotlight

2 Likes

I wasn’t talking about stats. Did Ward win those games or did the team win those games. By your standard Jim McMahon must have been one of the greatest QB’s of all time. When the defense struggled, we lost. Plain and simple.

Would Ward have lost against UCONN in 2015?

1 Like

UH’s offense dictated the outcome of the game. If the offense couldn’t get things going the defense was going to struggle. Against SMU the offense couldn’t move the ball and it left the defense out to hang. The same thing vs Navy, had the offense scored on them sooner and piled on the points it would have put pressure on the Midshipman to pass and that’s not their strength. The defense showed up vs San Diego State but the offense blew every opportunity to create separation.

Danny Davis should be on the Houston QB Mr. Rushmore.

5 Likes

Probably not. Is Postma Rushmore material? Did Postma save Ward’s ass against Memphis?

No so give credit where credit is due.

You are saying Postma didn’t save Ward’s ass against Memphis?

Ward was injured before the second half. Did Postma win that game or did the defense and special teams? Make up your mind. Youre giving Postma the credit for both win to Memphis and loss to UCONN. But youre not giving Ward credit for our best wins.

1 Like

It’s a recruiting graphic of course Ward needs to be there. Historically maybe not but he is the guy most of our recruits have seen winning the big games.

4 Likes

Well…

First, I know Ware won the Heisman, but I would say Keenum is the best QB ever to put on the scarlet red and albino white. Ware played in the SWC and benefited from that in Heisman voting. Keenum was no less worthy in a day and age where ESPN controls everything.

Second, did Kevin Kolb achieve more than Greg Ward Jr.?

I love what Kolb did at UH. He was badly needed at a time where UH needed a player to latch on to and resurrect the program, but in the end, he was 26-24 as a starter, he had a 3-8 season, and only one conference championship. He was 0-3 in bowls, but led us to a 10 win season his Senior year. He was 2nd in almost all the common QB stats behind Keenum. In my opinion, very deserving.

Ward Jr. was 28-6 as a starter, one conference championship, he was 2-1 in bowl games, and we can’t ignore that one of those was a NY6. He is ahead of Andre Ware for career passing yards, he ranks in the top 10 in rushing yards at UH - not for a QB, but all-time including RBs - he is tied for first with Bryce Beall in rushing TDs at 39, he is 3rd behind Kolb and Keenum for total yards, and finally, he is only 2 TDs behind Klingler at 4th place for total TDs.

Kolb should be up there, but so should Ward. He is equally deserving.

I also agree Danny Davis should be up there as well even though he didn’t have the gaudy numbers.

5 Likes

It is ridiculous to not give credit for the Memphis win then turnaround and assume Ward beats UConn. Downright stubborn in fact. Memphis had a good defense, shut down Ward before he got hurt. UConn had even a higher rated defense. When Ward came in after Postma went down, he went 1 of 4 with an INT.

You want to protect Ward but what you are doing by saying he belongs is to say that guys like Ware and Klingler were a dime a dozen. Did Ware really not deserve a Heisman or do you believe their is something magic in the water and that every QB that has started for UH outside of the Helton, Dimel era has been one of the best in the nation?

I’m not the one taking credit away form QBs. Organize your argument or don’t be a pessimist.

Shaggy, can you tone it down a bit? This is not the kind of conversations we want on Coogfans. This thread is about celebrating our history, not getting into “I am right and you are wrong” contest. Thanks.

6 Likes

Agreed. I always thought his contributions were more about his intangibles. He made everyone around him better.

And how about Moon Mullins and DC Nobles…those two guys ran the veer as well as it could be run…

1 Like

Friends, all, ALL of the QB’s mentioned made a difference & played outstanding games for us. Remember the good. Ware was fantastic. He had the entire opposing Teams aiming to take him down, To mame him, take him out. Yes he was a huge target to take down U of H. HE WON THE HEISMAN AGAINST ALL ODDS. We were not even on tv. Until the call we all thought he had little chance.
People, media quickly point out that he and the others played in the Run N Shoot or Air Raid systems, then Greg in a different offense. So what? They all put up great numbers. What is the common denominator? We were either on probation or not in a P5. To be able to do what these athlete is truly remarkable. Just imagine if we even had the ability to play for the highest honors? Jack Pardee left because he knew trying to get to the top was not in his control. D.Klingler did amazing but again had not control to get to the top. Kolb and Case excelled with what THEY HAD. Just imagine if they had been in a different P5 Team…in the same system? We will never know. What we know if that we are very lucky to have had these gentlemen play for us. Remember that Greg put his future and body on the line for us. Many Coaches would have sidelined him for the entire season. Greg stayed in to help us. Unselfishly he proved to everyone of us that is a Coog forever. Forever grateful for each one of them.