New Graphic: QB Mt. Rushmore

I think when evaluating Ward’s place in the Cougar QB pantheon, the biggest testament to his ability is the 2014 season. That team was absolutely abysmal – with O’Korn at QB, they got absolutely demolished at home by a terrible UTSA team. They were 2-3, with one of the wins coming against a 2-11 UNLV team and the other coming against Grambling State, who had come within a hair’s breadth of shutting down their program altogether. Ward came in and brought the team within inches of a second-half comeback against eventual conference co-champion UCF, and then carried them to a win against eventual conference co-champion Memphis.

Ward – not the defense, not the special teams, not anybody else – was the difference between that team looking like they belonged on the field with Cincy/UCF/Memphis and looking like they’d get run out of the building by Katy High School.

3 Likes

If defending the legacy of our past Heisman winners and candidates, by saying not everyone that picks up a football at UH is up to their snuff, is not fitting for this forum then get rekt.

In reply to this statement, “I also agree Danny Davis should be up there as well even though he didn’t have the gaudy numbers.”

No, Davis didn’t have the gaudy passing numbers running the veer; but he sure had gaudy winning percentage numbers leading the Coogs to two Cotton Bowls which also meant two SWC titles. We finished #4 in '76 beating Maryland in the Cotton Bowl and really won the CB against ND although the game was awarded to the Irish on a ball caught out of bounds but given a TD anyway. Name any other UH QB that led us to two conference titles. Oh, yeah, there aren’t any that I know of.*

*I don’t know who was QB in '56, '57, & '59 when we won the MVC championships. (BTW we were 3-1 in MVC play in '59 to win the conference; but were 3-7 overall.)

But, all in all, the kids today would have no clue as to who Danny Davis is unless they attend his church. Were it not for him being on TV, they probably wouldn’t know who Ware is either and most probably don’t know who Klingler or Kolb are either. Both were gone before these guys were in middle school, or in Klingler’s case, before they were born.

2 Likes

Exactly why I said Davis should be up there. Just a super intelligent QB.

We really have had a wealth of talent at the position that was used effectively by smart coaches. Even Travis Bush tried to save his hide by just unleashing Ward, which wasn’t exactly dumb. I think this is a good argument to have. I love all my kids, I just love them for different reasons.

Ware, Klingler, Kolb, Keenum, Ward. WKKKW. 117471. It all fits rather nicely and is who current recruits would recognize. You could make arguments that those players might not be the top 5 qb’s in UH history, but its a nice graphic.

You are missing the point. You can disagree all you want. It’s not what you say but how you say it. If you can’t tone it down, we will tone it down for you. This is supposed to be a community, not a 24 hour “news” TV cable talking head shout show. Opposing viewpoints are welcome here. Aggressive internet snark towards fellow coogs is not.

Besides, if you want people to listen and take you seriously, you catch many more flies with honey than vinegar.

3 Likes

“MOON” Mullins

If Gary had not hurt that knee in the alumni game just before his junior year there is no telling what kind of seasons we could have had the next two years. He ran the veer as well as it could be run and was one of the best leaders UH has ever had at that position…

Kolb played with little around him.

Alridge, Battle, Avery, Marshall, Middleton, Carrier, Hunt… Kolb had some guys.

1 Like

Before that from 1951-1953, we had the great Bobby Clatterbuck.
Led UH to its first bowl game and bowl win (1951 season)
Led UH to its first conference championship. (1952)
Led UH to its first ranking (although that only lasted one week) (1952)
First Cougar to play in the NFL (1954)

2 Likes

2001 record 0–11 (0–8 C-USA)
We won like 12 games over the next 2 years.
Kolb was the beginning…

Not denying Kolb’s impact on the program, but we went 5-7 the year before Kolb and Briles came to UH, not 0-11. Yes UH won 12 games in 2 seasons after 0-11, but 5 of those wins were before Kolb.

5-7 year before Kolb
7-6 Kolb year 1
3-8 Kolb year 2
6-6 Kolb year 3
10-4 Kolb year 4 (after Louisville/Cincy/TCU left)

1 Like

Kolb was the man. I remember when he turned the car around on the way to a recruiting trip to OSU bc he heard Briles was hired. I also remember my freshman year losing every game so don’t tell me we had a good program. Keenum had much more to work with.

Nobody is saying that Keenum didn’t have more to work with than Kolb, especially defensively, but that is not what you said. You said that Kolb had little around him, and it isn’t true. In fact, it is very inaccurate. DA and AA were two of the most electric athletes that I have seen at UH… ever, and we all know how Battle turned out. YAC during the Kolb era was off the charts.

2 Likes

Isn’t a Mt. Rushmore comparison supposed to be limited to just four?

2 Likes

A men to that…

Thanks. Glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed.

During one of levines practices, I watched piland, Okorn and some scrawny short guy, throw some balls.
Wondered to my self if this guy will ever see the field as a Qback. piland was throwing darts, looked the part. Okorn had the “it” factor. But the short guy, man I don’t even remember him throw a ball. after Piland and Okorn had finished their routines and and Greg stepped up to throw to back up of backups , I walked away. Swear …

No clue he was going to be the most successful quarterback the last twenty years IMO. Greg has his peach bowl and the dude had UH playing for the national championship in 2016.

Case was astounding and built a stadium , Kolb was powerful and won a championship , but neither of these guys except for GWard, has won a Major ( pun intended).

1 Like

Keep in mind that Greg played two seasons with a bummed shoulder. He was outstanding…just a couple of inches too short to play QB in the N.F.L.

1 Like