New kickoff rule - and it's going to change the game

Thanks Pray… that makes more sense now on what is driving it.

We could just have the games decided by gamers on PlayStation.

1 Like

Ben, i agree…I hate the new rule…helps the Rices of college FB and hurts the Houstons. Most every returner thinks they can run a kick back for a TD…Hope we dont see hardly any fair catches, but if a team has little speed or talent in their return crew, coaches may instruct them to fair catch so they get decent field position each time.

Hopefully it will get rid of the strategy of trying to kick it into the corner with results of an out of bounds penalty.

I think kicking toward the corner is primarily to focus the coverage of the kick.

Personally, I wouldn’t have a problem if a fair catch inside of the 15 yard line resulted in getting the ball at the 15…othewise run it out !! All of this injury myth, doesn’t seem to take into account that hard blocking will be taking place BEFORE the kick MAY be fair caught.

What’s next, no blocking until the kick returner decidees what to do ?

I don’t think the injuries are a myth, but the second part of this point is certainly correct. When the ball is kicked, the kicking team is on a dead sprint down the field because they have no idea if the ball will go out of the end zone, be fair caught, or returned. They are fulfilling their assignments. The return team is already trying to lay out the guys in the first wave before the return player has even decided whether to fair catch or not. I can’t see this rule significantly reducing concussions at all.

Also, I laughed out loud on the pace of play rule changes. You want to quicken the pace of play? Stop having TV time outs every 3rd play!

4 Likes

I don’t know about you; but I’ve never seen multiple fatalities on the field or been blindsided by a 300 pounder in the shower.

1 Like

What percentage of people who drive and shower get lifelong injuries??? Sorry, but those are terrible statements. It has pretty much gotten to the point where a majority of players who play multiple years in the NFL have injuries they deal with for the rest of their lives. A lot of players who just play in college too. A person may shower 30,000 times in their lifetime, if a player had 30,000 games he would be in a wheelchair and not know his own name.

The game is what it is and at least guys know the dangers of it now when they sign up. I feel bad for all those guys in the 90s and earlier who only thought about broken bones and torn muscles who now struggle through daily activities.

As for kickoffs, they might as well take them out. They are no longer exciting plays and are a waste of time. Football will still be good without them.

1 Like

this rule is a joke like the whole ncaa

This makes since. They moved the touchback from the 20 to the 25 to encourage more touchbacks for player safety. The reverse happened, kickers are kicking it shorter forcing returns. This is the logical next step to increase the number of touchbacks.

If they had eliminated KO’s, then we would not have won the bowl game in Fort Worth against Pittsburg !!!

You are eliminating an important part of FB !!!

2 Likes

You can still leave in the option of an onside kick. The only part which would be missing would be the fake.

Except you stated that we might as well take them out…I read that to mean kickoffs !!

If you take them out…there would be no onside kicks…otherwise everyone would be on
a collision course from 10 yards separation…thus injuries !!

This whole issue is a bunch of BS !!

Yes, but it would be like once every couple games. How many onside kicks did we have last year? If no body is returning kicks, then yes you might as well get rid of them. Waste of time to see touchbacks/fair catches 90% of the time.

The only way you get rid of, or even reduce injuries on kick offs is to prevent the kickoff team from sprinting down the field, thus forcing the receiving team to lay blocks on guys moving extremely fast. And the only way to do that is to get rid of kick offs altogether. So either get rid of kickoffs and make everyone start from the 25, or drop the rule completely. I just don’t see how you can keep kickoffs and reduce injuries.

1 Like

How about punts ?

Guess we could just pay to watch glorified scrimmages !!

1 Like

On a side note, I always thought a lower tier bowl should have fans sign up for a team and vote [Twitter, game console, etc] on what play to run next [most votes win] like a Ps or XBOX game

The Brooklyn Dodgers did something like that a long time ago. The Manager sat on the field in a chair and when a decision needed to be made (i.e. bunt, steal, etc), he would turn and look at the crowd and they would hold up cards giving their opinion. Majority won. It ended up not going well and the Dodgers were blown out I believe.

1 Like

I didn’t like this rule when it was announced and the more I think about it the less I like it. It punishes the teams that have a kicker that put the ball down just outside the goal line and rewards the teams that have no return game. If you are going to allow a fair catch on the kick off, use the same rules used on punts. The ball is down at the spot of the catch.

Wow! When you sit there and actually extrapolate the numbers that is actually a pretty scary statistic. If you just look at percentages you can easily sit there and say oh that’s not so bad. But when you’re talking about only 5.8% of the plays that is a huge statistic.