New Transfer Target - Justin Gorham from Towson (Update: Commits to Houston)

What does this mean for mccullar? Will they boot grant for good?

Probably means he’s not coming

https://twitter.com/JustinG4_/status/1011693676496646146

Not necessarily. I still think we’re a long shot, but who knows. Justin is the stretch four CKS been seeking.

we have 4 ships to use for next year.

McCullar will enroll in January (but redshirt) so he’ll count against this years total. With Grant on scholly we’re full, without Grant on scholly we have a spot for McCullar.

In any event, Gorham seems like a solid addition for front court depth.

We have 5 to use for next year. If McCullar comes on board, then we will have 4 to use.

Whatever…If he wants to come to UH, I am sure that CKS and staff can accomodate him !!!

Why would he redshirt ?

He’s only 17 graduating a year early. Wants to have a full year of weight training and practicing against college competition, so when he plays in 2019-20, he can probably start from day one. Dude is a stud.

Say what?

My guess is that Justin is hcc for the year he is sitting out…(from Harris, to the UMass boys) we seem to be very familiar with the process

Or however we made 14 work last season

I get that you are trying to make a point, just not sure what it is

I never said we weren’t getting him… the debate was about whether grant would be a walk-on

My point: we wanted to have McCullar visit first, so we could see how strong his interest is, Before Justin’s Visit… From social media McCullar has already decided and posted that he needs people to make his commit video. So it was likely the coaches knew McCullar intentions before Justin visited ( and whether to offer him a immediate scholarship or not)

I said we could get both but if so I think Justin will be in HCC for a year

Am I the only one who gets really annoyed by these “commit videos”, or am I just turning into an old fogie? I truly detest all the shameless self-promotion. Makes me think that particular kid is going to elevate himself over his teammates any chance he gets.

3 Likes

thats what i meant

Gabe will not be on scholly next season if we land McCullar. Gorham will not be at HCC. He will be on campus practicing with the team.

Yeah. Gorham at HCC is also a possibility. Really hope we get McCullar.

Would it be possible for Gorham to be on scholarship in the fall at UH, then go to HCC for the spring since McCullar won’t be here in the fall? I’m guessing no, but I’m not sure if the scholarship limits are separated by semester.

Or I guess Grant could be on scholarship in the fall but not the spring as well.

You guys really think that Coach Sampson brought in a kid from Baltimore, MD and told him that he may or may not go to HCC for a year, depending on what McCullar decides? So a kid from thousands of miles away who knows nothing about the city of Houston will have to hang out at HCC for a year where he knows nobody? And where will he live? and who is paying for his food? This kid has a full ride to UH. He’s not hanging out at HCC for a year.

1 Like

I don’t know. In a vacuum I would say that’s really unlikely but the UMass guys did it and had “better” other transfer options than Gorham did. While not ideal, pretty sure he could get federal loans to cover tuition and living expenses. I’m sure he’d also play and hang out with the team a bunch like the UMass guys probably did. He wouldn’t be sitting around the HCC campus 16 hours a day.

I would guess that’s not happening, but it’s weird you are talking about this as fact if you don’t have personal information considering that this exact scenario occurred last year, unless I misunderstood the situation with the UMass guys.

You are stating my proof…he isn’t waiting on McCullar, he already knows his situation… you are proving my Point

Justin visited all the other schools he was interested in Late May back to back … it made no sense why he was visiting us in late june

My theory: he could have visited in early June. We told him to come in late June (after McCullar visited) … after McCullar visited we would know how strong McCullar’s interest is… Whether to hold the scholarship for him and offer a HCC spot to Justin … Or just offer Justin directly

(McCullar already hinted he had decided before Justin’s visit)

And the UMass boys who were dramatically more touted and had high majors after them, went to HCC … Not sure why it’s impossible to think Justin who only had mid-major offers could be talked into hcc