Next season

There may never be the buzz that Herman had when he was here for 2 years. With that said, it doesn’t seem much is going on in terms on excitement or catching fans attention. I say that to say this. My dad who is in his late 60’s said he doesn’t plan on attending a game this year for the first time in decades. In part due to physical ailment and in part due to the downward trajectory of the program. He doesn’t see the point in going through obstacles (not many at his age would have) to get to games this year. He said, “with my physical condition and another season not much better than last year it doesn’t make sense for me to go through the challenges I have to to attend a game next year.”

3 Likes

I understand physical ailments. That said, it’s a little early to be giving up on next season.

8 Likes

What downward trajectory ? I think it is going to be a great year …I am 74 !

14 Likes

I am on the otherside of your dad Youngloyalcougar2. I have several young children as well as my wife and I working - we are busy. The bottom line is that UH is a product just like anything else. We may be more loyal to it than most products, but at the end of the day we need something to be excited about and it needs to be worth our time and money.

4 Likes

Defense isn’t sexy but it’s the key for next year. Add in a lighter schedule and I think the Coogs will have a good year. After next season, we will be losing the following starters/key players: Marquez Stevenson, Mulbah Car/Kyle Porter, Keith Corbin, Gio Pancotti, Braylon Jones, Jarrid Williams, Payton Turner, David Anenih, Damarion Williams, Grant Stuard, Terrance Edgeston, Deontay Anderson, and others. That is a lot of talent that will be leaving but that is a lot of talent that we will get to see for one more year.

I am a 64 year old stroke survivor with mobility limitations. My seats are on the third deck home side. I attended every home game and Oklahoma ( my seats were 10 rows from the top) last year. I will be in my seats this year, God willing. Win or lose I am a Cougar.

26 Likes

I too am having a harder time getting around as I head toward 72…
And I am going to be totally honest here…I am not a big Holgersen fan…I don’t like the way he conducts himself during interviews or on the sideline…and I agree that excitement around UH football is at a low point.
But let me add this, I have told my son I am not renewing this year…but after thinking seriously about it and listening to my 40 year old son, I just can’t turn my back on my great University as long as I can walk and make it to my seat.
It has been a blast going to the basketball games this year and I am already excited about renewing for next year…and the next lol…
I am keeping my fingers crossed with Holgersen running the program…I do think he has a plan and that we will be able to turn things around.
Regardless, he is the leader of our Coogs and I will never stop supporting or rooting for my Coogs…

16 Likes

I’ll add this. My grandmother took me to more Astros games than I could count when I was a kid. I wanted to take her to a playoff game last year but she just can’t physically make it. If your dad is close to that point I would definitely tell him to make as many games as he can before he doesn’t have the ability. Win or lose I’m sure he’ll get at least a few more good memories.

5 Likes

UofH has only 9 wins in the last 25 games. Yes, downward trajectory.

Herman went 22-4 at UofH.

2 Likes

12 wins

1 Like

Nope. Nine (9) wins because UofH vacated three (3) wins for academic misconduct!

1 Like

Maybe we’ll be able to rebound like Pete Carroll did after going 0-13 in 2005 at USC then.

3 Likes

Thank you, Kindly Sir…we need you!

Can you at least give us 10 wins instead of 9? I’ll give you the Rice game but come on It’s hard to vacate the Texas Southern game considering we thumped them 70 - 14.

In all seriousness, this Senior class is made up of the guys who were recruited in 2016 by Tom Herman. Not much of that 2016 class remains but the ones that do have been through thick and thin over the past 4 years. They never quit when times got tough and they have put their blood, sweat, and tears into this game we love. I don’t know about y’all but I’ll be there to support these young men in any way I can to show my gratitude for them regardless of the fact they have came up short on the scoreboard more times than not over the last couple of years.

2 Likes

Any of you guys who don’t come next year are going to miss a great season because all the transfers on defense are going to make a big difference next year.

7 Likes

Hey, I turn 80 before next season and I’m sure as he*l going to be there. If I miss a season it’s because I’m dead. Even last year they paid me back with enough exciting games that it’s worth it.

13 Likes

Edgeston is not starting over Kirven. That ship has sailed.

Why did the ship sail on Edgeston? Just wondering. I liked what I saw from Kirven more so than Edgeston but Edgeston started over him when camp broke and was starting over Kirven until he was injured during the season.

I could be wrong but all Kirven did when he played was thump guys and be in position. Maybe there shouldn’t be too much stock put into the front 7 since CJC utilizes a hockey line rotation, but Kirven should get the bulk of the snaps. He just passes the eye test and is more rangy. Seems like a uphill battle for Edgeston dealing with injuries.

Kirven passes the eye test big time but he needs some serious coaching. He was lost most of the time out there. One of the markers of how good this coaching staff is will be how much Kirven improves next year.

3 Likes