GAMEDAY THREAD: Boise State @ UH 11/27 2PM Central ESPN+ (W 68-58)

Not going to pretend that I did that much research so just getting the conversation started.

I like to look at what they have returning, especially being their first game.

I had heard of Alston a 6’9 athletic guard. He can score but doesn’t appear to be a great outside shooter.whatI didn’t realize was how much this team lost.

Out of the 9 who played the most minutes last season 6 are gone including a couple big contributors.

They need a couple shooters to step up and don’t seem to be a great rebounding team.

I see they have a couple transfers who can help but do not look to be difference-makers

I like our chances if we play to our culture.

4 Likes

i post this in the schedule thread a while back… ill just paste it here

there is WIDE range of projections for Boise; people like Goodman and Rothstein have them a NCAA bubble team, to others ranging all the way to 5th or 6th in the MWC. The wide range is because they lost A TON of players (thats the con)— the pro; they return their 2 most talented players then add 4 transfers who “could be” studs (the positive outlook)

Their “likely” starting lineup–which is very unique-- heavy on the point bigs
G - 6’2 Marcus Shaver – 15pt transfer from Portland- extremely shifty G- efficiency not great
G/F- 6’7 Abu Kigab– 11pts 4rb last season at Boise–Oregon transfer/former 150 4*
G/F- 6’8 Emmanuel Akot- Arizona transfer/former 5star recruit- was starter on Arizona but not used much on offense- transferred for offensive freedom
G/F- 6’9 Derrick Alston- 18pts 6rb- projected 2nd round pick- big with legitimate guard skills, often runs the point for boise (preseason mwc POY)
C- 6’10 Mladen Armus- 8pts 8rbs transfer from a 24 win ETSU, super buff center from serbia

Not eligible till mid December – 6’5 Devonaire Doutrive - former top 70 4*/Arizona transfer-- wont play vs us, but will affect how this game looks at the end of the season

they have 5 other new players in freshman and juco- but they arent touted so ill leave it to them to surprise us and wont look into them…

boise’s coach says this will be the most talented team he has ever had at boise and has a chance to be the best… he had multiple ncaa tourney teams at boise… watching the ucla/sdsu post game Rothstein reiterated he believes Boise is a tourney

3 Likes

boise is traditionally a good offense poor defense team, but have never had defensive players like they do now (akot and shaver are good on D)

i spoke to some boise fans some time back about the game, technically they brought it up, they feel pretty good about their chances…noted how they small we are compared to them. how we have no one taller than 6’8 , and they could be playing 4 6’8ish or taller players at once

1 Like

Expect those fans to learn a few lessons come Friday afternoon

8 Likes

I will still be out of town for this game. Any news on where it will be broadcasted?

Those Boise fans must not have seen the Coogs run… And shoot.

2 Likes

ESPN+ If you go to the schedule on www.uhcougars.com, the TV network will always be listed.

1 Like

I just hope we’ve found some good combinations of players that sync well together. That seemed to be an issue early last year.

We will have no problems Friday.

1 Like

Kijab and those other kids are terrible why do you think they left where they were

1 Like

Don’t let there size fool you

1 Like

@RWcoog… Sorry to hijack your thread. There’s so much excitement for this team…I think it’s a good idea to open up the discussion for tomorrow’s game a little early. :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1332036403568455688?s=20

1 Like

I think we’re going to see a tighter rotation for this game… At least in the first half. If we’re in control in the second, I suspect we’ll see a little bit of the younger guys. Mills ankle will also dictate a few things. Hopefully he’ll be at full strength.

1 Like

I have to disagree a little bit. I think CKS believes that November is for teaching and developing your players and so I think that we’ll see 10 (or more) guys get 10+ minutes, hopefully with 3 or 4 guys scoring in double digits.

1 Like

I found it interesting that in yesterday’s game, there were only two Coogs in double figures, Mark and Sasser. The point distribution for everyone else was pretty evenly distributed across the board. I like when the entire team gets involved in the scoring column.

4 Likes

Yes, we relied a bit too heavily on Sasser & Mark for scoring. And while we were missing Mills; I would like to see guys like Grimes & Jarreau & Roberts & Chaney & Gresham each score 8-10+ points per game. [Seems to me that someone (or more) will need to fill in for White’s mid range jumper game.]

Don’t really know yet what to expect from Gorham & Tyson & Shead & Powell (both in minutes of play as well as in points scored). Man are we a deep team.

I think you’re probably going to be disappointed if you’re expecting Chaney, Roberts and/or Gresham to get 10+ a game. CKS offenses aren’t really set up for the front court to score a bunch and none of those guys have any post moves. Pretty much all their points will come from put backs, so if they’re scoring 10+, it means our guards are missing everything.

6 Likes

Well, you may be right, but last year Grimes avg’d 12.1, Hinton avg’d 10.6, Jarreau avg’d 9.0 and White avg’d 9.5 - so those 4 guys were averaging ~10+ per game. So I’m looking for Grimes & Jarreau as well as for Roberts &/or Chaney &/or Gresham to step it up and help fill the void.

As good as Sasser & Mark & Mills are, it seems to me that we are going to have to spread the load and develop a mid-range to inside game as well. Of course it could come from penetration and mid range jumpers by Shead &/or Sasser or their assists for open mid range shots by Gorham or Roberts or Chaney or Gresham or Powell.

2 Likes

Right. Expecting 24-30 combined each game out of Gresham, Chaney and Roberts isn’t at all realistic.

Most of the scoring will likely come from Mills, Mark, Grimes, Deeky, and Sasser.

5 Likes