Next year is a pivotal year - schedule question

I agree. Something needs to change with the offense or it doesn’t matter who is playing quarterback, the offense will continue to struggle. King is actually a good passer, much better than I anticipated, and obviously he can run. Yet , the offense is so predictable it struggles way too often to put points on the board.

My concern is that defense is carrying the team way too often. What kind of team will MA field when Oliver leaves? Hell, I’m even concerned with losing Thurman after this year.

Offensively, our two top receivers are gone so I pray we have some talented freshman coming in to fill the holes. Then again, I feel like we have talent sitting on the sidelines not playing so there’s that issue, too. Who is waiting in the wings to fill wide receiver positions?

He had 4 drives in the first half. First ended in a FG. Second one, King runs for 33 yards on first play, Catalon fumbles the next play. 3rd drive, we go 70 yards down inside the 10, all on passes or runs by King. We then proceed to hand the ball off 3 straight times and give them the ball back. Last drive of the half was 6 plays and a punt. I’m not blaming D’Eriq King for that first half, sorry.

3 Likes

The defense has been carrying this team well before Oliver got here. I don’t see why the defense would struggle when he is gone.

Some fans arrived during the 2015 season.

1 Like

We had a different DC for one. I don’t have confidence that the current defense can keep carrying the team after our all-American
DT departs.

The point I was trying to make, though, is that the offiense needs to improve if we ever want to win consistently. The current offense just won’t cut it. Honestly, if the defense gets any worse we may be looking at a .500 team at best.

Completely agree. King played well minus the INT.

I have been advocating and will continue to advocate the hiring of a Co-OC to take over play-calling. Johnson is, quite simply, not good at it. He may be an excellent QB coach, but he has had a history of demotions from play-calling duties twice before. I think we are seeing why.

Three different quarterbacks, the same problem three times - the offense stalls out due to predictable play-calling and poor coaching.

1 Like

On the other hand, we’re only 3 offensive plays away from being 10-1 right now.

Also, we have big shoes to fill on defense next year even with Ed on the team. That’s just the way it goes in college football.

Also, I don’t think it is possible to say now what the defense will look like in 2019, from a personnel standpoint or how good it will be. Same goes for the offense.

There are always some guys who come in with high expectations as freshmen and never get any better while others that no one expects much of keep on developing and make a real impact as juniors and seniors.

Only time will tell.