Next year

Tyson is a spot player. He will get limited minutes.

2 Likes

Ramon got skills, tho. Robbie is more like Dennis Rodman out there. I just think he just needs to develop more on his craft. Need more tools on the toolbox :wrench:.

I didn’t see that or hear what Sampson said. Like I said, I doubted he would come back, but since I didn’t know for sure, I didn’t want to say. I am sure he will be playing somewhere next year and wish him the best. He has been a very integral part of this year’s squad.

2 Likes

Agreed so he will have decide if he wants to stay and play a small role or transfer again. Hopefully he can show some of the creation he did at Idaho.

I think jerrau and gresham are gone for sure. Gorham came into his own this year and would probably benefit from one more year as far as his nba stock goes…same with grimes but it’s different.
Gorham’s draft eval will center around…will he get drafted
while Grimes will be his projection in the draft…likely they are both gone but it’s a weird year so who knows what will happen

4 Likes

did you watch robbie in his junior year in a regular high school, or at wasatch…
one thing about high school is to not get fooled by the level of play…robbie and ramon had similar level production on their junior year. he transferred his senior year to the elite private school level (the highest level in high school)… ramon is unquestion the better shooter, but robbie might be more proven on every other part of the game
ps im not saying he wont line up at the 4, but he’ll be working on guard stuff…

1 Like

First of all, Ramon Walker had to played PF in HS because the lack of size on his team. But dude has averaged 24+ per game in his last two years and he’s been a proven 3 level scorer. And I’m not talking about making a 3 or two. He has had games when he goes off from the 3 point line. He kinda of reminds me of Terrance Shannon from Tech with a better jumper. He’s also a good iso scorer. Wouldn’t be shock if he plays some wing.

I saw Robbie with Wasatch this year and he was held scoreless one time vs Montverde where he couldn’t created for himself and wasn’t given that many scoring opportunities. He attacks and plays hard but his perimeter game is kinda of nonexistent.

And I do agreed he will be working hard to improve his skill but I’m not expecting much from him during his freshman year at UH scoring wise.

1 Like

We don’t even know what our roster is going to look like yet, pretty hard to make projections without at least knowing that

1 Like

Don’t sleep on Shead…

1 Like

I’ve seen Ramon a few times this yr and he will definitely play some on the wing. Again as I said there are guys who can play a few different positions.

1 Like

i hate this because it seems like im ragging on a guy i actually like… but you are proving my point about being fooled by the level of play

you are comping robbie against Monteverde, the #1 team in all of high school basketball, to ramons stats not even the highest level in texas

how in the world is ramon a proven 3 level score, pushing around 5’9 140lbs defenders is all the proove you need?.. i watched 3 aau games with ramon (against higher comp) he came into that as a top 100 recruit had his ratings fall after, and that was because against tougher competition he became just a stationary spot shooter

robbie was putting up crazy stats when he was at therrell (regular high school in georgia) as a sophomore and junior
https://twitter.com/ehoopsshowcase/status/1066039619538571265
he transfered to an elite high school as a senior to “prove he was better than alot of the 5stars” that ended up back firing, but lets remove the context that he is playing elite competition

side note im not expecting much scoring from either scoring wise …ramon will knock down open 3s, robbie will get some hinton level putbacks…but i dont expect big points from either

2 Likes

There was a limited AAU circuit last year, and when he went up against a loaded Atascocita team last year they couldn’t stop him.

Plus, it’s easier scoring down low on 5’9 than it is shooting 3 point shots on them when you’re 6’5.

Had there been a AAU Nike circuit everyone is saying he would of crack the top 100.

1 Like

No need to share opinions as pesik (or should I say Cliff Claven) is the only one on here who knows anything.

Ramon will play some at the three. I guess we’ll see how it plays out.

1 Like

There were AAU events that weren’t on the circuit. Walker played in a few events with Texas Hardwork. The team had Manny Obaseki, Austin Nunez, etc. Walker was basically 3&D in those games.

I think Armbreaster will be a wildcard and will be used in a variety of ways. I have no idea what his game will look like at the college level.

2 Likes

there was aau this year…we actually had a gamethread here because it was being live streamed … the team was texas hardwork…him teammates was mannie obeski, austin nunez (a big 2022 target for us) and a few others …

Regardless of what Gorham does, number 1 priority this offseason needs to be a dynamic guard. There should be no shortage of those in the portal this offseason. Especially with the immediate eligibility rule.

1 Like

No matter who the signee is, I’m always impressed with their abilities and excited to have them join our team.

That being said, I rarely understand how they’ll truly fit into our system and culture. Most of these kids are coming from a situation where they’ve been “The Man”…and trying to figure out how they’ll all of a sudden be able to turn the car keys over to someone else and play selflessly is something that will be key to our future success.

That being said (part 2), if the coaching staff has identified certain attributes within a player, scoring, physical and mental, and see them able to fill positions of need and integrate well within Houston’s culture, then I’m not the least bit worried about any of our incoming guys. The culture will guide them…or they’ll be bolting for another program.

I do see a need to bring in some high-octane offense, though. These last few games with the up-tempo pace has shown that, if the defensive effort is there, teams have a really difficult time keeping up with us when we push things offensively.

Times are good!

6 Likes

I’m not speculating on what HS kids will do as college players for a couple of reasons. One, I don’t follow HS basketball and have no idea what their abilities and liabilities are against even average HS level talent. Two, what they do in HS isn’t necessarily an indicator of what they will do in college.

However, what I have noticed over the last 7 years is that whomever Sampson brings in, he will coach them up a lot and get their very best. It may be sooner for some than others, but eventually they will be ingrained in the Sampson culture and contributing or they will be gone. I guess I put so much trust in Sampson that I just take for granted that he will be getting guys that will eventually help this team in whatever role he assigns to them.

3 Likes

A big-time player with HUGE baggage just entered the portal today. I doubt we even look at him, but this is just the beginning.

Robbie Armbrester is a diamond :gem: on a rough prospect. Nice player who’s going to develop under Sampson, nicely. He kinda reminds of Roberts who would put big scoring numbers in HS. Even Cedric Alley was a beast scoring wise in Klein Forest. I’m not shock by Robbie’s scoring prowess in Therrell.

Ramon 's school also went up to 6A and if it wasn’t for a few blowout wins, he probably would of average more points. He has improved a lot from his junior year.

There’s a reason why he’s the undisputed #1 player in the county in 2021. Maybe regardless of class considering how out of shape Griggs looked early on.