NFL Coogs: Week 13, 2018

Well, since I’m on Twitter lockdown after RT’ing a ton of Basketball tweets from last night, better get this out before the start of games today. No Coogs played Thursday:

Sunday, 2 December 2018

• D’Juan Hines (Browns) at Houston - Noon on CBS
  • Tyus Bowser (Ravens) at Atlanta - Noon on CBS
  • Case Keenum (Broncos) at William Jackson III and Brandon Wilson (Bengals) - Noon on CBS
  • Wade Phillips (Rams) at Detroit - Noon on FOX
  • Cameron Malveaux (Cardinals) at Green Bay - Noon on FOX
  • Thomas McGaughey (Giants) vs Chicago - Noon on FOX
  • Matt Adams (Colts) vs DJ Hayden (Jaguars) - Noon on CBS
  • Elandon Roberts and Chad O’Shea (Patriots) vs Minnesota - 3:25pm on FOX

Practice Squad

• Steven Dunbar (49ers)
  • Kyle Allen (Panthers)

Injured Reserve

• Howard Wilson (Browns)

Broadcast Maps: http://506sports.com/

If you’re in Houston you get:

• Cleveland at Houston at noon on CBS
  • Minnesota at New England at 3:25pm on FOX

No 3rd game since the Texans are playing at home.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Browns-players-My-Cause-My-Cleats-125565254/

LB D’Juan Hines - Education, low income families

Kirksey, safety Damarious Randall, kicker Greg Joseph and linebacker D’Juan Hines visited Clark Elementary in partnership with the Cleveland Metropolitan School District’s “Get 2 School, You Can Make It” campaign on Tuesday to celebrate a class of third graders’ great attendance this school year.

Tyus Bowser, Autism Awareness (Autism Speaks)

“It’s all a stepping stone,” the 23-year-old Bowser said. “I’m young in this league, and even from high school to college, I was going through the same exact thing, working my way up to get as many snaps as I could. It’s just the same thing — staying patient and understanding that God has a reason for everything. You’ve just got to wait until your turn is called.”

Cincinnati Bengals : Over the last two seasons combined, William Jackson III has allowed a 46.8% catch rate which is lowest among all cornerbacks.

Case Keenum, Christian Values Services (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)

Week 13 inactives
https://sports.yahoo.com/week-13-early-inactives-163233616.html

Cardinals: LB Deone Bucannon, WR Chad Williams, CB Quinten Rollins, CB Dontae Johnson, LB Thurston Armbrister, OL D.J. Humphries, DL Cameron Malveaux

“Welcome to our world,” said special teams coach Thomas McGaughey. “It is what it is. You just – like I told you guys before, it’s just one of those deals, you’re just always ready to expect the unexpected and just roll with it. Good thing we got options, so nothing to sweat about it. Just go out there and play.”

Matthew Adams, Animal Rights (American Pitbull Foundation)

Indianapolis Colts : The Colts have 51 pressures this season coming from their rookies, which is the most for any team. Kemoko Turay leads the team with 33, while Darius Leonard, Tyquan Lewis, Matthew Adams and Skai Moore have all contributed.

DJ Hayden, Underprivileged Youth & Mentorship (The DJ Hayden Foundation)

If the rising star is forced to miss game action, D.J. Hayden should get the first chance to enter the starting lineup opposite A.J. Bouye. Tyler Patmon and Tre Herndon may also receive an uptick in playing time at cornerback in certain defensive packages.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Preview-Vikings-have-tough-task-facing-well-rounded-Patriots-125719258/

In the middle of the defense, New England has a pair of playmakers on the outside in Dont’a Hightower and Kyle Van Noy . Hightower has been a leader of the defense for years and Van Noy is the team leader in tackles (70). Middle linebacker Elandon Roberts is in his third season and growing into the MLB position with 48 tackles.

* Patriots wide receivers coach Chad O’Shea worked for the Vikings as an offensive assistant/wide receivers coach from 2006-08.

Is an option activating WR Steven Dunbar Jr. from the practice squad so you have five guys?

“Dunbar pulled his hamstring last week in practice. So, he’s not an option. We still have [WR Victor] Bolden [Jr.]. But, that is a case if we ever did go forward and IR Pierre or let someone else go. But, we’re also getting other people up at other positions. To do that, it helps to go short at receiver. Just keep your fingers crossed with the receivers.”

ERob just laid out Dalvin Cook! Remember the Peach Bowl Cook!

5 Likes

Wasn’t there a coaching and so philosophy change that has changed Jackson’s performance? I hear he likes the change and is doing much better. …or am I thinking of another Coog DB?

1 Like

Cincy fired their DC a couple of weeks ago and Marvin Lewis took over. The DC was new this year and had implemented a zone system for the secondary that had frustrated the Cincy DBs that were used to playing man before this season. Jackson has been playing well since the chance (although the rest of the Cincy DBs haven’t been as good).

My guess is that this will be Lewis’s last year as head coach unless Cincy can somehow make the playoffs. Yesterday’s loss won’t help them in that area though as they’re now 2 games back of the 2nd wild card with 4 games to go.

1 Like

Everyone is already done this week:

Players

• D’Juan Hines (Browns L 29-13 to Texans) - Hines was in on 13 special teams snaps and didn’t record a stat.
  • Tyus Bowser (Ravens W 26-16 over Falcons) - Bowser was in on 9 defensive snaps and 15 special teams snaps but didn’t record a stat.
  • Case Keenum (Broncos W 24-10 over Bengals) - Keenum was 12-21 for 151 yards 1 TD and a 95.5 rating. He also ran 2 times for 9 yards.
  • William Jackson III (Bengals L 24-10 to Broncos) - Jackson had 1 tackle and was credited with a pass defensed. He did have to leave the game for a bit due to injury, but was able to return.
  • Brandon Wilson (Bengals L 24-10 to Broncos) - Wilson was in in on 2 defensive snaps and 17 special teams snaps, but did not record a stat.
  • Cam Malveaux (Cardinals W 20-17 over Packers) - Malveaux was inactive for the game.
  • Matt Adams (Colts L 6-0 to Jaguars) - In a defensive battle, Adams saw his most action of the season with 24 snaps on defense and 19 on special teams. He made 2 tackles and was credited with a tackle for loss. He was also called for a roughing the passer in which he led with his helmet, but it was a questionable call at best as replays showed that he hit the QB with his shoulder (the penalty did not lead to points for the Jags).
  • Elandon Roberts (Patriots W 24-10 over Vikings) - Roberts had 5 tackles on the day and delivered a “molar-rattling” hit on Dalvin Cook early that probably reminded Cook of that other game that the two were involved in back in 2015.

Coaches

• Wade Phillips (Rams W 30-16 over Lions) - Phillips’s defense looked like a prototypical Wade Phillips defense should. They held the Lions to 310 total yards, accumulated 4 sacks, had 10 Tackles for Loss, 4 pass defenses, and hit the QB 11 times. They also forced a key fumble when the game was 16-13 Rams in the 4th quarter which led to a TD 3 plays later and then picked off the Lions final pass.
    -Thomas McGaughey (Giants W 30-27 over Bears) - Special Teams for the Giants was critical in the victory which included a game-winning 44 yard FG. On the day, the Giants K was 3/3 on FG, including one from 57 yards, and 3/3 on XPs. The Giants punter punted 7 times for a 44.3 yard average and had 1 downed inside the 20. On kick returns, there were 3 for an 18.7 yard average and 3 punt returns for 12 yard average.
  • Chad O’Shea (Patriots W 24-10 over Vikings) - Patriots Receivers ran 1 time for 6 yards and caught 10 of the 15 passes thrown their way for 156 yards and a TD. As far as the red zone, since O’Shea is in charge of the Red Zone offense, the Patriots were 2 for 3, converting 2 touchdowns, but missing a FG.

As far as the playoff picture with 3 games left (minus the Washington-Philly game tonight):

• Balitmore is currently the 2nd wildcard with Miami, Indianapolis, Denver, and Tennessee all a game back.

Here’s that ridiculous roughing the passer penalty on Matt Adams:

https://twitter.com/MrSportsLeak/status/1069297862255747074

Don’t forget about DJ Hayden! He had a great game against the Colts!

2 Likes