NFL has a problem, and it is big

And we haven’t even gotten to the Los Angeles Chargers, who haven’t even been able to sellout a 27,000-seat stadium. No one wanted the Chargers in Los Angeles, and it has shown so far. Dean Spanos and his family have consistently claimed they are pleased with ticket sales and “excited” about what’s happened with the franchise in LA, but look at the following picture for the team’s first ever official game in Los Angeles:

That was taken just before publishing this piece. Everything in color there is a ticket on sale for the team’s Week 2 matchup with the Miami Dolphins. Many of them are “re-sale” tickets that were likely snagged up by brokers when season tickets went on sale. Those brokers will likely aim to sell those seats to opposing fans all season. That graphic is stunning because it comes from just one ticket selling website, and there are several others that each have hundreds of tickets available.

Looks to me like the state of California DGAF about NFL Football. Empty stadiums and the news of the CFL eliminating padded practices during the regular season will cause the NFL to make some moves in the future…

Oklahoma City should start thinking about luring the Chargers. I bet they could sell more than 27,000 tickets to the OKC Lightning home opener.

1 Like

People don’t want politics with their Sunday football, there is enough of that during the week. For me, it was the kneeling by one idiot, now others. In addition, when the NFL refused to allow the Cowboys to wear a commemorative patch for ONE game for the 5 Police Officers that died, that was it for me.

I don’t go to any games anymore
i don’t watch them anymore
i don’t buy any NFL stuff anymore

1 Like

What does this have to do with Cougar Football?

Truth is, when the Oilers moved I quit watching pro football except for when Case was qbing the Texans. I really have not missed the NFL.

2 Likes

I watch the NFL when I can strictly for the X’s & O’s aspect. I’d never go to a game unless I got a ticket for free, and even then with parking and concessions…I’d rather just stay home and watch on TV. Like the article says, the league makes so much off its TV contract, who cares about empty stadiums?

This picture though… 2nd half kickoff. That is Rice type fan support!

https://twitter.com/annkillion/status/907002090421084162/photo/1

Spending $200+ for 2 tickets to sit in the nose bleeds, $20 for parking, and eating no concessions while dealing with the traffic to/from the stadium isn’t worth it. Then, throw in the poor quality of the product (I’m not even talking about politics) and there’s no reason to waste any time on it.

The NFL is a QB driven league; you have to have a good one to succeed. If you don’t have one, there’s no point in playing as the rules they’ve implemented require you to have one. Nothing else matters and there aren’t enough good QBs to make it interesting.

I think we’re hitting a tipping point with sports and entertainment in that people just aren’t willing to spend the money that’s required anymore, especially, when you can just watch it on TV and see more and probably have a better experience. Simple economics as the price point is too high for the demand.

2 Likes

The N.F.L. wanted parity. The product has been average at best. Two Teams have moved, one is on the move. The American population is finally starting to understand that only a very few owners love their community and their players. You add constant scandals, terrible Teams, lots of bad Coaching/front office , the concussion issue and the lack of concern by goodell so it only spells trouble.
https://www.mighty1090.com/2017/09/14/daily-links-sign-guys-anti-nfl-billboards-go-up-in-carson/?utm_campaign=&utm_content=Daily+Links%3A+Sign+Guy's+Anti-NFL+Billboards+go+up+in+Carson&utm_medium=email&utm_source=getresponse

Another issue with the NFL:

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/909481608264085504

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/909575003380871168

I love it and I double down love it how the chargers lost that game. spanos, “bought out” politicians and the NFL deserves all the credit for this quagmire. Us ex-chargers fans hope that they lose every single game. I feel badly for P.Rivers, A.Gates future hall of famers. I can’t even imagine if they would have played for a Patriots, Steelers, Seahawks organisation. National Football Luck it is.
kronke and spanos deserve each other.

2 Likes