No Bands in the AAC this season

So that only applies on the field? It’s ok to have the guy right behind you in the stands, but not 6 feet behind you on the field? Riiigght.

Spit valves need masks, too.

1 Like

With the DJ, goofy videos, stupid games, etc. you couldn’t hear the band anyway.

2 Likes

I have and there definitely is.
But not only that… The band is our must vocally energetic section at games and to be that loud takes a lot of projection from deep within the lungs. Lots and lots of shared air up there. Also, when you’re in band, you spend so much time with fellow band members they become like family. There is a tremendous about of close contact that no one in band even thinks about.

1 Like

CMON ! With 50% attendance, it will be EASY to sit our band in some section, 6 feet apart, and let them wail away during game…We dont NEED them at halftime or before game on the field…Our band will be somewhere in there playing when it counts…Now away games??
does not look promising…

2 Likes

I’d be very surprised if we have football with fans at this point. I’m still holding out hope for football with no fans but I kind of doubt it happens.

TJ,
I agree with you; season is looking less and less likely at this point. Even for an abbreviated season. But I’ve been wrong before and hopefully there will be a medical break through or the virus mutates again to a less infectious and deadly form.

I’d say season is 50:50 right now if things continue on present trend and no therapy/vaccine.

1 Like

If things continue on their current trend and we don’t get a vaccine or treatment, football season will be out of the question. I think there’s some hope for an abbreviated season if something dramatic changes and we immediately reverse trend, but I don’t see that as likely.

Keep in mind, the NFL cancelled the Hall of Fame Game today. The rest of the NFL Preseason will be on the chopping block soon. If the NFL isn’t playing, colleges absolutely won’t be.

3 Likes

Not so fast.

The NFL still expects an on time start for training camps.

Even those that were not in the band saw the movie with the flute.

You know this one time at band camp,.

1 Like

My big issue is people tying contact tracing to a magic pill to cure society of the virus. It is not.

Bringing it to the band, the school will not pay to test the members every day or two and pay for the same day results. Without near daily testing or member isolation, it will not prevent the spread completely. Unless it is complete prevention, the masses will shout and complain the school is not doing enough and is failing the students. Hence a no win situation - there is no reduced number that will make the masses and media happy.

I don’t have an issue with limiting some extracurricular activities. I think it is most important to get students in class at least on a part time (hybrid) basis. Band has limited appeal and I could see it being put on hold. Football on the other hand has a mental benefit far beyond just those playing the game, but helps all those that watch and follow to a minor extent.

Football benefits mental health of many, band only for a limited few. risk/return type situation

I sure hope we do since I bought my wife’s and my season tickets. I will wear a mask and social distance. 15 as likely attendance would be close to normal for us over the last few years. And the players will know that whoever is there are the people that have their backs.

I think the NFL is a bit more likely than college. Just different with athletes making millions vs. amateurs (and yes I know covid generally isn’t that bad for someone young and healthy).

If you are limiting capacity, can the bands spread out in a capacity limiting stadium.

They can sit equally in all four corners of TDECU…
Once again, UH will bring a “First” to college football…
Quadraphonic Sound !!!

6 Likes

Easy solutions. Have the band do a zoom session on the video board when they need to play. Problem solved.

2 Likes

The way everyone will be forced to penny pinch it’s hard for me to believe the band will comes to games unless they are counted as students.
If there is a season and fans are allowed in with social distancing we are going to need all the paying customers we can get.
From what I have seen from student participation that should be no problem

You could ask the same question about fans and where will they sit? So if band members are not welcome, how much of a stretch is it to imagine that there will be no fans in the stands?

I played trumpet and you are absolutely right. Brass instruments all have valves used to drain spit out.

1 Like

There will be at least 3, Red 80, me and my wife because we have our tickets and we are going to be there masks on if they are playing the games and will let us in. Make it 4 if Red brings his wife.

2 Likes