No football in the fall?

I think the logistics of playing football is sinking in on the AD’s and Presidents, you can spend the time and money on the mitigation IF you have a society that has the pandemic in check, that means TESTING & TRACING ratios to infected under control. We are one of the top 3 epicenters of this disease. If we play in a state that requires people from Texas to Quarantine 14 days how does that work?

2 Likes

It works like this there will be no football this year that’s what’s fixing to happen

2 Likes

I always thought football shouldn’t start until the end of September – it’s just too hot in the south before then. Heck, even in October it isn’t cool.

3 Likes

Regional conferences, 10 game season, expand the playoffs to 16 teams…safe and a financial windfall.

8 ten team conferences that are geographic in nature.

1 Like

Long term they really do need to get back to more regional conferences. I just don’t know how the momentum will wok to make that happen. The one that is the most screwed geo wise is the ACC.

2 Likes

In my humble opinion, Due to all the continuing Covid Virus unknowns, College Football will not be played before Fall 2021. Breaks my heart that the players, Coaches & support staffs, Radio/TV, reporters, Band/Cheer, hotels/restaurants, Students & fans who attend & watch will all have to miss one of life’s true treats. So hard to grasp the void that will be in our lives as a result of this terrible virus.

Fall fishing in Texas is outstanding. Looks like I’ll be doing a lot of it

7 Likes

Most college presidents do not welcome negative press about exposing student athletes to danger to maintain a budget.

1 Like

140,000 people are dead but you call it a Phantom Menace?

O, there are bilions and billions of dead people. Oh, wait, you mean from the virus! Never mind.

(Typed with my best SNL “Church Lady” imitation.)

1 Like

I think the phrase negative press is important. It is not about facts, but what the press deems the proper perspective or course of action.

ADs and Presidents need to judge facts on what is better for the athletes without agenda driven press or public perception guiding them. They need to decide if players are better protected in a controlled environment with regular practice, weekly testing, a limited access to who they are around. Versus not playing and the players will then have more time and desire to hang with friends (mostly the same players but also outside their sport) plus go to college parties and house parties. They need to run numbers to see what is really safer for the players, and not just go by media driven ideals.

With proper numbers on safety and a good communication plan they can do what is right for the student athletes best health and still maintain a good public image.

They should decide what is best for their students which ever option that is.

2 Likes

Student athletes in danger?? Please…Who’s in danger are the 60, 70, and 80 year old someones who go to the games…
We need to play…we’re playing…
I am certain every possible safety precaution will be used.

3 Likes

it certainly is a matter of opinion. Some would say it is necessary to close everything down but most likely that will tank our economy to the point that survivors (99%) will just be only that with a semblance of what the US once was. According to the data 0.04% of our population has died so far. Personally I am pulling for the other 99.06% that are surviving.
Deaths as a result of closing things down (food and medicine shortages for example) might just be more than those the virus kills

3 Likes

Germany closed down much more than we did and for a longer period of time and their unemployment ticked up less than 1%. This “can’t sacrifice the economy” excuse don’t hunt.

1 Like

I would not compare a country in Europe to the USA. There are so many differences. If you are going to compare two sampling bases then you must show they are similar. You know, the old apples versus apples thing

1 Like

Exactly! No doubt about your point on the differences when it comes to unemployment.

The systems are very different. They have significant restrictions that protect against mass layoffs. Many will argue Germany and EU restrictions also hurts them on regaining growth which the EU and Germany experienced coming out of the Great Recession for a good 1/2 decade. The opposite is true during times of COVID. There are plusses and minues. I finised a global deal in Jan with a large global manufacturer which included Germany and the EU. Our legal costs were probably 4 times for the EU and Germany vs the USA due to these regulations. It takes significant expertise and experience to navigate those regulations.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-30/germany-pays-workers-to-stay-home-to-avoid-mass-layoffs

Here is an example from 2019 with Deutsche Bank and their layoffs around the world vs Germany.

2 Likes

I can see this is a very emotional issue for you so I wont carry on a conversation that could get ugly. I will just say you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

1 Like

just needed to say one more thing. The most populous country in the world, China, has reported 4634 total deaths from coronavirus. If you believe that then perhaps that is why you believe we have 1/4 of the total world deaths.
Data can be very misleading and used for whatever purpose as previously pointed out by sarkcoog earlier.

2 Likes

No need to condescend but if caring about my neighbor and being a brother’s keeper by valuing human life makes me “emotional” then so be it. Enjoy your weekend.

1 Like

will do, except every day is a weekend day for me and I do enjoy them all.