No Loss AAC Champ will be in the CFP

I think some of you guys watch a lot of Infowars*

*comment not intended to be partisan, just conspiracy theory related.

1 Like

4 playoff spots
5 “Power” conferences

A G5 is not getting in and making two P5 champs left out. The P6 movement is nice but it has not elevated AAC to the same level. Until there is a real P6, I don’t see anyone outside the P5 getting in the CFP.

Unless the rankings are subjective - which they are. Are the rankings meaningless? No (preseason rankings being the exception). Do they accurately reflect reality? Almost impossible to tell, hence the need for some sort of inclusive playoff to be sure.

Yes but that doesn’t have to be an argument against 8 teams. It can be an argument for 8 teams that are ranked by rating systems that only use current season results.

1 Like

Shaggy’s right. We can bitch and moan all we like about the inequity of the system, but it is what it is.

I get the counter-arguments. Going undefeated is hard. And it isn’t UCF’s fault that they have to play the Sun Belt-level scrubs at the bottom of our league.

But UCF’s body of work in 2017 simply wasn’t strong enough to merit a CFP berth. If UCF had whacked Auburn like that in the regular season, we might be having a different conversation.

The only way a G5 would sniff the CFP is to start reasonably high in the polls, beat a couple of quality P5s, and hope for a little help.

Houston in 2016 could have been that team. We were in the top 10 early in the season, and we hammered two top 5 opponents. But we couldn’t get it done in our conference. Regardless of whose fault that was (thanks CTH), them’s the breaks.

5 Likes

I pulled this from Twitter awhile back.

5 Likes

Good post. The committee had to make a decision based on what they knew. And UCF had some shaky performances. And gave up a boat load points in AAC champ game. They whipped Auburn and deserve props. But their schedule was no where near what Bama faced. 2015 UH was a different story had they not tripped up. They beat ranked teams in regular season and badly.

1 Like

the disney bid for fox could change the landscape as they own 80% of espn

Southern Mississippi, Central Michigan, and Robert Morris (huh!?) have people on the committee. Ken Hatfield coached Rice for a time but he’s a P5 guy.

That’s 3 of 13 members. No way a non-P5 ever gets in to the invitational with a committee like this. It’s a joke, plain and simple.

You have to be in a Power5 conference to make the CFP. It’s not fair.

The problem is the committee is not picking the most deserving teams, they are trying to find who they think are the best teams. As far as I know there is no set criteria or rules in place for them. Bringing back the BCS system or adopting a similar one would be much better than the committee.

I don’t want to like this statement but it is true and I agree that no G5 will ever be invited to the ESPN / Alabama Invitational.

Since the P5 is all about their pocketbook, how long until teams with losses start throwing games toward the end of the season against undefeated conference mates to maximize CFP participation within their conference? I could see the B12 or PAC doing this, it is very important to get a team in there.

2 Likes

It’s all 6 of one, half dozen of another.
First we had polls, which was human opinion
Then the BCS which was a combo of polls and computers
Now we have a committee of humans using computer output to determine the best teams.

1 Like

Bama did not face jack as seen in the pic

I do not agree w/ the view that an undefeated UH team would not make the playoffs this year. It depends - but - if there are not 4 other undefeated P5 teams - I think we would.

My premise is that UH is not “normal” P5. We are respected - nationally - when we win. If we go undefeated - we will have been in the NEWS all year (we have Ed O. - it would be a huge story). Combine that - with the UCF joke last year - the respect that UH carries - we would make it. Because we are Houston. We underestimate what we have done - Our program has a legacy like NO OTHER G5 program.

5 Likes

No way Jose.

Even if UH was undefeated all year and ranked as high as #4 in the AP poll, we would still most likely be voted somewhere down around #10 in the current playoff rankings. That’s just the way it is.

2 Likes

<assuming they dont play each other. If so, insert other blue bloods>

if OU, Michigan, and Clemson are undefeated, a 1 loss Bama wins the SEC, and a 1 loss USC wins the PAC, do you really think we are top 5, much less in the playoff?

I want to believe that, but it’s hard to have that perspective because as a Coog fan of course I think we’re on another level than G5 teams. We are. I’m not sure everyone in our country knows that.

What makes any one of you think that a G5 Team will be invited to a cfp? I will add any cfp?
On what basis do you come up with a possible invite? Nothing and I mean nothing points for a G5 to get in. The P5’s “head masters” and the “governing” media is against it. How do I base my reasoning? No G5 Teams has been invited so far. All or most of the espn/fox cfp pundits herbsheet and others proclaimed there is not one G5 Team that will ever be deserving even in an 8 Teams cfp. Look it up. They said it live on tv this past season. It is obvious. Do the math with five so called power conferences. Do you think for a second that they would even consider an undefeated G5 Team over a one loss P5 in an eight Teams cfp? Some of you keep thinking that this is about sport. This is not.That is why you have P5’s and G5’s. They categorized us G5’s to kick us to the curb and give us the crumbs. How much clearer can this be? I love to dream and I am an optimist. My glass is always half full not half empty. You gotta stop hallucinating that it will happen. That is why we need to get into a P5 ASAP. We should aim for any P5. If we have to play in the ACC so be it. If we have to pay our way in so be it. If we have to play more games away so be it. That is also why every game that we play should be viewed at making a national statement. We gotta score the most points possible to a make a “media” statement. That is what sells tickets. That is what sells advertising. That is our way to a P5. Get the stadium full. Turn your back on scumlin when he shows up with total silence. That is going to get us noticed real quick. The attraction will be so big that a P5 will invite us. We are our own brand. There is not one G5 that compares to us. Let the Coogs roar.
EatemUp.