No Respect for the AAC in the Houston market

So, the UCF v Memphis game is listed as a 2:30 nationally televised slot on ABC. I check my Uverse guide to confirm, and it is showing Washington vs Oregon in that slot on ABC 13 Houston.

I then call ABC 13 to get a clarification stating that there is an American team in the Houston market and that this game has interest in this market for UH fans.

I was told straight up that they weren’t going with the American game, that the decision was already made and the person who made that decision can’t be reached and that there is nobody at the station available to discuss.

Hummm?

1 Like

Do not call and bother the poor people having to work weekends at a TV station. There’s a news staff and a bunch of technical ops people. They don’t make those decisions, they just execute what they’re told.

If it’s not on ABC then it’s on ESPN 2 or WatchESPN.

I am NOT disagreeing with your concerns or the idea that I’d rather watch UCF than Pac-12 games, but those people on shift don’t have anything to do with what network tells them.

Update: ABC national picked who watches the game.

Utterly ridiculous .

Did you think each local station picked it?

Email, tweet and call them.

No.

Feels like a big FU to AAC fans seeing as they extended just short of several of the AAC’s biggest markets. I wonder if they messed up the coloring tool or is there actually two small spots in Florida that will be showing the Washington Oregon game as well.

2 Likes

It’s on ESPN2

No doubt, they get a sliver of Texas but not Dallas or Houston. A sliver of Oklahoma but not Tulsa. Looks like they cut it off just miles from Cincy. Just short of Philly. Looks like they even skirted around Annapolis MD, by a few miles.

And I’m sure they’ll hold ratings against the American, even though they don’t show the game over the air in its biggest cities.

Is there some huge continent of Oregon and Washington fans in these cities we’re unaware of?

1 Like

This image makes it even more clear that ABC/ESPN specifically excluded most AAC markets from getting this game over the air.

1 Like

My only guess is since Wash / Oregon is 7vs 17 they justified showing that to the majority of the country as opposed to UCF #10 vs a non-ranked Memphis team. Who knows what specifics the contract states with the Pac-12.

Looks like they excluded about half. It is interesting how close to the line they got with DFW, Houston, Tulsa, Baltimore, and Philadelphia.

From looking at the two tone map, it would seem that ABC got the AAC confused with the SEC.

1 Like

This is why I’m not marking our road games against Navy and Memphis as easy wins.

Memphis looking strong. The best thing for UH is UCF stays highly ranked and they make it to the title game. The best thing for America is UCF loses and they can finally shut up.

And hang another AAC loss on Memphis to help out UH’s pursuit of AAC West spot in Championship

1 Like

The best thing for the AAC is the highest ranked team loses to an unranked team?

America…the country

[Edit: I am not saying I agree but that was the meaning I read]

We have it on ESPN2