Noble

Will take over for Berkman as head coach at Second Baptist per Chron.

2 Likes

Hmmmmm…wonder if we take a chance on Lance…

https://twitter.com/markbermanfox26/status/1136756074491600897?s=21

https://twitter.com/sbs_athletics/status/1136653691535183872?s=21

https://twitter.com/markbermanfox26/status/1136791408751390725?s=21

Lance would be a good fit as hitting coach/recruiter. He was burned by Rice and might enjoy sticking it to them by having success here. Im sure he has been contacted and could be a reason behind his sudden departure.

3 Likes

Doubt very serious Berkman would be interested in being a hitting coach/recruiter with his background and credentials…BUT…that would be incredible if he did

3 Likes

Speaking of Noble, I always thought very highly of him while he was here. In fact, I still think highly of him. Some of the most successful teams we ever had here were coached by RN.
Towards the end of his stay here it was becoming evident that recruiting was dropping off and that Rice was leap years ahead of us.
Still, while RN was an old school coach, he left a lot of great memories…tough super regional losses to eventual national champs Rice and Texas certainly hurt.
But the toughest loss to swallow was losing at home in the Supers against San Jose…mercy, it still gets to me when I think about it.
But Noble leaves behind a legacy at UH like none other. Glad he got the high school gig…

9 Likes

His record speaks for itself, Coog through and through. I remember at the end the one kids dad had the War and Peace novel blog that was out for Nobles head.

2 Likes

Not sure if Rice burned him or he burned Rice. Berkman appeared to have been lobbying for a job that his former coach still occupied. Maybe Berkman was the fall guy for Rice wanting to can a legendary coach.

3 Likes

He was demonstrably less qualified to be the head coach at Rice than the guy they hired.

Lance barely had the work ethic to be a high school coach at a school that was pretty plug and play. SBS has always been really tough in baseball. He would be Clyde Drexler levels of bad, especially at a place like Rice that is a hard place to win (despite how easy the old man made it look for many years).

On the flip side I am thrilled for Coach Noble. Regardless of how the last few years went, his body of work at UH is incredible and I think those young men are lucky to have him.

3 Likes

i graduated from SBS in 2012, that was Noble’s first year with the program. He was basically a volunteer assistant coach and honestly i loved having him around. he was always making us laugh and giving us great insight. super happy to see my high school give him the job! tough love for sure kinda guy but I’ve always enjoyed those coaches

2 Likes

That statement by Lance looks bad on a lot of levels to me. Showed what we all knew about the rice situation, and didn’t exactly give a glowing review of his current job. I mean we all knew Lance didn’t need the money, but come on.

2 Likes