Non Conference Scheduling

I would take any of those three. Duke and UNC would be nice also.

Hopefully we start seeing a domino effect happen where more “big name” teams sign home and home with us. I think consistently having a strong NET ranking each year will help us with eventually scheduling a couple blue bloods here and there like Duke, Carolina, Kansas or Kentucky.

1 Like

Sampson has stated that he will not talk to teams that will not come to our place to play !!

He is da man :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Hunnid :heavy_check_mark:

1 Like

on a side note. We should have Big Banners of our 5 Final Fours and 5 Retired Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters. We should display our Proud History of Houston Basketball in a more prominent location in my opinion

2 Likes

A two time national championship program begs to differ.

I’d seriously love to see State and UH play home and home. I think Coach Sampson’s connections with Tony Bennett are probably the best clue to who UH is trying to schedule. They are on a very short list of teams that are as physical as the Coogs.

1 Like

How could no one on the thread not think of NC State??! We should schedule them every year…

2 Likes

Bec NCST is not considered a "power school " in ACC in last 10 yrs . CKS described it as “power school” n most would agree they don’t fall into that category in recent history. Even Valvano teams weren’t in elite category. ‘83’ team was 8 or 9 seed that won Ship!. Now David Thompson era in 72-74 or so were elite.

1 Like

This would eliminate, Duke. Pussies.

That particular team had lots of injuries that all healed up just at the right time. Obviously, they were much, much better than a 8 or 9 seed.

State was a 6 seed in ‘83. That team beat UVA with Ralph Sampson twice and UNC-CHeat with Jordan and Perkins twice as well. We also lost at Louisville by 4. Almost all of our losses were while Whittenburg was out with his broken foot.

Valvano made the Elite 8 two more times over the next 5-6 years. He was 11-7 against Coach K so those teams were nationally relevant for a good stretch. Everett Case brought big time basketball to what became the ACC when he showed up at State so the entire history of ACC basketball started there.

I won’t go into the castration of the Athletic Department at State by the UNC Board of Trustees in the 90’s but I will say that we have only recently gotten out from under all of the damage that was done. UH fans have no clue what it’s like to have your university run by a board dominated by your rival.

5 Likes

I’d like to read about that. Is there an abbreviated account anywhere?

1 Like

oh please, we do not want that…

I wonder if we get a home and home, this would be the premier game (OOC) next season at home. Crossing my fingers it’s North Carolina. But will settle for Syracuse, Virginia or Louisville.

I still feel this team is s conference mate…not just ACC team…

Summary of some of the punishment NC State got from the UNC BOG

Since you asked for it. Also a UNC-CHeat Alum was installed as the AD at NC State. There was a UNC scandal thread on this board that followed a lot of the academic fraud scandal as it unfolded. I will go back and add a few things to that thread if I can find it. I’m so worked up now after reading some of the stuff again that I’ve got to go to the gym for a while so I won’t get to that until I’m watching the playoffs this afternoon.

1 Like

I’m assuming your state legislature has always been tilted to UNC grads too?

UAB is in an even more horrible situation re: Bama.

1 Like

The UAB situation is more like the relationship between UH and UHCL. Imagine if Bama controlled Auburn or UT controlled A&M.

I haven’t lived in the Carolinas in 35 years so I really can’t speak to the legislature, but most of the lawyers in NC graduated from Cheater Hill years ago.

I wasn’t comparing NCST w UAB stature wise. Just in the fact that politicos keep them from generating resources to compete. They have some kind of combined BOD situation in ALA.

1 Like

I think we will see come March, what impact OOC scheduling has on tournament seeding. It is still really bizarre what a disparity there is in NET Ranking, RPI, and Sagarin/KenPom. UH is 5 in Net Ranking, 14 in RPI, and still 30+ in the other two ratings. #14 seems fair to me given UH’s current body of work. It SEEMS to me that the OOC schedule is what is holding the ranking down.

This site Bracketology 2023: Odds To Make The NCAA Tournament predicts a 13-5 conference record and ultimately a #4 seed which I think any of us would have taken in a heartbeat at the start of the season. By Sagarin rating, UH will only be an underdog at UCF and Cincy the rest of the year. UCF does not scare me, but I could definitely see Cincy and the road games at UConn and Tulsa being difficult.

2 Likes