Non-UH Basketball Talk - Week of 2/8

A little 4 PM Central action today on ESPN2 with SMU at East Carolina:

I cant believe we lost to ECU…

this game is hard to watch.

1 Like

Sometimes the stars align.

Unfortunately for us, it happened twice this year.

ECU had an early 10-pt lead and lost it quickly. ECU has gone back to chunking up bricks from outside.

Other games of interest possibly for tonight:

(1) Gonzaga @ BYU 10 PM (ESPN)
(4) Ohio St @ Maryland 8 PM (FS1)
(23) Ok State @ Kansas 8 PM (ESPN)

1 Like

the smu ecu halftime show in a few minutes will have a section dedicated to debating if houston is battle tested enough…they just gave a halftime preview

ecu offense is terrible when you arent giving open shots

1 Like

I am wondering which Coogfans experts will be on the panel…

7 Likes

No ECU 3 pointers in first half. How many in UH game in first half? I know it was 11 overall…unbelievable.

I like the Elvin highlight during the discussion.

I don’t think ECU is getting to 80 today against SMU

ecu is 1 of 21 from 3 since it played houston

2 Likes

Must be saving their bullets for round 2 lol

5 Likes

So my take away from the watching the last three ECU games is that if they could shoot a respectable % from 3pt shooting team (say 36%) with consistency they’d probably be a tourney team.

Edit: Tourney team might be a stretch but definitely a T-5 team in the league.

1 Like

Put any kind of perimeter game with Gardner and it will be a challenge for any team. I think the announcers mentioned that a consistent outside shooter(s) would make ECU dangerous. I wonder if Gardner comes back.

1 Like

I hope he does. He’s stayed this long he may as well play one more and finish his degree. Plus I imagine he’s marching up the ECU record books. Probably has a chance to be one of their greatest players.

pro? no… transfer portal? maybe

1 Like

He’ll have better options but I just checked the ECU wiki page. He’d have a good chance to be 1st in career points and rebounds. I know that doesn’t have a monetary value but it’d be pretty cool to see.

SMU win recap. The two teams went a combined 6-36 from 3. U-G-L-Y

Interesting that we improved our position as #6 in KenPom after the SMU/ECU game, moving closer to the 5th spot. I assume the margin of SMU’s victory and the fact we’ve beaten them twice overrides the negativity of our loss to ECU

Added comment: So the announcers are once again whining about the “blue bloods” not winning big because of the lack of crowds and homecourt advantage. Isn’t everyone under the same conditions?

7 Likes