Not a fan of Ed Oliver article on ESPN

I was ready to say some of you guys are overreacting before reading the quote, but after reading it, his comment is a bit disappointing. I don’t think his comment was really meant to be “Man, I really regret coming to UH” at all, especially given the rest of the interview. But there was probably a better way to reference LSU without making it look like he was throwing his school under the bus. But he’s still a young guy and a great rep for our school regardless.

ED is getting all the attention right now and rightfully so, let’s remember however there are other fantastic young men and women who wear UH colors with pride. Go Coogs!

i get what he is saying, i just wish he had used better word choice…

his point was i loved and grew up on LSU but i love my brother more and hoped to play with him…

thats perfectly fine.

the word choice of “he hates that he didn’t go there” is what makes the whole thing look bad on us, as that makes it seem like he questions his decision, and saw it as maybe a bad decison, which i dont think was the point of his statement, especially if you read the whole thing in context, with the “i cant be in 2 places” line

that one line will be used against us in recruiting (without ther context)…some lsu homer already tagged every elite recruit in the area with those quotes about ED regretting they didnt pick lsu…

had he said “a part of me still loves LSU” instead i wouldn’t have had an issue wit this article at all… you support/love whatever you lover/support

5 Likes

For clarification, he actually doesn’t use the word “regret”. He says that he hates that he didn’t go there.

1 Like

Maybe focus more on the genius that was Levine recruiting! UH was not my first choice so I could have easily been quoted as saying: “if I could have afforded it, I would have gone to the University of Dallas for their 5yr MBA program.”

That being said, I love my alma mater and am very proud of it. Everyone has their own reasons for choosing their school and we can hope that EO leaves UH being proud to have put on for the city and continue to be an ambassador for UH during his NFL career. Keep in mind he is still young.

And take comfort you are not a LSU supporter because your staff could not convince Oliver to commit to a school he loved and you missed out on a stud!

Go Coogs!

thanks i fixed it…but that actually adds to my point, that they will use it out of context…major sites are using the word “regret” to retell his quotes (which is were i got it from)

https://247sports.com/Article/Houston-star-defensive-tackle-Ed-Oliver-still-feels-regret-over-not-picking-LSU-Tigers-120524482/

1 Like

Ed’s first choice was LSU. He was set on going and playing at LSU but chose to play with Marcus. He turned down his dream school and I can totally respect that he still has an itch of what could have been if he had gone with LSU. Did it possibly come out wrong or could it be taken the wrong way? Yes, but at the end of the day he has embraced UH. Can’t blame the guy for feeling this way, hes still giving UH his all and is hoping to leave UH in a better place than he found it.

2 Likes

Bbbbbbb BINGO!

I think everyone is looking at this wrong, Ed said this to correct the record. Most people from a national perspective attribute Ed going to UH as a huge recruiting coupe by Tom Herman. Because of Ed, Herman got pegged as a master recruiter who was the only coach to get a 5Star athlete to go to a G5. This is Ed’s way of saying, it wasn’t Herman that got him to go to UH.

4 Likes

but he praises the old coaching staff in the same interview

he doesnt discredit hermans role, but amplified his brothers, while saying parts of him sometimes wishes he went to a different school…

this article will not be used to discredit Herman, it will be used to discredit UH…Ed is the highest rated recruit to come to UH ever, highest ever in a non-p5…he symbolized that it is perfectly okay to come to a school like houston as a 5star. there are now tons of websites covering this story saying he has regrets coming here (and 99% of people wont look into it to see the context) …

i already know this is going to be used against us in recruiting for a few years… ive already seen a few posts about “this is why 5stars shouldn’t go to a school like houston”

3 Likes

When he gets drafted top five next year, I doubt anyone will see it as a negative to UH.

1 Like

I am not sure everyone read the article, it is very positive about Houston and UH. He threw some shade at Herman but it was positive about UH. All he said was he grew up being a LSU fan. OK, great he choose UH and he doesn’t regret the decision.

3 Likes

The article itself is not damning, but the sports press headlines are. Ed is young and obviously self-assured. Maybe later humble comes, but nevermind. Love that he is here. Love that he chose use. Dislike that the headline is everywhere now.

2 Likes

the 3rd ward around UH is being redeveloped and is gentrifying and the students can hop a train and be in downtown in about 5 minutes.

1 Like

LSU finally has some ammo to win recruiting battles against UH, after all these years of playing second fiddle! Laissez les bon temps roulez!

4 Likes

What is wrong with what he said?

“When you picked the Cougars, you said that people who criticized you would realize that you made the right choice. Do you consider playing for Houston a badge of pride?
After Houston beat Florida State to win the Peach Bowl [in 2015], people shut up. Then we came back and beat [No. 3] Oklahoma the next season, and I didn’t hear nothing from nobody. For about six games, it was crickets. Then we lost to Navy. A handful of people then said I made the wrong decision. They might not like the decision, but they know I didn’t make the wrong one.”

3 Likes

Y’all complaining about why Ed chose us is like complaining that you won the lotto via quick picks instead of numbers you chose on your own. C’mon. In the end it doesn’t matter. He’s here. End of story.

10 Likes

All his pictures and press have Houston across his chest.

5 Likes

I don’t think you guys are getting the issue… No one has an issue with what he meant… just the word choice

There are numerous articles now saying he regrets Houston (using his quotes out of context) …
This isn’t going to be a national story but this will definitely be used against us in recruiting…you think too kindly of opposing coaches and fans if you don’t think otherwise

Literally a LSU fan linked this article to EVERY major recruit in the area about regretting not picking Houston… This is ammo for them against us

1 Like

Is there anyone on this board who didn’t already know this was the case?

The reason we landed Ed was Marcus. End of story. Not Herman. Not the new stadium. It was family.

And I have no problem with it. Our facilities, school, staff and university commitment to the program were good enough for UH not to lose him…and the way it turned out…he was allowed to excel enough to be considered the best player he could be, or anyone can be, in football while at UH.

Nobody believed this possible 3 years ago. He probably had lots of folks telling him going to UH would cost him money down the line. Codswallop to that argument now. Going to UH set him apart from other P5 5* recruits. It was an instant and continuing story and clearly helped him get to where he is now.

2 Likes