Not sure if this is new.........but BOOM! - J'Wan Roberts (Update: Signed)

Wait til you see this kid taking rebounds of the shot at Fertitta Center.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TexasHoopsTV/status/1080918567883698177

1 Like

Unless he has some type of a perimeter game, he looks like a 6’7 center who can rebound, play defense and give you energy off the bench; ala smaller version of Gresham.

1 Like

CKS is moving towards positionless (or versatile) basketball players. Larry Brown’s SMU teams kind of invented it, but things fell apart for him. CKS is looking to see if he can master it.

2 Likes

It is not a secret formula. John Wooden’s 1963–64 undefeated national championship team at
UCLA had their big man Fred Slaughter at center. He was 6’5" and the Bruins out rebounded virtually everyone they played. It was all about tenacious defense and the running game.

Yep, it fell apart for him at all college stops he made for the same reason.

2 Likes

We’ll now have Roberts and Gorham, both 6-7 leapers. Include returners 6-7 Gresham, 6-6 Hinton, 6-5 Alley, 6-5 Jarreau and it’s a potentially interesting line up.

3 Likes

Don’t forget Fabian at 6’7”. He’ll be a starter next year

2 Likes

I’m also curious about the two 6-3 guards he has coming in, Mills and Sasser. And don’t forget 6-3 Brooks. I’m sure that CKS isn’t finished with next year’s class. Exciting days are ahead.

2 Likes

There are two open spots for next year. I assume they’ll add at least one more in the spring. The last two years, Sampson has brought in graduate-transfers. I like that idea as it allows you to fill-in depth without committing scholarships to future classes (particularly given the team’s recent success, the new arena, and the strength of the area’s ‘20 and ‘21 HS classes). With Davis and Robinson leaving (and the 70 mins per game they play) the team could another point or combo guard for next year.

1 Like

I think Fabian will be back in the starting lineup this year. Coach said the starting lineup won’t change until we lose a game.

Reality is that with this team, the starting lineup is just that…the starting lineup…nothing more.

4 Likes

Exactly. The depth is so good and we have so many different weapons that CKS can mix and match to find what’s effective each game.

3 Likes

Yes, with experience

I agreed with all y’all points but having some type of height in the middle never hurts when you step up in weight class.

1 Like

Gresham is more like 6’9

https://twitter.com/killeenisd_/status/1098273878202347521?s=21

1 Like

The only true expression of a commitment to a program is the signature.

The future is looking brighter. Go Coogs!!

Don’t forget about 6’10 Harris, guys.

Been looking at some of J’Wan Roberts’ game articles.

I thought he was more of rebounding forward. Turns out, he’s more of a scorer. Hit five threes one game. So a small forward I guess?

His rebounding totals were pretty average in the games I read about. Five, six and three. Pretty sure he’ll need to work on that if he wants to play for Sampson.

2 Likes