Not worried about CTH

Dustin… why wouldnt he shoot down the rumors?

Or accept a far more lucrative offer that’s on the table? Because he could make a bit more?

Rumors are rumors and what the donors at UT want may not be what the administration wants. Fenves wants to keep Strong badly and will do what he can to keep him. They win next week against Kansas and against TCU, two very winnable games, they’ll be 7-5 which many said was the mark he needed to reach.

Yesterday, they lost a game against a ranked opponent in which they found out that a player’s father had to be transported to the ICU immediately before the game. They are also an extremely young team with a number of starters that are Freshmen/Sophomores.

Just going off what Chip Brown put out recently (I know, I know…:cold_sweat:), the big push for Herman is coming from a number of DFW donors. He also said that if Strong can finish 7-5 without getting embarrassed (prior to the Tech win), then Fenves/Perrin will fight to keep Strong. Supposedly, the Houston donors want UT to look at Fleck and Fuente (although the shine is probably off the latter after yesterday).

My guess is that Herman stays, as I stated above, as I don’t think any prime jobs will be open and he’s got another solid class coming in with some solid players in place. If he does leave for UT, my stance is that we should turn around and hire Charlie and his staff. They’ve got the recruiting ties already and the players at UT love him which means the recruits probably do as well. If we need an OC, go look at the guy at SHSU, Phil Longo.

So most think that Herman will only stay if UT keeping strong, Lsu with Ed, and USC with Helton. If UT/Lsu/USC come out losing early next yr, rumors will start all over again. No thanks.

Well, we can always rehire Tony Levine; never had rumors while he was here.

6 Likes

Rumors that cost us games (uconn and smu). And if ur ok with paying 3M (possible 4M to keep him next yr) for a coach that can’t win a G5 conference, more power to u.

Rumors don’t cost us games. Obviously, what leads to bad play is evident look at the facts.

I’m just not convinced that “rumors” caused those losses.

With SMU, I think that in addition the fatigue and injuries, the team had lost some of its focus because of the Navy loss and the expansion stuff. Even though they talk “1-0”, it’s naive to believe that they didn’t have their eyes on a bigger prize and suffered a letdown when that was lost.

This team is just not as good (mentally or physically) as last year’s, from what I’ve seen. They’re still good enough to put it together and beat anyone they play, but I don’t think they all play with that confidence and purpose, and the offensive play calling makes it worse.

1 Like

You want a winning coach, you have to deal with the rumors. Nick Saban had rumors a few years ago about going to UT. Harbaugh has rumors about him going back to the NFL. Meyer had rumors about him going to Notre Dame when he was at Florida. If you want winning football, you have to take the rumors no matter who the coach is.

The days of Bill Yeoman are long gone.

3 Likes

Right, and they all quash the rumors. Our coach dances around it and gives non-answers in order to “not lie”, as if we’re that stupid.

If CTH decides to go, I’m not the least bit worried. I’m sure there is a long list of coaches (stepping stone guys and long term investments) that would be salivating at the possibility of coaching here. The administration has stepped up to the plate, big-time…and trust me, the rest of the college football coaching world has recognized it. We will have a hugely bright future no matter who is at the reins.

No they don’t. Saban was rumored to have initiated contact with Texas and only turned the job down after Alabama ponied up a ton of money in the offseason.

Meyer said that he would have a hard time turning down Notre Dame again in 2009 while still the UF coach.

Harbaugh to NFL rumors just came out this week and he has made no statement.

This is big business for these guys and head coaching salaries are continuously being raised because of it. They aren’t going to turn off the faucet when there’s more money out there. And the rumors generate clicks which is why the media loves to report every rumor or even create some when it comes to this stuff.

My point again goes back to the fact that for 3 years, from 2012-2014, we didn’t have to deal with any rumors. Would any of you trade last year’s Peach Bowl season and our 21-3 record since then to go back to The Tony Levine era?

5 Likes

People can say that the small12 snub had no impact. I call 100% bs on that one.
You tell me that Coaches, players and CTH should know better. Ok, but when you are told that you have no chance to play for the big salad bowl it starts playing with your neurons.
I am convinced without a doubt that it did affect our entire organization. The leading weeks prior and after the announcement are not a coincidence. It killed our momentum on all levels. Our offense and defense could not perform. We are still a shadow of what we were a few months ago. You don’t think it is a coincidence?

1 Like

Saban just lies. If you can get an up and comer, like Herman, to agree to a big buyout, you’re in much better shape. Even then, we see what happened to McElvain at Colorado State. He had a $7M buyout but UF still took him. At least CSU got $7M but they aren’t thriving at this point.

Glad to see this thread turn into a great conversation. GoCoogs

1 Like

Because he has an announced policy that he doesn’t comment publicly about this stuff and he sticks to it. It’s really very simple to understand if you just listen to what the man has said and take him at his word. That doesn’t mean he won’t take another job in the next couple of years. It just means that when/if he does, he won’t have just denied it a week earlier.

1 Like

You do realize that he won the conference championship just last year, right? I don’t know if he’ll be here next year or if those losses were due to rumors. But to complain about paying $3-4 million “for a coach who can’t win a G5 conference” when he just won the conference and a NY6 bowl LAST YEAR is stupid. And if we’re only going to be happy with a coach who wins the conference every year, well then, I guess we’ll never be happy.

7 Likes

Well said, 2002. On the one hand I can understand frustrations with the frequency this coaching carouselle has affected our progress. But to criticize a coach who has had unprecedented success for our program, our university, its alumni, students and even the city is IMO, ridiculous.

Even if we were a P5 school, we couldn’t rely on any coach to turn down an opportunity like LSU, UT, USC, etc. CTH had us in the CFP conversations after one win this year. After one year! How many P5 schools were in the running for that? With every win last year every talking head on TV was forecasting where CTH would go. Realists. It’s the coaching profession – it’s a business.

I don’t think we could ask for better negotiators than TF and RK. Let’s hope for the best. I hope he stays.

2 Likes

Good point on Saban. In fact, Saban flat out lied. When with the Dolphins he said there was absolutely no truth to the rumors of going to Alabama. Short time later he was gone. He also denied vehemently rumors of leaving college to take the Dolphins job. So I would rather him be quiet than lie…