Now that's a sweet win!

The team played with a higher level of effort last night. If they can maintain that gear, they may win that coveted first round match up.

I sincerly hope Rob gets out of his shooting funk before the big tourney starts. We’re going to need his scoring. Also, can we make some freaking free throws please?!?

Those are my only gripes from last night. Just a tremendous defensive effort. Corey and Devin were so good last night. So proud of this team for overcoming a bad offensive night and a billion terrible calls with sheer effort and determination. We are going to be a tough out for whoever we see in the tourney. Can’t wait!

How about Shorty Lawson. Over 40 years ago. “Accidentally spilled” a cup of Coke on him going up the tunnel after a screw job on UH.

I sure do. I met him back then while working at Hofheinz. Seemed like a nice guy
but he was a terrible ref.

Most of you won’t remember them but this team reminds me of Drake back in the late 70’s that had no starter over 6’5" and made it to the third round of the tourney. They hustled for every lose ball and out rebounded bigger teams. Rob summed this team up well when he hits his heart. We may lose but we will rarely get out hustled.

WIth Zana, White, D.Davis, Brady, etc. I don’t think of this team as a small team, especially when we light up against a team like Cincy. This is the biggest UH team I have ever seen (I was 4 years old when PSJ played their last game).

We usually don’t go big because we’re playing smaller teams, but this team has size.

It was the white ref in particular. All the calls from the other two seemed pretty legit but when added to the really bad calls, they were hard to take.

I think Zanna has gotten a reputation for making bad fouls, definitely had a bad reach in, in the first half. His blocking foul and the one where he got the rebound, got hacked and then got a foul reaching for the loose ball was outrageous. I thought RGII was going to get a tech arguing that one.

1 Like

It appeared to me that Cincinnati was about 3 inches taller than UH at every position. UH doesn’t have that much size.

Back in 1972-73, Louis Dunbar played some point guard & the shortest player on the floor was often 6’ 4" tall.

Louis Dunbar - 6’ 9"
Dwight Jones - 6’ 10"
Maurice Presley - 6’ 10"
Sidney Edwards - 6’ 9"
Steve Newsome - 6’ 8"
David Marrs - 6’ 8"
Jerry Bonney - 6’ 4"

Note: my wife’s favorite player on that team was Donnell Hayes @ 6’ 2" & quick as a hiccup

2 Likes

Insanely talented grioup but if they had half the heart of this team UH would have a couple of more Final Four banners. Those years kind of went up in smoke if you know what I mean.

1 Like

It’s good to include weights though. I feel a 6-6, 240 lb guy with hops can defend and out rebound a 6-10, 230 lb if he uses proper block out techniques. I’ll take a Louis Truscott over an Anwar Ferguson any day.

If the 80’s team had the heart of this year’s team or even Pender’s last squad, we might have had a championship banner.

Questioning the “heart” of 3 teams that went a combined 89-16 and went to 3 straight Final Fours is ridiculous. They had 1 off night vs NC State. They did not lack heart. Did you watch the Louisville game? Does a team lacking heart come back from double digits down to crush a legitimately elite title contender? No disrespect but this team doesn’t have any more “heart” than Guy V’s best.

5 Likes

He called four of the five fouls on Akeem that game. I always found it interesting that Akeem was always getting into foul trouble in SWC games but in the NCAA tournament was never in foul trouble until the Nat’l Championship game and we have an SWC ref calling the game.

2 Likes

BACK IN AKEEMS DAY AND REF ONCE TOLD ME AFTER A CALL ON
HIM THAT HE THOUGT IT HAD TO BE A FOUL CAUSE HE HAD NEVER
SEEN ANYONE DO WHAT AKEEM COULD DO.

2 Likes

Rob has been in a shooting funk lately and has forced a lot of shots, but
 he was money at the end of that game !

1 Like