Offensive Coordinator Candidates

First…I watched Patriot Miami game Monday night and Collingsworth said”The only stat Belichick cares about is scoring defense, he doesn’t count yards”.
At the end of the day, we count points. Do I understand your point about yards? Yes totally, it eats clock, flips field position etc.
Tulsa…they had 93 yards in 1st half and scored on a 1 yard drive due Postma int. 2nd half 6 yard drive Postma int, 70 yard score on Davis retarded play letting guy go before whistle and another 7 on Postma fumble return for TD at end game. So…basically 28 of 45 Tulsa points had nothing to do with the DC. Could he have held them to FG from 6? Maybe.
Tulane…gave up 20 points…the Offense scored 17 vs both of these teams which had bad defenses.
Re RZ defense…UH allow 50% TD…that was I think #18 tank and includes 2 Tulsa TDS mention above.
The defense faced the following top 10 scoring offenses…Memphis, USF, SMU and Arizona.
Our offense faced some of the worst defenses in country week in and week out.
I saw Temple game…This goes to other thread where you talk about DT depth…we had none. Carter was out. Ed only played first quarter and got hurt. Fleming had play and got driven off balll regularly. Also had int called back due to holding on IJ who wasn’t near ball. Also couldn’t run out clock again as usual and D had come back on field and play prevent last minute. The offense I believe scored no 2nd half points after 20-0 at half.

3 Likes

That’s one person, and one philosophy. What does that have to do with the DC giving away the game with his predicable prevent D? I don’t care about any of that to be honest. When the game is on the line late and opposing OC’s know from looking at film that he will play soft, that is a problem. We can talk about scoring defenses and total defenses all day, stats don’t tell the entire story. I’m not a numbers guy. I’m a results guy, and the DC is a part of the problem. Watch the bowl game and tell me what happens with the scheme. The DC most likely will start with the CB’s 10 yards off, and rush only 3.

Points are results. You have more than your opponent, you win.

3 Likes

And you believe that? So if he’s watching film looking for tendencies and he sees a run play that consistently gets 10 yards against one defense and no yards against another, that he doesn’t care which defense to run because the play generally doesn’t score? After all, yards don’t matter

I think you are missing the context.

2 Likes

For those that wonder why Opponent Points Per Game (OPPG) is a better marker than Total Defense I will give you a great NFL example
In 2013 Houston Texans had the seventh best total defense in the league. They were giving up only 1 yard more per game than the #5 team and the #8 team gave up 15 yards per game more than the Texans.
However, the Texans had the 25th most points given up per game.
This is in part due to the fact that we were dead last in turnovers per game. So every yard we gave up gave up points. So it didn’t matter that we gave up less yards, we gave up more points.
Remember, score is what matters at the end of the game.

2 Likes

Okay

Your first post in this thread…

How about your second post…

Oh this one… where you talk about the NUMBER of points scored in a game.

Is that where you talk about scheme and not numbers? or is this where you extrapolated that the CMD can’t handle the Memphis offense based on the number of points scored in the game?

In my view, it is apples to apples. Everyone is arguing the merit of coordinators and their schemes, regardless of which side of the ball.

Just to make sure I am following you, you say the CMD was a terrible coordinator because you don’t like the containment D vs the attacking D of CTO. Fair enough. That is a subjective argument, but you have a right to your preference.

You like CBJ, because it isn’t his fault the QB didn’t execute and threw picks.

I think you are wrong about CMD and CBJ, and you are doing a terrible job of proving your point. I am happy CBJ is gone (good for him he has a spot in Florida coaching), and I am happy CMD was retained.

Edit: I actually agree with you that Edenfield would be a good hire.

3 Likes

Hot damn, I believe this marriage has been saved:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

How about offenses that frequently turn the ball over and can’t sustain drives? This gives the other teams offense a short field to work with. And That’s a critical component of the “points scored argument” which is missing from your post.

A combination of either metric and the eye test works for me. I personally was satisfied with our D especially compared to the offenses we played. With that being said, I place our worst losses to Tulane and Tulsa On the offense and therefore not sad to BJ leave - hoping the next OC is better than the devil I know.

3 Likes

Hey guys, can we get thread back to talking about offensive coordinators and the OP?

Thanks!

1 Like

I can start a thread about the defensive coordinator and then we can move the possible OC discussion there.

9 Likes

Exactly. :sunglasses:

Touche. I was suggesting the results of scheme from a meticulous standpoint, not point outcomes(never was my argument, that was Manster and Cary’s). Again, If I’m an OC is going against CMD and I know he will run soft coverage and rush 3, then I know for a fact how to attack the defense. I’m not arguing the importance of scoring defense or total defense, I’m suggesting that this is a flaw within his scheme(I can’t make that any clearer ). Now ask yourselves (mainly Manster and Cary), are you one of the fans that think we could beat a team with an offensive chess master as a head coach, or even an OC? Do you really think running soft zone (with DBs 10 yards off of the ball) would beat Lincoln Riley, Dana Holgerson, Dave Aranda, or even Joe Moorehead? These are elite play-callers that would beat us on knowledge of the game alone. The scary part is Fresno State is no slouch and they have an entire season of CMD doing the same soft zone coverage. Let’s hope they’re not half as smart as Willie Fritz.

lol You’re wasting your time. They’re slaves to the numbers and refuse to see how those numbers were even possible to begin with. It’s as if at the start of each game, each team is awarded their respective season average on the scoreboard. No need to develop a gameplan, scheme, or play ball. haha

What games did the DC give away?

TT was lost because the offense couldn’t do anything till TT prevent late. Had 5 turnovers.
The big plays vs UH defense in 2nd half were not vs soft coverage. 2 were run plays…one were CMD run blitzed TT inside their own 10. The other was a run to boundary where Hines and Adamd ran into each other and Davis whiffed on tackle…should have been 10 yard gain at worst. And Davis blew a pass coverage, let Coutee loose on go route.

Memphis was not lost due to soft coverage. many of the big plays were vs man with 5 man pressure…Ferguson did good job avoiding sacks. As mentioned earlier we had 2 defense pass interference calls…Kahlil in man on 3rd down and Myers at goaline. Also got beat deep on a one man route when CMD had them in cover 3. Got behind Myers and Terrell and Terrell added facemark on end play. Not just scheme. there is a misconception that CMD played one scheme in first half and a different one in 2nd…thats false. Memphis actually scores a lot of points if you haven’t noticed.

Tulsa already explained above…if you can’t understand that I can’t help. The offense scored 17 vs at time worst run defense in America. Lack of depth showed here again in 100 degree heat…Fleming again liability in middle…other than Davis letting WR go, 2nd half yards came on ground, not vs prevent you mention.

Tulane…obviously gave up late TD…but that play never shpild have gone for TD. we had safeties there that didn’t tackle. The D gave up 20 points. The offense scored 10 points on 4 RZ trips and didn’t get a TD until defense gave them the ball at Tulane 23 on int.

So what games did D give away? One could also argue that the D saved Arizona and kept USF winnable by holding them under 30 points for first time in 30 games, correct?
Your argument doesn’t hold water…your a results guy right? So when CTO aggressive D you love gave up the lead twice in 4th qtr vs Memphis 2016, what was the result? A loss, same as vs CMD D you don’t like.

The D held every team except Tulsa…which had some extenuating circumstances, below their season avg. Many by significant amounts. 4 teams UH played had Top 10 Scoring offenses…Memphis, Arizona, USF and SMU and TT was 30 something.

Again go back and watch early games and you will see just how bad man coverage was…thus corners 10 yards off.

im gonna start new thread with some impressive defensive stats…i know your not a stats guy, but even you might be impressed.

lol Oh wow.

My apologies, I’ll help you find the only post that you should take from me.

Start a new thread. lol

I do believe that. I don’t believe he wants give up 600 yards a game or 500 yards a game. But he understands he’s gonna give up yards and considers holding other team to FG a win…obviously would prefer no points.

AAC is about offense as Championship game showed…those 2 defenses were not existent. Both gave up over 600 yards. Memphis gave up 42 points and 600 yards but beat UCLA. And this board is crying that UH allowed Tulane 20 points, SMH. The issue is the offense scoring 17. CMA said in presser, “You can’t win in this league scoring 17 points”…what we did vs Tulsa and Tulane.

1 Like

Your gonna love it…my Xmas present to you

1 Like

Awww thanks man, you didn’t have to! lol