Official Game Thread: Tulsa 2018 (W 41-26)

I used to live in Nolanville, Jarrell, and Temple, before moving to Grand Prairie, then back to Houston. Very familiar with Belton. Hope you have a wonderful time there…

1 Like

UH OH…say it is not so…

I was at the game too and people were leaving after the third quarter. I can’t say I blame them because it was pretty ugly. Glad I stayed to see UH outscored Tulsa 24-3 in the 4th. They have to play better because they won’t get away with this against better teams.

2 Likes

Well, I’m back from the game and read all of the posts. Some of you guys were near the ledge. I was getting ticked at all of the runs up the middle, but when King broke the long one it rejuvenated the whole team. Then the D got it rolling. Actually, they did a lot better tonight and I think CMD has finally noticed what actual blitzes look like and what pressure can do.

I never understand why people leave early just becaue we are behind. Has not the Armed Forces Bowl against Pitt, or the game against Memphis, or so many games in the past not shown them anything? All in all, we turned a turkey into a feast. I see real progress.

9 Likes

That’s true…I bet you still think UNT is much better than we are lol

“Keep all things in perspective grasshopper! “
Hard to do at a game like last night’s but over the course of watching the Coogs since ‘69 I have seen too many games like this and worse. To borrow an old CBY phrase, “Gosh darn” my feet are killing me from standing most of the game. But, at least the two new knees don’t hurt. LOL.

2 Likes

During their recent rough times, Tulsa has been in plenty of close games, they just lose a lot of them. I hope they fire Montgomery because he seems to know how to play us well but if they don’t he will work it out and they’ll be in bowl games soon.

Out of the two units our defense won the day yesterday. Lot more aggressive play and it was a good home game to work on it. Secondary had good moments, showing improvement. Better QB pressure, also showing improvement. Gave up more long runs than usual but I’ll take some of that rather than an opponent give up on the run and pass every down against our secondary. It was nice to see our defense pick our offense up a little, good teams have more than one way to win games.

The offense scored 41 but those 2 late takeaways by the defense were gifts for us and we took advantage. D’Eriq had some huge runs at big times. Greg Ward may have flown in and gave him Greg Ward lessons. DK was a little less accurate than normal but that’s OK, he will be fine. Several drops again, that is going to cost us a close game if it continues. Running game looked good. Offensive line is night and day from last year, lot of improvement.

This was like the beginning of the Rice game ball and momentum just not going our way. Some of that self-inflicted (drops), some just bad luck. That fumble out of bounds call was huge, I thought we got it. Some of that junk evens out we are up double digits at halftime and put them away earlier.

We give up 26 points and score 41 on average we will win our share of conference games. We got out of an ugly game with a double digit win. But now we go on the road against a team that can throw it around the yard. It’s a night game, long trip, ECU will be hungry, their crowd will be loud, and they will be ready. We have got to play better on the road.

4 Likes

If their QB hadnt gotten injured last game, they’d still be undefeated

1 Like

The ECU game worries me. Their defense is better and they run an air raid like Tech. Our DBs have to be better and can’t keep blowing coverages.

4 Likes

Haven’t we learned from the Oilers/Buffalo playoff game from 1993??!..never leave early…you young folks, Google that game…you’ll find out why…

2 Likes

Haha, Very true it even UH/ La Tech in Ruston in about 2010.

3 Likes

Or the Uh/Pitt bowl game where Greg Ward became a Legend…

4 Likes

Watching the replay. Maybe I am paranoid, but the loser announcers kept saying “group of 5” “group of 5”… Clowns

1 Like

McElroy and his pretentious antics obviously didn’t respect us. He kept highlighting the things that we were doing wrong but praising Tulsa even when they made mistakes. Don’t get me started on his take on the bs fumble call… The irony was that the guys during the pre-game were suggesting that UCF be taken seriously(on ESPN, I know) as a playoff contender. I was shook.

1 Like

This isn’t the offense we signed Briles to run. Fire the whole lot.

7 scores 312 yards rushing? That makes you unhappy? Without the Briles offense we wouldn’t have won last night IMO.

6 Likes

You know what’s crazy?? CMD played exactly like we thought he would! bend, but didn’t break and that helped us win the game. It’s true Y’all! After the turnovers, they only got FG. :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

Tulsa had 3 safeties in the back the entire game. We couldn’t go deep like we usually do

1 Like

Why spoil things with facts?

4 Likes

thought you were done
:grinning: