Oh man, I just read that Robert Newhouse died

While Gator was not a touted recruit here, he turned out to be probably the most productive runner we ever had here…and yes, he had legs like tree trunks, second to only Paul Gipson…
Our staff found out about Robert when a Mrs. Bairds breadman, who was also a huge Coog fan, brought a film in of his high school skills…the rest is history…

3 Likes

The Cowboys named him the “Human Bowling Ball” Opponents said trying to tackle him was like trying to tackle a fire hydrant. His second effort was truly amazing.

He was powerful and ran so low to the ground…

He should have won the Heisman in 1971.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any highlights of his games at UH.

The original “Human Bowling Ball” was Charlie Tolar with the Oilers. Anyway, Robert Newhouse was a great Cougar.

Dan,
I had to go back and research his stats and
indeed he had some impressive rushing numbers. To not even be a Heisman finalist just seems very wrong. Looks like we were an independent back then to , so not sure if perhaps not being affiliated with a conference came into play as well with the Heisman award snub ?

Robert’s college receiving stats seemed kinda low as I remembered him being a pretty reliable receiver with the Cowboys. But that was probably just a side
effect of the veer offense. And the fact he got so many yards rushing there was no need to pass it to
him.

1 Like

Certainly arguable but it’s absurd that he wasn’t even among the top 10 in receiving votes. Cornell’s Ed Marinaro came in second playing for an Ivy League school that played one non-conference game against 4-7 Rutgers. UH played Alabama (#4), Arizona State (#16), Colorado (#3), Florida State (#19). Newhouse averaged a yard per carry (6.3) more than Marinaro’s 5.3.

I think Newhouse and Gipson are clearly the all-time 1st team RBs. Probably any two of Dickie Post, Jim Strong, Chuck Weatherspoon, andAlois Blackwell on the 2nd team.

2 Likes

Gotta have Warren McVea and Antowain Smith on
that list somewhere too.

1 Like

They were all so good it is not possible to rank them.