Ohio State = Houston

Something that is not mentioned much on here is that the Houston offense is pretty much the Ohio State offense. Watch Ohio State play and it looks very familiar.

Many folks have been very down on the O after Arizona. One thing though I think is worth pointing out is that we are running a system that a) has won national championships b) tried and tested c) has a very distinct philosophy.

I think that is a very good thing. When Levine was here, can anyone name what we were trying to do offensively besides fixing what wasn’t broken? Me either. It was a collection of plays from the fragments of the Air Raid (at least it was when Bush was in charge).

Our offense all starts with running up the middle and everything flows from that. Not always exciting, not always electrifying, but it works.

Arizona ran a deep cover umbrella zone, so it caused us to throw more to the sides. We were also very balanced. O-line did not give up a sack. Allen had time to throw. We were able to run.

Maybe we won’t be great this year on offense, but I saw a lot to like against Arizona. And it seemed like, well a first game of the season.

Let’s see how it goes, but it seems Applewhite is indeed keeping the blueprint intact unlike Levine. That’s good.

4 Likes

Booooo
facts. Lol

Though, I am not a fan of the Ohio state offense. I like Dana and KK offense the best.

The Air Raid is a blast to watch. But seldom wins championships. Might this year at OU.

1 Like

The BEST offenses statistically are the Air Raid and the Briles O.
But, it will take a toll on the D. Statistcally, it makes the D look bad.
But what REALLY matters is the point differential.
Instead of winning 28-17 the big offenses win 49-35. And the D can be even better in terms of number of points given up per play.

The BEST part of the Air Raid, if run well is that you never feel out of a game, even in the 4th quarter.

1 Like

Indeed.

well said, Portland
All the moaning bout the offense simply is not warranted, given all the circumstances and likely we improve dramatically in week 2, like you are supposed to. Our system wins championships. This is a bit of a transition year, but we will still do very well, when all said and done.

2 Likes

Might not be the best week to say how awesome the OSU offense is considering they only scored 1 TD and it was on a 44 yard drive

OSU, Bama, and teams like that will have at least some success no matter the offense. When you have 4 and 5 star players, especially on the line, you will win lots of games. We don’t have All American RBs, WRs, etc like they’ve had

Maybe we should run the Bama offense since it has won the most championships recently. Except I think we tried something similar under Helton

3 Likes

I think you missed my point. My point is we have a philosophy in place and this offensive philosophy has been good to great for us the past two seasons. Judging just on the Arizona game is short sighted IMHO .

Let’s see how it goes before condemning. Maybe we are mediocre this year IDK. Too early to tell.

4 Likes

JT Barrett is inaccurate and they have lost many players to the draft. Can’t be the best every year.

We know first hand it works, IF you have all the pieces.

Dual threat QB, power rb, shifty slot, tall strong receivers, blocking te, run blocking oline. If you dont have any of these then the machine will not run as well. Doesn’t mean the system is broken.

1 Like

[quote=“Coogfans2ndAdmin, post:8, topic:8269, full:true”] Too early to tell.
[/quote]

THIS.

Coogfans aren’t used to the idea of having a good defense. No reason to have a aggressive offense when you have such a good d with Oliver and Co.

I’ll gladly trade a few conference championships and NY6s for an exciting ball game.

1 Like

Was the offensive philosophy great the last 2 years or was Greg Ward great the last 2 years? As bad as the offense was for most of Levine’s tenure, it wasn’t horrible at the end of the 2014 once Ward took over

2 Likes

How many of these do we have? One? Does that mean we’ll have a great philosophy this year, but it won’t work well?

1 Like

In 1989, we had both. As amazing as that offense was, the defense was just as good although largely overlooked

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t think our offense will be dominant this year. My prediction for this year was and is 8-4. Bad corners, lack of pressure with a 4 man front, and an average running game seemed like a formula for an average season.

Herman recruited Allen here to bridge the gap. We have 2 young QB’s that fit the system much better.

Someone else on another board mentioned our terrible luck concerning wr’s. Injuries have robbed us of quality depth. Could be 2-3 years before we are where we want to be, considering bonner and dunber are seniors.
Our o-line played very well against Zona. Maybe they have turned the corner and we can start grinding teams down.
We have a 6’0 200 lb rb commited from dallas for 2018. Plus the continued development of mulbah Car. Not exactly Ezekiel Elliott, but looks promising.

Can’t be 13-1 every season. Nothing is wrong with the philosphy if you have a down year. TCU and Michigan St shouldnt tear it all down because they had down years last year.

I am willing to wait seeing as we won a peach bowl with it.

1 Like

Renu said we will fire coaches that go 8-4. Applewhite said 9-3 is not good enough for UH

And again you said that this philosophy won a Peach Bowl. I’d say Ward won a Peach Bowl. Unless you’re depending on KA to lead the team in rushing like Ward did. If so, I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment

EDIT
 and defense for the Peach Bowl win

1 Like

NTXCOOG:
Renu said we will fire coaches that go 8-4. Applewhite said 9-3 is not good enough for UH

Do you truly believe Applewhite will be fired if he goes 8-4 in his 1st year? I think that was said to placate disappointed fans after Herman left.

NTXCOOG:
And again you said that this philosophy won a Peach Bowl. I’d say Ward won a Peach Bowl. Unless you’re depending on KA to lead the team in rushing like Ward did. If so, I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment
EDIT
 and defense for the Peach Bowl win

You are not goving enough credit to the other players. You don’t average 40 points because of 1 person. We had 2 sr tackles and a fb/te that made many great blocks on sweeps. We had a NFL caliber receiver in the slot. Dunbar and Chance Allen pummeled cb’s on bubble screens. Farrow and Jackson were a fierce 1-2 punch.

Look at ward in 2016. Terrible oline, catalon averaging 3 ypc, and no deep threat.

1 Like

Blah-Blah-Blah. We’ve played one game folks.

3 Likes

One game is a better measure than no games. We had people rank a team that lost to Kansas a year ago after no games :wink:

6 Likes