Oklahoma & Nebraska?

Nebraska beat LSU 21 to 20 in the 1982 Orange Bowl and 17 to 12 in the 1970 Orange Bowl. They also beat them in two Sugar Bowls, 30 - 15 and 28-10 in 1986 and 1984 respectively. LSU is 0-5-1 against Nebraska.

Must have been Gary Gibbs at OU who wasn’t good not art shell. I do recall LSU couldn’t find a way to beat Neb over those yrs.

There are always a bunch of factors that go together for winning or losing.

I think the postings about Prop 48 was a big impact, but also moving out of the regional Big 8 and Texas (Big 12) regions hurt their exposure. Now they are Wisconsin light in the B1G.

Coaching and school support can have a big impact as well on continuity of a program.

1 Like

Aggies first year in the SEC, they went 11-2 (then 9-4, 8-5) following a 7-6 season in the Big 12.

Missouri final Big 12 started SEC at 5-7, 12-2, 11-3 after going 8-5 in final Big 12 year.

Arkansas was 3-8 then 6-6 in SWC moved and went 6-6, 3-7 in SEC so little change.

None of these schools had a noticeable drop in records when moving to the SEC to show that it is a much tougher conference. A&M improved first year with Big 12 players.

I do not point this out to justify the Big 12, but it is the same description used to say the AAC sucks and it is exaggerated, when in reality, the differences among conferences when looking at individual schools is not as great as many make it out to be. Only used by fans (and media) of the SEC or B1G to justify when they lose a game.

2 Likes

Nebraska found out what happens when you join a conference with UT, and they had the good sense to go to the Big 10, where at least they are treated as equals. It hasn’t been good for their football program, but I give them credit for doing what’s good for their university.

3 Likes

I don’t understand everyone completely bagging on UT. They have done a lot to deserve it, but not 100% them.

Not wanting to let Nebraska be the only school with Prop 48 athletes sounds like giving all schools the same guidelines.

As for unequal revenue sharing, A&M, and Nebraska both voted against equal shares as well. After the teams that wanted unequal left, then the Big 12 set rules for equal sharing.

For the Longhorn network, UT first asked other schools to join in, based on the history and stories I heard. Not UT’s fault A&M (and others) turned them down.

Arrogance, well yeah that’s all UT.

No UT didn’t offer anyone but ATM a small share of the Longhorn network. Like the PUF, UT wanted ATM to accept a much smaller share than the horns get. ATM rightfully told them to go fly a kite.

UT-austin is Satan’s place. It should come as no big surprise to any UH fans that AustiNTexAS spelled backwords (and jumbled just a bit) is SATAN.

1 Like

Blake set Stoops up in terms of talent

OU is close to Dallas and North Texas - same amount it takes to get there it’s the same to houston so they have a great advantage plus access to Midwest States. And they are the big dog close to the biggest city in the state.

1 Like

Curious to your source. I always enjoy getting more complete information.

I have based my thoughts on an article (actually 2-3) I read many years ago that discussed the process. They talked about a process of starting a channel with several schools (One mentioned a statewide channel others different schools like OU included). The larger option failed, then they tried to work out a UT & A&M option. Then they were left with just UT when everyone else said no. Whether all schools were offered equal income from it, I don’t remember reading.

I hate this guy but he hits it on the head.

https://twitter.com/theherd/status/1281305215791067136?s=21

1 Like

I like watching him from time to time. I don’t know what you hate him for, but I like him.

1 Like

At our high school in the Dallas area, as many or more grads go to OU than A&M. It’s as close, or closer, and the Texas/OU game is played in town every year. It appears to be a good fallback for those that don’t get into UT.

1 Like

I often travel to OKC for work. The Friday afternoon nonstop Southwest Airlines flight from OKC to Hobby is probably 15% to 20% OU students coming home to H-town for the weekend. Admission to both UT-Austin and TAMU has become so competitive, lots of Houston-area kids with means end up going to CU, OU or LSU.

1 Like

I don’t like him because he trashes Keenum.

1 Like

Yes, Cowherd is spot in here. And what he and everyone else is missing is that Nebraska used to have a “thing”. They were a triple option team. That was their identity. They went away from their identity when they fired Solich and never recovered. It’s too bad because they used to have something that set them apart.

1 Like

Well it’s why the state needs to make UH a flagship and we need to be in a P5 then less kids will leave the state. It’s been proven that once kids leave Texas for out of state schools , they are less likely to come back and their loyalties reside elsewhere. UT and A$M wouldn’t be hurt by UH in this regard because the state can support 4 to 5 major universities in p5s and as flagships.

Well it’s why the state needs to make UH a flagship and we need to be in a P5 then less kids will leave the state. It’s been proven that once kids leave Texas for out of state schools , they are less likely to come back and their loyalties reside elsewhere. UT and A$M wouldn’t be hurt by UH in this regard because the state can support 4 to 5 major universities in p5s and as flagships.

Top25, you are being redundant. :wink: