Only 3 of Chronicle'sTop 100 commit to UH

I couldn’t say this better myself.

It’s been like this for 50 years

1 Like

I honestly don’t put too much stock in the rankings. There are some really great Coogs that have been walk-ons, 2 stars, etc. If people don’t live up to or exceed their rankings then our results on the field suffer. Some of it also has to do with coaching up the players.

Sorry to mention his name because I despise him but Briles found a lot of hidden gems and he coached them up. CMA seems to be finding all of these hidden gems, we’ll just have to wait and see how they pan out.

How do you think these lists get put together? How much analysis do you think goes into them? You don’t think these guys just go to the coaches they like and ask them who they like, do you? I do.

Maybe the reason is because we are getting better players elsewhere.

Maybe, like a lot of kids, they want to get out of town and go somewhere new.

Maybe the players read the constant negative posts about CMA on the boards by people who didn’t like the hire before he coached a single day because he went to UT.

Regardless of where we are getting them, we have a very good class lined up and maybe you shouldn’t worry about where we get them.

We have another commit that was named preseason top 100. Peyton Sawyer. And idk how they come up with the list because the preseason list is almost the same as the post season top 100. But idk how they select the players because Peyton Sawyer’s stats this season are bigger than some of the post season top 100 players’ stats and some of our other commits’. So I don’t know if they are judging by the games or stats or films or just bs things. I think the reputation also has something to do with it. Over all as a player Peyton Sawyer would be a top 100. He is one of the most dangerous return men in the state. Undersized and under recruited. I agree with most of the other players listed especially the obvious top players but some of it kind of seems blind. So I’m not too worried about our incoming class. They seem legit and seem like all around athletic. Just need to be utilized correctly.

4 Likes

We might not be getting the star heavy recruits. Especially in his first year (like TH) but id want kids with underrated talent than kids who might bust. Look at how many underrated players we have in NFL teams. I trust CMA and his eye for talent.

2 Likes

Would you rather have an underrated 3 star with a chip on his shoulder or an entitled 5 star?

1 Like

If you have a qualified coach then definitely the 5 Star.

Do you think saban doesn’t get entitled 5 star players ?

We aren’t Alabama but a good coach’s job is to train and manage the talent he gets.

To blame the 5 star player because the coach isn’t skilled enough to handle him deflects the blame.

Not that I care but I wonder how former UH coaches (and former aggy coaches and soon to be former whorn coaches) would reply to that question today versus before becoming UH coaches.

3 Likes

I was wondering the same…where was Peyton? Having seen him play, there is nothing to knock him out of the top 100 area recruits…soft hands, deceptive speed and a very good pattern runner. If anything, he should have moved up a few spots.

1 Like

The idea predates the proclamation made by our former coach. We don’t need a fancy sign or recruiting graphic to pull from the city. It’s alive and well. IMO

Nothing has changed; the whorns and gaggies have always gotten the highest rated players, and UH has recruited from the left-overs and then beaten those higher rated players - when the whorns and gaggies had enough courage to play us.

Great coaches have that effect!

2 Likes

Our record vs UT is 7-16-2 so we lost more against their higher rated players than we won.

Against aTM we are 12-19-3

1 Like

Bingo, lots of great Jimmies and Joe’s typically beat just great X’s and O’s.

I don’t think anyone it’s expecting us to lock Houston down from everyone or even grab multiple top 20 players year in and year out. But this is our home area we should have a significant prescence in the top 100 year in and out. I would think a top 30 guy every year and at least 5-7 commits of of the most reputable recruiting list possible for the area. I understand that’s not always possible but as an average.