OOC schedule

Very good point. We will be getting the benefit of the doubt now.

2 Likes

Disappointing home schedule, for sure. BYU and Okie State are the marquee games. Last year, it was LSU and Oregon.

I think both teams will be in the Big Dance in March, however.

I was hoping for one marquee match up. I think our conference schedule this year will give us a lot of quality games.

Wait. Is UTEP supposed to be good this year? Just looked at the basketball madness countdown for the 2019 season. They have UTEP as a top 125 team. If so, that leaves us with only 3 potential Q4 games. They have UTEP as a sleeper to win CUSA.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17602

1 Like

1 Like

As everyone’s discussed, this isn’t a great OOC overal but it’s not terrible for NET. The home slate though definitely leaves something to be desired though from a pizazz standpoint.

Yeah, especially how the fans came out BIG during those big games at home last year. I would’ve like to maybe add a big game at home, but I’m okay with the schedule. Just win.

Of course, the problem with getting a BIG name opponent to come here and play (home and home) is that those guys do not wish to have their asses handed to them.

As our program continues to excel, they might start coming. As some one said, they play in these pre season tourneys and conference challenges to satisfy their needs.

1 Like

Big name programs most likely play a non-conference schedule made up mostly of home games - say 75/25 or about 7-8 home games to only 2-3 road games.

It’s kind of like in college football where some schools earn ~$10 million/home FB game, I would think that some schools might earn ~$1 million/home BB game.

So getting big name teams to come play UH in Fertitta Center is a big, big stretch and highly unlikely.

1 Like

I was looking at a couple of the big name basketball schools and they play almost no one of consequence out of conference unless they are part of a tournament or a conference challenge like the ACC/B1G Challenge.

1 Like

Given that CKS states that we will not schedule schools who will not do home and home ( which I totally agree with), then there may not be any so called big name schools coming to the FC.

If it happens, it will most likely be because of coaching friendships like in the Pender’s era.

You may have noticed that many of the so called P5 football conferences are trying to schedule more P5 OOC games in football. As their remaining games will be warm ups against sun belt or cusa teams, the AAC may be slowly getting marginalized.

The future will be interesting.

3 Likes

I wonder if KS will try to schedule a game in Indiana before long. Dean Smith used that as a recruiting kicker. If you sign with us I’ll schedule a game near your hometown so all you family and friends can come see you.

1 Like

I think we have a great schedule; the Coogs are in every game!

Munzell, I imagine it was a lot easier for Dean Smith to get a team to schedule North Carolina than it is for Sampson to get a team to schedule UH.

1 Like

Most would like to see a couple marquee names come to the Fertitta Center but the overall schedule is fine. We will play a number of big games in conference and have a chance to win a lot of OOC games.
Let’s win all our home games and have a good showing at Oregon, South Carolina and Hawaii.

I felt the BYU win was huge last season and I think USC can have the same impact on this team.

1 Like

If he does, it won’t be with Indiana. Those folks hate him with a passion.

3 Likes

They’re going to hate him more as he starts to out recruit Indiana in Indiana. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sycamores!!!

Indiana State would be terrific…would be a great reason to visit my old stomping grounds!

1 Like

our schedule just took a crazy hit

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1159952011548385281

byu’s best player
for “signing with an agent was impermissible due to the fact that he signed before filing paperwork required by the NCAA.”

byu season is essneitally done, they play in a mid-major and have to do most of their work in the non conference …they have to over schedule in the non-con becuase of their conference is weak (sans gonzaga)…of their known schedule, they arent winning a single game in their 1st 9 games without yoeli…
we’ll be huge favorites in that game

1 Like