Opening Line SMU

So if the offense was designed for KA, why did it still have the run pass offense as its base?

That’s the million dollar question. I wish someone would ask that in the next coach’s show. Just because it’s absurd, doesn’t mean it’s not true.

1 Like

That’s because it’s still a part of the Coog offense. It’s what we want to do. Again, we are not going to run out 5 WR sets 50/70 plays we want to run on offense a game. This isn’t Art Briles, this is more like Urban Myer. What OC’s do is tweak the offense depending on personnel. Having RPOs regardless of your QB, makes it tougher on the defense.It forces them to be disciplined with their eyes,and allows you to put them on their heels quickly if you can execute and run with tempo. I think a while back you said something along the lines of us having to have perfect execution every play in order for this playbook to work. I disagree again; if we want to continue to make it tough on defenses, we need to keep the RPOs. It’s the power-spread’s version of the triple option. Now imagine this offense with out the RPO element
woah

Tweak it all you want, but when the defense sees you hand off the ball 100% of the time on a read option, eventually the defense shuts down the run and somehow the offensive line takes the blame.

1 Like

Oh no, I wouldn’t dream of blaming the O line. They’ve been pretty darn good. Especially on stretches and counters. I’m sure that KP will be keeping the ball on a lot of RPOs, on his grit alone;he’s a competitor. My only concern with him is that I haven’t seen him scan the field. We run a lot of quick slants, 5-yard outs and 10-yard comebacks. Those can be easy to read,and if a defense knows to look for 3 routes, they can be jumped. We all knows what happens when a corner jumps a route. :slight_frown:

What would be cool is if we can get some option routes-where the wr runs the pattern based on what he sees vs zone. That, however requires a lot of chemistry. It’s very back yard football like but could add excitement and energy. It also is hard to stop. There is also the Idea of slow releasing a TE into the flat or up the seam to make the Linebackers have to cover an extra person as well. I’m not over looking Smoo (they’re not our toughest game on the schedule), but Postma has plenty of time to get ready for Memphis and beyond. If we haven’t got it together by then
then we panic. lol

I’ve said since before the first snap of the season, I think Postma brings more to the table than Allen but because of what extra he brings. Chances are though, he can’t go a full season as a starter without getting hurt. Temple has some decent talent on defense but not the kind of talent some of the others have and Postma still got pretty banged up. On the King TD run, Postma threw a key block. The coaches need to let Postma do his thing the first few drives and then pull back the reins a little if he keeps it too often just for the sake of keeping him healthy longer. From what I have seen so far in coaching decisions, seems like they make a plan and then stick with it no matter how it’s going.

First game, Allen keep the ball on goal line read option and fumbled. He kept it at least once

1 Like

We didn’t have the RPO option with Allen because he never ran with the ball. You have the formation, but not the option. It’s like running the wishbone with a 150 pound fullback, you’re never going to hand it to him and the opponent knows it

So the playcalling may have been slightly different for Allen, but the offense was never tailored to KA. If it was, they wouldn’t have been using an offense designed for the QB to have over 500 rushing yards in the season which Allen was never going to do

I think this has to do with reps. It’s hard to make corrections during the game and if you have a bunch of QBs splitting reps every week in practice it would seem harder to gauge what’s working. I’m also concerned about depth. My next question is, did Greg Smith red-shirt? If not, and the Postman goes down, do we want to put KA back in? Or do we want to see what the true freshman has?

1 Like

lol True.

I think you mean Bryson Smith? I’m assuming he’s red-shirting this year and if KP goes down, we’ll see D’Eriq King. Might see King anyway.

1 Like

Again, I don’t know why he wasn’t keeping it (could be coaching), but the holes were there. The decision to keep isn’t always exclusive to home run threat QBs. He can pick up 10 and slide. Especially if the field has been open as of late. As far as him not rushing for 500 in a season
 C’mon
 we play 12 regular season games. 500/12=40 yards a game. That’s doable.

Yep you are right. Went back to check. Ironically, Arizona had 8 men in the box when he handed it off the first time and 7 men in the box when he kept it the second time. In other words, to the left the first time, there was three receivers and three defenders. The second time there was three receivers and four defenders. It might be the reason they took the read option away from Allen after that.