Opponent Watch 2018: Arizona

Oh man. Hanging 100 on Rice with Tom Herman at the helm is the stuff dreams are made of.

9 Likes

Laughing it off sums up the man that he is. The proper way to answer this could have been a simple sorry and move on from more questions. He is adding fuel to the fire. That is idiotic and speak greatly of his character. It is appalling and frankly I am very disappointed in Duarte for letting him off the hook. When you answer like this hard questions should have been flying. This is not funny not funny at all Mr.Duarte. Moreover his categorical answers about our last game preparation and execution tell me everything. As a Coach I can tell you that it was crystal clear that our Team was not prepared and he/scumlin did not have a proper game plan.
Now let’s look at the facts. Who benefited from his exit?
scumlin and atm
Who lost & how much?
U of H and millions of Dollars. Dollars that we did not have & desperately needed. Recruits that thought twice after he left.
I can forgive everyone. I am a Christian but to laugh it off like this? How are you freaking kidding me?
Like I mentioned earlier. the proper way to welcome him will be to have 40,000 fans turn their backs on him. That would make a great statement to a so called Coach and leader of Men.

7 Likes

Exactly!!!

1 Like

Herman will be at UT for a good while, lets not kid ourselves. only other job I see him going to is if he wants to go to the nfl.

You’re assuming he’ll be successful at UT and leave of his own volition. If he doesn’t have UT back in playoff-caliber standing pretty soon, the boosters there won’t let him stick around.

3 Likes

I got them winning the big 12 this season and possibly making the playoffs. I’m not salty about herman leaving like some of you guys are. i hate UT with a passion and hope they fail like the rest of you guys do but I’m being real.

Yep I think UT will win Big 12 also, who else will?
OU lost Bakerfield, maybe TCU or Okie State, but that’s abou it, so my money would be on Texas with that Orlando defense

2 Likes

I think Oklahoma still owns the Big 12 and it isn’t going to be close. They lose Mayfield and replace him with Kyler Murray and they return most of their offense from last year while still having a solid defense.

Orlando and the defense will be solid for the Horns, but I don’t buy that offense, especially without any seasoned weapons yet. Horns lose at least 2-3 games in conference and maybe 1-2 out of conference. They’ll probably finish 2nd and the Big 12 will get it’s big money championship game that it wants.

3 Likes

Scorching hot take.

1 Like

all of texas offensive guys were underclassmen, i think the offense will be much better this season. ellinger will have an improved year and their receivers will be good. only thing they should worry about is the run game but Daniel Young at least has experience as a freshman. their schedule is easy too if they beat usc at texas.

Comes down to who wins the championship game. OU win means a berth in the ESPN invitational. Whorn win means big12 is left out in the cold.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-football-rankings/os-sp-college-football-rankings-arizona-0626-story.html

Outlook: Sumlin averaged close to nine wins a season during his decade of coaching at Houston and Texas A&M and at one time was considered a hot coaching commodity. It wasn’t enough to save his job at Texas A&M.

Sumlin is no stranger to coaching a player of Tate’s caliber, previously mentoring Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel. If Sumlin can duplicate some of that success with Tate, the sky’s the limit for the quarterback.

A division title may be a bit too much to ask during Sumlin’s first season, but a sixth bowl appearance in the past seven years is well within reach.

As for between the hash marks, the most daunting project is one for which no literal blueprint exists: How will this offense and its surplus of precocious talent acclimate to Sumlin? During the spring game, the Wildcats’ offense committed five first-half turnovers and multiple penalties and had difficulty with snap counts.

With five new coaches on the offensive side of the ball — including Sumlin, who will coach tight ends — growing pains are inevitable. “We hope so,” new running backs coach Clarence McKinney said after the scrimmage. “If the offense is ahead of the defense right now, it’ll be a long season.”

It isn’t, and it won’t be. However, between now and the Sept. 1 opener against BYU, the Wildcats’ offense and its coaches will need to develop better cohesion. As for personnel, the greatest concern will be replacing three starters from an offensive line that blazed a trail of 309.3 rushing yards per game in 2017. Only the dedicated triple-option offenses of Army and Navy gained more ground per contest last season, but the Cadets and Midshipmen needed 13 and 16 more attempts per game, respectively, to do so.

If the Wildcats and first-year O-line coach Joe Gilbert are to replicate that success, new starters at both guard positions and right tackle must mature quickly. A more immediate concern for Gilbert will be the absence of veteran left tackle Layth Friekh for the season’s first two games.

With 34 starts at left tackle for the Wildcats, 6-foot-5, 302-pound Friekh is not just the line’s stalwart veteran, but also the team’s. Friekh appeared in one game in 2014 as a true freshman. Because the new rules for redshirt eligibility are not retroactive, Arizona petitioned the NCAA for the Glendale, Ariz., native to be granted a fifth season of eligibility. The NCAA ruled in the school’s favor with the caveat that Friekh must sit out the season’s first two games.

Why is that such a big deal? Game 2 is a visit to Houston, whose roster includes defensive lineman Ed Oliver, the reigning Outland Trophy winner and possible No. 1 overall selection in the 2019 NFL Draft. It’s the kind of individual matchup a gamer such as Friekh has waited a lifetime for. Alas, the scheduling gods (and the NCAA) have decided that he will not meet Oliver, but he will play against Southern Utah one week later.

I don’t get the LT matchup with Ed. Seems like an attempt to fabricate something that really isn’t there between NT and LT. Also the “precocious talent” description might be a first for me when reading something about CFB.

Ed tended to move around the DL a bit and didn’t just stay at NT. It wasn’t often, but there were times when he was lined up inside the LT.

I think the bigger problem for Arizona is that they may have to use the LG more to help the LT out which may free Big Ed. If not, Chambers or Carter could be 1-1 with an inexperienced LT, or the Coogs could bring pressure that way via blitzes from a LB or the Nickelback to overload and cause confusion.

Well said. He is not that important to me or mine.

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1015000132490850304

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1016359091181113344

Is there any chance we honor the 10 yr anniversary of the 2008 UH team during the Arizona game? 2008 was the year we broke our streak 28 year streak of not winning a bowl game. It was also the first year Sumlin was a head coach.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1021145629408546821