Opponent Watch 2019-20: Memphis

Rofl

FC is going to be loud for that game. Cant wait hopefully by then penny wins the championship 3rd place.

1 Like

6 Likes

Yikes

Hopefully we are getting trolled like Cincinnati painting their field black …

That made me lmfao. The color is alright.

blue condoms?

2 Likes

lol :rofl:

Penny Hardaway interview with Jon

“We’re taking on the personality of this city, you know,” Hardaway said on 92.9 FM ESPN’s Jason and John show Tuesday. “And, it’s just that we’re not afraid of anybody. And, I know it’s not coach speak to a lot of these guys around the country. I’ve actually seen it flip a million ways. It went from, ‘We want to win the national championship’ to ‘Penny promises that we’re going to win a national championship.’ … Like, y’all could put all the nonsense out in the air that you want, it’s not going to change who we are and what we really want to do.”

That goal, the Memphis coach said, is to become top dog despite all the “nonsense” and hype surrounding his team. That’s a message Hardaway delivered both Monday and Tuesday on the radio, insisting his team is still “the hunters” and not “the hunted” even after signing the No. 1 recruiting class in the country.

“I honestly still think we’re still the hunters because Cincinnati and Houston are still strong teams,” Hardaway said Monday. “Those teams are ahead of us now because they have the veteran players. They’ve proven it. Especially Cincinnati, they’ve been dominant in this conference. So, for us to be the hunted, we have to dethrone somebody.”

Penny is good for the AAC lol. Although you can’t proclaim you are winning the championship but not the hunted at the same time.

1 Like

his point was that the finished 5th last year…you cant just claim you are the king for getting recruits

he is saying they have to be beat us before they put the crown on their head …you have to beat the king to be the king

I get it just funny how he threw that in there to level set some. I’m all for these quotes especially in the preseason. Will definitely make the games even more intense.

Agreed. Personalities like his and Ron Hunter’s will draw more attention and eyeballs to our conference.

3 Likes

In what areas does this team have to improve in order to reach its goals of winning the championship?

It’s pretty simple: defense and rebounding.

Hardaway has made it clear defense is a major point of emphasis this season. The offensive end of the floor will take care of itself. And it’s not that Memphis was a bad defensive team last season (54th in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency). But there is certainly room to improve, and a great defense can sometimes be the difference between an NCAA Tournament team and a championship team.